Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Re: Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

by Jrecee Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:19 am

"There's great pluses to both formats, which we've discussed at length."

I honestly can't figure out any pluses to game compilations if you already collect and own all the old stuff unless you simply don't have room to keep your old stuff hooked up.

Then why the hell do I own Sonic Mega collection? :?
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

by Flak Beard Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:59 pm

Added the Retronauts "Hands On" article. It's a must read for anyone wondering how the emulation is going to be. :D
jonathang
24-bit

by jonathang Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:45 am

Flak Beard wrote:Added the Retronauts "Hands On" article. It's a must read for anyone wondering how the emulation is going to be. :D

that look pretty cool i hope they put a option mode that you could turn off the new graphics fitters and could play the original graphics i like playing the original game i cant wait for this to come out and play this :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Game systems:Original Xbox,PS2 Slim,PS3 60GB.
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

by RadarScope1 Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:19 am

Jrecee wrote:"There's great pluses to both formats, which we've discussed at length."

I honestly can't figure out any pluses to game compilations if you already collect and own all the old stuff unless you simply don't have room to keep your old stuff hooked up.

Then why the hell do I own Sonic Mega collection? :?

OK buddy, I'll bite.

1) Price - Nearly 50 games for 30 bucks. Even the most dedicated flea market junkie wouldn't be able to pull that off when you consider the likes of the entire PS series, Shining Force 1&2, Alien Soldier -- not to mention the arcade games.

2) Space - Less shit = looks better

3) Availability - While most of these games have been on lots of comps and are easy to find as carts, where else are you going to so easily find Congo Bongo, Golden Axe Warrior, PS series, Fantasy Zone, etc? I enjoy the hunt, but time is valuable, too. And do you really own all 49 of these games? I suppose your mileage would vary depending on how many carts you own. Personally I only have about 10 of these.

4) Convenience - Relive the 16-bit glory days without getting off the couch to change carts, blow in slots, jigger the reset button, etc. I'd argue it's more convenient than dicking around with emulators, too.

5) Play it on new TVs - The big one for me personally. I just invested in a plasma TV, but I've also invested a lot of money in retro games over the years. I'm kinda pissed I can't play the old games on my new TV. And no, I'm not putting two damn TVs in my living room although I do now have a retro shrine with a CRT in a back room.

5 1/2) Port quality - If it's poor, then that's a big reason to get the real thing. If it's faithful, then you're not missing much (besides the controller). According to the Retronauts hands-on, the emu quality is very accurate with perfect 2x upscaling the original pixels. See point No. 5. (Thanks for posting that, Flak. I hadn't seen it. Awesome OP.)
jonathang
24-bit

by jonathang Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:47 pm

that be cool if we had countdown timer how many days the game going come out
Last edited by jonathang on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathang
24-bit

by jonathang Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:47 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jrecee
Next-Gen

by Jrecee Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:44 pm

Yeah that's why I said "if you already collect and own all the old stuff"

If there's games on there that you don't have and don't plan on buying, or that you simply can't get (alien soldier) then compilations are great. I have megaman x collection and megaman anniversary collection since later megaman x games are so damned expensive. I also have sonic gems collection since it's got Sonic the Fighters and the only console version of sonic cd (although I now have a cdx). Also Sonic R looks damn good on the wii with prog scan on my hdtv. I just meant people seem to already have all the old games and then they go and buy the compilations as well.

Also, "Space - Less shit = looks better". Isn't that the exact opposite of what collectors like? :P

I want a gameroom that looks like this :D

RadarScope1
Next-Gen

by RadarScope1 Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:22 pm

I see then. Seems like the cost/value proposition wouldn't be that great for you. I get where you're coming from, don't get me wrong. I have probably 120+ carts lying around.

As for the looks better thing, I used to feel what you're saying but lately I've just had this desire to de-clutter. Might have something to do with being married, outgrowing our apartment space, getting a new TV, etc. I'm even thinking of boxing up most of my CDs since I just rip them to my hard drive and play them via iTunes anyway. I really don't buy DVDs because I have Netflix and I almost never watch a movie more than once, even ones I really like. I'm putting more stuff in drawers and cabinets to avoid the cluttered look. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop collecting I just don't feel the need to display it all -------- UNLESS I have a dedicated game room like the one you posted. That's a ways off though.
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

by Flak Beard Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:22 pm

Today's Retronauts podcast is all about the collection. I've added it to the first post. :D
Jrecee
Next-Gen

by Jrecee Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:37 pm

I can't stand clutter. But I can have all my stuff out without it being cluttered. For example, those saturn boxes laying horizontally over the ones vertically. . . UNACCEPTABLE! That would drive me nuts.

And it goes without saying that I despise those cardboard boxes that sega adopted for late genesis/32x games. I went as far as reprinting some of the box art and putting it in actual cases.
Return to Old-School Gaming News