Racketboy.com Podcast #1 - Indie Retro Gaming Sites

Podcast announcements, feedback, and discussion
jfe2
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy.com Podcast #1

Post by jfe2 »

I really enjoyed it! Do you plan on doing any reviews of retro games or any retrospective pieces?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

jfe2 wrote:I really enjoyed it! Do you plan on doing any reviews of retro games or any retrospective pieces?

Just put up a new thread with my ideas - feel free to post some of yours there too!
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

I really enjoyed it! I just finished watching it 8)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
Unleaded Logic
128-bit

Post by Unleaded Logic »

dsheinem wrote:
Luke wrote:A few tips:

Outline the show more, especially in the beginning. As the old saying goes, "Tell me what you are going to say, say it, then tell me what you told me". Or something close to that. There was no structure to the podcast. You can see what you're going to talk about on the website, just say it on the podcast.

Doh! Yeah that is an obvious flub - easy to fix next time. Of course when I recorded that intro portion, not every guest was confirmed, so that was part of the problem.

I'll avoid discussions of Puyo Pop Fever or Prince of Persia :D

You can always pick up a mic filter for like 6 bucks as well. It lessens/removes a good portion of them. Though it depends on what kind of mic your using. Obviously a headset mic won't be as easy to filter.
fingersmaloy
64-bit

Post by fingersmaloy »

I wouldn't say the podcast lacked structure. I agree with Ack that it was a good selection of people to interview for an introductory podcast. These are three significant contributors to the online retro gaming community, an overview of what their sites bring and their origins. The interviews had a natural pace to them and didn't feel drawn out or rushed.

One piece of criticism I have, and maybe I'm the only one who felt this way, but I thought I some of Dave's responses came off as unintentionally sounding indifferent. The interviewee would give a detailed answer to a question, and then Dave's response would just be, "...'k." Then onto the next question. Maybe I'm just projecting things that aren't really there, but it sounded detached or apathetic to me. Even if you're trying to move on to the next quesion, there must be a smoother way to transition.

Did anyone else get the same vibe, or should I just sheddup?
My game-related blog.
TheFallOfMan

Post by TheFallOfMan »

The podcast was interesting as it was. I thought it didnt lack structure, it was clean and simple. I'd like to hear some reviews/information about obscure games on various systems, kinda like the Hidden Gems section adapted in the podcast.
TheyCallMeTheSwede
128-bit

Post by TheyCallMeTheSwede »

Popping P problems can be solved just by putting a sock over the mic, it works with me, plus its cheap.
Top 101 Favorite Games of All Time

CURRENTLY OWNED: NES, SNES, GC, GB, GBA:SP, GEN, SAT, DC, PS2, PS3, PSP, X360, NGPC, Neo-Geo AES, PCE Duo, PS4, PSX, oXbox

$ALE: NOTTING!!! ABSORUTRY NOTTING!!!!!!

WANTED: CDX, 3DO, Amiga 32CD, Master System, Wii

Xbox Live: AHTNF
PSN: CallMeTheSwede

Be a pal, Check out my Photography
http://callmetheswede.deviantart.com
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Thanks for the comments so far everyone - I will certainly take them under advisement for the November podcast! I'm hoping to make this something that people genuinely look forward to and enjoy. :D

Of course this thread is also meant as a place to discuss the actual content of the podcast. Has anyone here been reading HG101 or the Video Game Critic since they started? Any one here active on those forums? Did any of the answers by the guests surprise you?

I, for one, had no idea Nick had once created a Calivn and Hobbes site. I think he should post the archive.org link (via the wayback machine) it if he can dares...
Harmik

Post by Harmik »

I really enjoyed it and found the intererviews very interesting, so no complaints from me please keep it up. :D