Podcast #8: Phantasy Star

Podcast announcements, feedback, and discussion
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Podcast #8: Phantasy Star

Post by dsheinem »

In the third Together Retro tie-in show, I interviewed an expert on Phantasy Star, Benoit Renard from The Phantasy Star Cave.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/podcast/ ... -star.html

The next several interviews will be recorded on the road with people actually sitting down with me, so I'm quite excited about that. Hope you all enjoy this one!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Podcast #8: Phantasy Star

Post by noiseredux »

Awe, I kept meaning to PM you my question. Maybe you asked it anyway. It was "so the 3D dungeons... WTF?"
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

3D dungeons were pretty typical of PC RPGs of the time. Ultima, Wizardry, Might & Magic, the Bard's Tale. They all featured first person "3d" dungeons.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hatta wrote:3D dungeons were pretty typical of PC RPGs of the time. Ultima, Wizardry, Might & Magic, the Bard's Tale. They all featured first person "3d" dungeons.

To add to this, this sub-genre of RPG is commonly referred to as a true dungeon crawler. Many of the most popular RPG series from the 1980s in the US are of this design, and it influenced such later series as Elder Scrolls. Think of it as the Western RPG versus the Japanese RPG.
aarenlainey

Post by aarenlainey »

Phantasy Star Online series has made the rounds to just about every single console, yet every release has seen some sort of addition in the form of extra levels or character classes. The Xbox version of Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II is no different. Though there isn't really any new content, this version of the game possesses one thing that was sorely lacking in its GameCube counterpart--a form of communication that's just as simple to use as the game's built-in symbol chat and less cumbersome than holding a keyboard in your lap.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so although there was some language issues here and there -- GREAT SHOW. I must say Phantasy Star was my favorite TR of the year so far. It meant a lot to me to beat the game, and it now holds a special place to me as one of my favorite RPG's. This show made me want to play it again -- though I should move on to 2 and 3. I've since become a total fan, and even love the Online's on GCN. GREEEEAAAT show. And what was that rap song at the end?