Equipment Suggestions

Podcast announcements, feedback, and discussion
Niode
Next-Gen

Re: Equipment Suggestions

Post by Niode »

Behringer gear is very iffy at best. It's cheap for a reason. It might work for a while, but I wouldn't bank on it lasting long though.

Those Zoom recorders are pretty good, I've used the Zoom H4, very easy to use, audio quality is pretty good, and you can just plug it in with USB and drag and drop files. Dead easy. Plus they run on AA batteries, VERY useful for field recordings, no faffing around with lithium batteries, if it runs out you can just dash to the shop and get some AAs.

If you did want to get a H4 (rather than the H2) then you can use it as a USB audio interface (it has 2 mic/line combination inputs with phantom power - required if you want to get a condenser microphone down the line).
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
winds
128-bit

Re: Equipment Suggestions

Post by winds »

If you're on a budget I would go with one of the suggestions already given and either go with an sm58 or an sm57, whichever you can find cheaper. As for a mic pre, on the cheaper side there is a company called art that make some nice cheap ones. I think my buddy bought a 2 channel firewire pre from them for $30 and considering the price I was surprised by how nice it sounded.
You'll definitely want to invest in a pop filter to get rid of the pops that come when emphasizing B and P sounds. If you want to be really thrifty you can make your own out of used pantyhose and a hanger (form a hanger into the shape and put the pantyhose over top). That could always be fixed in editing of course if you know what youre doing but if not go with the pantyhose :P

If you're on a bigger budget i'd go with an elektro-voice RE20 mic. I can almost garauntee you'll love the sound of that mic. It's what almost all radio broadcasters use on their voice cause it's very dark, and bassy sounding. It'll make your voice sound like god :P.

Edit: Just realized this is an old thread that was revived by an out of place post. Sorry. haha
Nintendoes what Nintendon't!

Tangerine Orange Key: 42915767S1