Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
IcKy99
Next-Gen

Re: Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

Post by IcKy99 »

RadarScope1 wrote:
MrPopo wrote:
RadarScope1 wrote:The one thing people seem hung up on is no lock-on for Sonic 3 & Knuckles. You can only play them as separate games. I'll probably dig into my copy today or tomorrow!!!

Wow, that's massively dropping the ball. I can understand leaving out Knuckles in Sonic 2, but S3&K is the way that game was meant to be played.

Pretty much why the Internets are so mad.

oh well i guess playing S3&K is what owning a real genesis is for
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

Post by Flak Beard »

I dug into the collection today and have to admit I really like it a lot. The presentation is great. I really like how each game has a "Super Gameboy" type border around each game. Also, the menus are nice.

Emulation is pretty spot on. I only noticed some minor sound issues during a game of Columns (music).

Still working on those achievements. :D
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Here's a good review from Sega-16, although they are more down on the collection than I am. I agree with most of their critiques, though (but I'd give it 4/5 instead of 3/5).

http://www.sega-16.com/feature_page.php ... Collection
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

Post by Flak Beard »

I feel like a damn fool! I can't find the Water Shrine in Beyond Oasis! :P

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. :P
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

Pretty good review from Sega-16. Agree with their nitpicks of what's not included, but I'm scratching my head at their nitpick of what WAS included. Dump all the Sonic games? On a Genesis compilation? I see where they're coming from - their viewpoint is that of the people who own a Genesis with a big collection, plus the Dreamcast and PS2 comps. But for someone like me who didn't grow up on Sega and doesn't own any other comps, this disc is awesome.

Haven't had a chance to dig into everything but so far so good. Really dig Shinobi 3, the graphics really stand up. Strangly enjoying Flicky of all things. It's kind of rubbish but when you consider it's from a totally different era and is more akin to Mappy or Mario Bros. than a 16-bit title I'll cut it some slack. I was 3,000 points from the achievement/unlock the second or third time I played it, then couldn't come close the next few tries. Liking Kid Chameleon -- I can see how this game would be totally rad in the 80s. You're a knight! And a samuari! And a dinosaur! OMG! Alex Kidd blows pretty hard from what I played - I feel sorry for the folks who had to try and convince themselves they were playing a Mario clone back in the day.

Again, I'm playing a lot of these for the first time, so this is a fun disc for me. I'd say it's a must-have if you're into retro but don't have the previous comps.
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

One life and no difficulty select on Comix Zone?

Really, Sega? Really?!
JJJ
24-bit

Post by JJJ »

So is the audio really that bad compared to PC emulators?

Are there any other features ingame? I don't suppose savestates... I like playing retro games, but I don't know whether I could play some of these oldies again (Phantasy Star series especially) without savestates. The whole 'going into a dungeon, grinding for a few hours, dying and losing everything' isn't as much fun now as when I was 8.
IcKy99
Next-Gen

Post by IcKy99 »

i loved how they include state saves, BUT they could have included a crap load of more games, i mean blu-rays hold 25-50 gb of data, they could have packed this cd full of first party sega games, sega arcade ports like virtua racing/fighter 1 and 2, daytona usa, and maybe some third party exclusives like rocket knight dont ya think
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

w00t!
IMAG0152.jpg
IMAG0152.jpg (39.07 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

RadarScope1 wrote:You're a knight! And a samuari! And a dinosaur! OMG! Alex Kidd blows pretty hard from what I played - I feel sorry for the folks who had to try and convince themselves they were playing a Mario clone back in the day.

The first Alex Kidd on the Master System was very good. The Genesis version, which I think is the one included in the Ultimate Collection (it was in the PS2 Genesis collection), really does blow.

BTW, stay away from the Bloody Swamp level on Kid Chameleon. That thing is freaking impossible.