Podcast #15 - Indie Shmups

Podcast announcements, feedback, and discussion
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Podcast #15 - Indie Shmups

Post by dsheinem »

If you like shmups, this one's got some great interviews for you!

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2010/08/ ... hmups.html

And a contest!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Podcast #15 - Indie Shmups

Post by noiseredux »

great episode, Dave. First off I loved the topic. :) Maybe you've noticed that I've really gotten hooked on 2D Shmups in the past year? So this episode made me really happy. Suggestion: I'd love a sort of sister-episode that would maybe have interviews with Shmup developers of yesteryear. How awesome would that be? But I digress...

One thing I noticed Dave was that the guests (all of them) seemed to be really excellent in the art of being interviewed. Meaning, they were forthcoming and interesting without needing extensive goading from you. This played to the benefit of the listener for sure.

I'm actually going go give it another listen, becuz I felt that there was so much info being said that I would actually get stuck thinking about one point and then realize that a few minutes had gone by and I missed things.

Anyway, great stuff.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Thanks noise, I appreciate the thoughtful feedback. Shmups are probably my favorite genre, so this was a lot of fun. I would love to do a show on classic shmups at some point, but it is hard to track down some of the Japanese developers I might want to talk to and even harder to find one that can do an interview in English.

I'm curious what you thought of the editorial on the word "shmups" near the end. Do you like this idea for an occasional recurring feature? My hope is to feature guest editorials as well, as I already do enough jawing on each show!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Actually Dave, I haven't heard the end yet. My commute ended in the middle of the 3rd interview. So I'll be listening to the end tonight. I do like the idea of reoccurring features and guests editorials as well. You've said in the past that you want to make the Rackboy Podcast like NPR for retro video game enthusiasts, and I think this is why it's my favorite Podcast (I'm not just saying that cuz we're bros. :lol: ), as I listen to NPR a lot! So to me, the show is a great listen. I like the idea of variety of segments within each episode and I like how factual a lot of it is (I enjoy learning about this stuff).

Anyway, just to mention on a personal note -- growing up I was never into Shmups. "They're all the same boring thing" I thought. Nowadays I love them. And though many of mine are horizontal, I'm actually a bigger fan of verticals. Just saying.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

So stoked about listening to this -- DLing on my phone now and will listen on my trip after work!
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

enjoyed this one as well. great job David! 8)
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Purkeynator
64-bit

Post by Purkeynator »

mmmmmmmm shmups. Can't wait. Love them!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Got to listen to the first 70 mins of it so far --- been incredibly fascinating!
Dave, you really have been doing a great job at both asking questions and finding great guests :)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I did like the editorial at the end. I had never thought about the fact that nobody officially even uses the word. I feel like it's a pet-name, only used both those that love the genre.

BTW I never use the word for say Contra or Alien Hominid. If I say Shmup I mean Gradius, Darius, R-Type, Parodius, Ikaruga, Chaos Field, etc.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Hmmm...so only one person is interested in winning the free Gundemonium games?