Podcast announcements, feedback, and discussion
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Future Shows

Post by dsheinem »

I have many ideas for future shows. These include:

- regular shows that focus on the game(s) in Together Retro
- a show focusing on running retro game stores
- a show on massive collections (and archiving, game rooms, etc.)
- shows dedicated to particular consoles, development teams, etc. (we'll probably keep the game/series focused shows linked to TR)
- shows that focus on game art/illustration
- shows that focus on the history of particular companies, people, etc (think : G4's icons)
- shows that focus on fan art
- show on game studies/scholarship
- "on the road" shows at a few conventions...
- shows on game music
- shows on fan remixes/game-related bands

- and many more...

I'd love to hear what ideas you have - specific topics, guests , etc. For now, the shows will be primarily interview driven, so keep that in mind. There's also no guarantee that we'll do the show you suggest - but it would be great to have some general thinking to help shape the podcast.

Ideally, the podcast can reflect the strengths (and interests) of this community - so your input is essential!
Ack

Re: Future Shows

Post by Ack »

I think a show on international gaming might be interesting. We have members on here from around the world, including some from nations that I don't think of when I think of game releases. For instance, we've got guys in Greece, Estonia, Bahrain, Panama, South Africa, etc. It might be pretty cool for those of us in USA, Canada, UK, Australia, and Japan to hear how the gaming community is viewed in these other nations.

Just a thought.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

I'd like to hear a show on enthusiast hardware. Maybe talk to the guy who built the Replica I (Apple I clone), the guy who built the upcoming Atari 2600 Harmony cart, the guy making Atari 2600 svideo boards (longhorn engineer), someone from Team Neo (who just released a megadrive flash cart (it rules buy one)). And so on.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

How about a show based on modding consoles? I'm not talking about chips and stuff, I mean the sort of stuff that Bacteria is doing with his portables. That would be pretty interesting.

Also, I second the suggestion of an "international gaming" themed show.
executioner
Next-Gen

Post by executioner »

Ack wrote:I think a show on international gaming might be interesting. We have members on here from around the world, including some from nations that I don't think of when I think of game releases. For instance, we've got guys in Greece, Estonia, Bahrain, Panama, South Africa, etc. It might be pretty cool for those of us in USA, Canada, UK, Australia, and Japan to hear how the gaming community is viewed in these other nations.

Just a thought.

I like that one and could contribute from this part of the world.
Consoles: NES, Famicom, SNES, GC, GB DMG, GB Pocket, GBC, GBA, DSI XL, N64, VBoy, NDS, 3DSXL, Wii, SMS, GEN+CD+32X, GG, SAT, DC, WS, WS Color, NGPC, XBOX, 360, PS1, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3, 3DO, CD-I, NGCD, Actionmax, TG16+CD, TE, PCE-DUO, Odyssey2, Playdia, 2600, Lynx & JAG.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I'd like to hear some stuff on homebrew Saturn games and stuff like that. Also just talking about games would be cool.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

A segment on blast processing.

Maybe something about remakes and rereleases of games? Like comparing the DS FFIV to the SNES version?
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

All the ideas so far are excellent so I will see what I can do. If the podcast proves to be popular, I could see doing more than one a month at some point - especially during Dec/Jan and during the Summer (when my schedule is more open).

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Also just talking about games would be cool.

Actually, I have heard too many podcasts where they "just talk" about games and they are usually annoying and unfocused. One exception would probably be Retronauts, but even with that show, too often the discussion is just reminiscing amongst the 1UP staff. I find the best podcasts bring in knowledgeable guests who can actually speak about a game (or any other topic) in a way that moves beyond what you'd find in a review and discusses more than just the basics of the play experience. I think that, for now, discussion of specific games would be tied to Together Retro and would feature guests who have some direct connection to the game(s) featured.
harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n »

First of all, I've been reading racketboy for a long time and decided to join the forums to share my enthusiasm with other people. The pilot episode was very nice, it's always inspiring and and insighful to hear about how some of our fav sites came to be. After hearing all those well-conducted interviews I immediately thought you should interview the editor of my all time favourite retrogaming magazine, Darran Jones of Retrogamer magazine. He's a very approachable guy who is in contact with some of the legends of the industry and has heavily contributed to the retro community for years.

In any case, I'm looking forward to the next episode and hope you all the best!
Gnashvar
128-bit

Post by Gnashvar »

harlequ1n wrote:First of all, I've been reading racketboy for a long time and decided to join the forums to share my enthusiasm with other people. The pilot episode was very nice, it's always inspiring and and insighful to hear about how some of our fav sites came to be. After hearing all those well-conducted interviews I immediately thought you should interview the editor of my all time favourite retrogaming magazine, Darran Jones of Retrogamer magazine. He's a very approachable guy who is in contact with some of the legends of the industry and has heavily contributed to the retro community for years.

In any case, I'm looking forward to the next episode and hope you all the best!

Phillyman from retromags could be a good interview. Saving old magazines in digital format is a great project. Just like his main page says: "because sooner or later your wife will throw them out!"
Thanks everyone...