Podcast announcements, feedback, and discussion
User avatar
jfe2
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2350
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Racketboy.com Podcast #1

by jfe2 Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:30 am

racketboy wrote:Complete with splash page :)
http://web.archive.org/web/200105172323 ... chmadness/


That was awesome!
User avatar
RadarScope1
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1718
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:01 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Racketboy.com Podcast #1

by RadarScope1 Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:45 pm

Finally got around to taking a listen as I've been busy the last couple of weeks.

Great show, Dave. I don't have many criticisms, other than the sound issues and frankly I think they are pretty minor. Many of the podcasts I listen to don't have high-quality sound. Better is always, uh, better, though, so I'm sure equipment upgrades would be welcome.

I don't think Dave came off as attached. I'm going to take a guess and say he had a list of questions in front of him and was ready to move on to keep the show moving. That's smart interviewing. I'm surprised at how many mainstream gaming site podcasts don't seem to be very structured. It's just a ramble-fest. I whole-heartedly approve of the goal of NPR vs morning zoo. There are already enough rambling-ass, cross-talking gaming podcasts fill with "bros" out there. I've been on all three of those sites so hearing from the creators was pretty interesting.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 37933
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Racketboy.com Podcast #1 - Indie Retro Gaming Sites

by noiseredux Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:37 pm

Finally listened to the first podcast, and I enjoyed it a lot. Obviously there were the known sound issues, so I won't get into that. But I loved hearing from Kurt Kutala as hg101 is my favorite gaming website. Much like he talked about starting as if videogames were taught in school, I've learned so much from that site. I frequently find myself re-reading articles, or digging into another that I knew nothing about. So it was really nice to hear some background on the background.

Also, it was wonderful hearing from Nick. It's strange and cool to hear what he and Dave sound like (neither of them have the voices I expected, though I tend to imagine posters based on their avatars, so in my mind Nick is still like 15 and Dave is a big scary monster). It's just really awesome to kind of hear thoughts on a community that I feel like I'm actually a part of -- something the forum has really succeeded at: avoiding the GameFAQ effect. :) Looking forward to the next podcast, though I probably won't listen til Monday.
Image
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 22999
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Racketboy.com Podcast #1 - Indie Retro Gaming Sites

by dsheinem Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:01 pm

noiseredux wrote:Finally listened to the first podcast, and I enjoyed it a lot. Obviously there were the known sound issues, so I won't get into that. But I loved hearing from Kurt Kutala as hg101 is my favorite gaming website. Much like he talked about starting as if videogames were taught in school, I've learned so much from that site. I frequently find myself re-reading articles, or digging into another that I knew nothing about. So it was really nice to hear some background on the background.

Also, it was wonderful hearing from Nick. It's strange and cool to hear what he and Dave sound like (neither of them have the voices I expected, though I tend to imagine posters based on their avatars, so in my mind Nick is still like 15 and Dave is a big scary monster). It's just really awesome to kind of hear thoughts on a community that I feel like I'm actually a part of -- something the forum has really succeeded at: avoiding the GameFAQ effect. :) Looking forward to the next podcast, though I probably won't listen til Monday.


Woah a blast from the past! Thanks for the feedback noise. :D

I started using an H2 Zoom mic with episode 9, so the sound improves only a little from show to show until then (when I feel it improved quite a bit). Since I am at the mercy of my guests' mics for their portion of the audio I am often limited in what I can do in the sound department. I do try to EQ and balance, adjust, etc. the best I can.

Sorry I don't sound like a monster. I wish I did have a voice like Wolfman Jack or some such :D
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9364
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Racketboy.com Podcast #1 - Indie Retro Gaming Sites

by racketboy Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:17 am

I've recently re-listened to this episode and it's kinda funny looking back.

Since then a lot has changed and I've actually met Dave in person, hung out with him at PAX, had a lot more involvement with him on the site, and obviously heard Dave's conversational style more on later episodes.

But back then, I had a lot going on in my life, never spoke to or heard Dave before and it took me a while to even warm up in the interview. I think if we were to do another one, I think the chemistry and banter would be much more interesting.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 37933
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Racketboy.com Podcast #1 - Indie Retro Gaming Sites

by noiseredux Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:19 am

racketboy wrote:I've recently re-listened to this episode and it's kinda funny looking back.

Since then a lot has changed and I've actually met Dave in person, hung out with him at PAX, had a lot more involvement with him on the site, and obviously heard Dave's conversational style more on later episodes.

But back then, I had a lot going on in my life, never spoke to or heard Dave before and it took me a while to even warm up in the interview. I think if we were to do another one, I think the chemistry and banter would be much more interesting.


Nick, I wish I had been able to meet up with you and Dave at PAX East this year. I'm definitely planning to attend next year though. :)
Image
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9364
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Racketboy.com Podcast #1 - Indie Retro Gaming Sites

by racketboy Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:27 am

noiseredux wrote:
racketboy wrote:I've recently re-listened to this episode and it's kinda funny looking back.

Since then a lot has changed and I've actually met Dave in person, hung out with him at PAX, had a lot more involvement with him on the site, and obviously heard Dave's conversational style more on later episodes.

But back then, I had a lot going on in my life, never spoke to or heard Dave before and it took me a while to even warm up in the interview. I think if we were to do another one, I think the chemistry and banter would be much more interesting.


Nick, I wish I had been able to meet up with you and Dave at PAX East this year. I'm definitely planning to attend next year though. :)


Cool :) I'm hoping to venture out there again too. I absolutely loved Boston!
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 22608
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Racketboy.com Podcast #1 - Indie Retro Gaming Sites

by MrPopo Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:25 pm

So I happened to notice that this podcast and #7 aren't linked up under the podcast tab.
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Racketboy.com Podcast #1 - Indie Retro Gaming Sites

by YoshiEgg25 Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:50 pm

MrPopo wrote:So I happened to notice that this podcast and #7 aren't linked up under the podcast tab.

I mentioned that in the New Site Design thread. No one paid any attention to me though.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
User avatar
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Racketboy.com Podcast #1 - Indie Retro Gaming Sites

by YoshiEgg25 Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:25 pm

For those of you that care, the link to the first podcast is http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2009/10/ ... ode-1.html.

I managed to find this through extreme logic. :P

Image
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Return to Podcast

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests