Racketboy.com Podcast #1 - Indie Retro Gaming Sites

Podcast announcements, feedback, and discussion
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Racketboy.com Podcast #1

Post by dsheinem »

Luke wrote:A few tips:

Outline the show more, especially in the beginning. As the old saying goes, "Tell me what you are going to say, say it, then tell me what you told me". Or something close to that. There was no structure to the podcast. You can see what you're going to talk about on the website, just say it on the podcast.

Doh! Yeah that is an obvious flub - easy to fix next time. Of course when I recorded that intro portion, not every guest was confirmed, so that was part of the problem.

I'll avoid discussions of Puyo Pop Fever or Prince of Persia :D
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy.com Podcast #1

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Hmm, I had forgotten about this, I'll have to give it a listen and get back to you about it in a bit!
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

dsheinem wrote:I'll avoid discussions of Puyo Pop Fever or Prince of Persia :D

That gave me a good laugh.

Popping P's can be a real audio problem. Just remind your guests, as nicely as possible, to just be aware of it.

I've only listened to half of the podcast, when I finish it, I'll send you more suggestions.

And, hey, no pilot episode is perfect.
DCAllAmerican
24-bit

Post by DCAllAmerican »

Also, I don't think interviews are needed for each and every show. 3 interviews in one show is a bit much. You could have saved 2 of those for later dates.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

DCAllAmerican wrote:Also, I don't think interviews are needed for each and every show. 3 interviews in one show is a bit much. You could have saved 2 of those for later dates.

Well, it is an interview based show. 3 is probably too many - we'll probably do 1 or 2 in most of them...

Looks like the forum is up - I'm moving all this there.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

I think there was a bad merge, DSHE! :wink:
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:I think there was a bad merge, DSHE! :wink:

Fixed, I believe.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

dsheinem wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:I think there was a bad merge, DSHE! :wink:

Fixed, I believe.

Yuppers, all's well on this front!
My Consoles:

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Hooray!
Ack

Post by Ack »

I listened to it last night and was actually planning on PMing you about it, but figured instead to post impressions here when I saw the thread.

First off...other folks have addressed my major complaints. I will say that while your mic's not the best, I didn't have any problems with your volume. HG101's became more than a little unbearable for certain lines, though I found it interesting enough to listen anyway.

I also like the breakdown. If you can get then down to around a general time limit, it might also help folks who don't necessarily want to listen to certain sections. And could you impose a time limit on future episodes, say, an hour? I listened to it straight through, but after the first fifty minutes, I wanted to move on to something else.

For an introductory podcast, I don't have any criticisms over your selection of interviewees. I think that anyone interested in learning more about the retro community should know of those three sites, since they have so much material on the subject, so anyone just getting into it can listen to your intro podcast and know where to go. And I don't think you've necessarily wasted your guests, I think there's ample opportunity for the three of them to come back in the future(especially Racket...it is his site after all). Plus, it sounds like you've got several episodes planned out already, so you should be good.

I look forward to future episodes, chief.