Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
REPO Man
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3068
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Outer Banks, NC

Re: Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

by REPO Man Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:16 am

Citizin wrote:
REPO Man wrote:
Mozgus wrote:I rage every time emulation packs like this get upscaled with a 4xHQ filter and are advertised as "Now in HD!!". That's not HD, you dumbfucks.


WHO THE FU_CK CARES?? It's classic Genny games on the 360 (and PS3, but for the moment that doesn't concern me) made to look gr8 on an HDTV! Just STFU and enjoy the ride, but remember to keep your arms and legs inside the car at all times.


I don't see what's so great about upscaled Genesis games that could be emulated for free are being released in an expensive compilation.

If you are willing to pay for these games, why not go for the original carts instead?


A) The free versions are illegal and require emulators that can't be played on a home console unless you mess around with the insides, so these "expensive compilations" are just easier.

B) To buy all the original carts of these games would costs far more than the compilation, since many of them are hard to come by. And due to the nature of retro games, many won't work right away. So, really, it's more feasible to pay at least $20-30 for a compilation than shell out at least twice as much for the original cartridges, since the original cartridges also take up far more room. But if it's about using the original controls, that can be arranged with either the right know-how or even commercially available adapters.
Citizin
24-bit
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

by Citizin Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:34 am

REPO Man wrote:A) The free versions are illegal and require emulators that can't be played on a home console unless you mess around with the insides, so these "expensive compilations" are just easier.

B) To buy all the original carts of these games would costs far more than the compilation, since many of them are hard to come by. And due to the nature of retro games, many won't work right away. So, really, it's more feasible to pay at least $20-30 for a compilation than shell out at least twice as much for the original cartridges, since the original cartridges also take up far more room. But if it's about using the original controls, that can be arranged with either the right know-how or even commercially available adapters.


Why the need to play them on a home console that they weren't designed for?

Retro games can be hard to find, but it's a lot better than these compilations.
User avatar
AwesomeMonstar
128-bit
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:28 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

by AwesomeMonstar Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:54 am

everybody bitching about hd splotchyness

http://kotaku.com/5079490/mega-drive-co ... e-optional

... you're all losers.
Don't that just look oh so tasty?
NES-GB-GENESIS-SNES-GBC-32X-SATURN-3DO-N64-DREAMCAST-GBA-PS2-XBOX-GAMECUBE-DS-PSP-WII-360
User avatar
Flak Beard
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1766
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Perpetual Time Loop

Re: Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

by Flak Beard Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:10 pm

Citizin wrote:
REPO Man wrote:A) The free versions are illegal and require emulators that can't be played on a home console unless you mess around with the insides, so these "expensive compilations" are just easier.

B) To buy all the original carts of these games would costs far more than the compilation, since many of them are hard to come by. And due to the nature of retro games, many won't work right away. So, really, it's more feasible to pay at least $20-30 for a compilation than shell out at least twice as much for the original cartridges, since the original cartridges also take up far more room. But if it's about using the original controls, that can be arranged with either the right know-how or even commercially available adapters.


Why the need to play them on a home console that they weren't designed for?

Retro games can be hard to find, but it's a lot better than these compilations.


Not necessarily. As someone who collects original carts, the compilations are still a blessing. I don't always have my Genesis hooked up, so I'm always busting out my PS2 Genesis Collection if I feel like playing Sonic 2 for a bit. Plus you can save anytime and anywhere in the games you want.

You mention why someone would want to play the on a console they weren't designed for yet you suggested emulation as a better option? That makes no sense. Also, these collection are certainly not expensive. The PS2 Genesis Collection was only $20, and that's crazy considering you get all three Genesis Phantasy Star games. Plus there are video interviews and other unlockables.
Image
REPO Man
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3068
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Outer Banks, NC

Re: Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

by REPO Man Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:02 pm

Flak Beard wrote:
Citizin wrote:
REPO Man wrote:A) The free versions are illegal and require emulators that can't be played on a home console unless you mess around with the insides, so these "expensive compilations" are just easier.

B) To buy all the original carts of these games would costs far more than the compilation, since many of them are hard to come by. And due to the nature of retro games, many won't work right away. So, really, it's more feasible to pay at least $20-30 for a compilation than shell out at least twice as much for the original cartridges, since the original cartridges also take up far more room. But if it's about using the original controls, that can be arranged with either the right know-how or even commercially available adapters.


Why the need to play them on a home console that they weren't designed for?

Retro games can be hard to find, but it's a lot better than these compilations.


Not necessarily. As someone who collects original carts, the compilations are still a blessing. I don't always have my Genesis hooked up, so I'm always busting out my PS2 Genesis Collection if I feel like playing Sonic 2 for a bit. Plus you can save anytime and anywhere in the games you want.

You mention why someone would want to play the on a console they weren't designed for yet you suggested emulation as a better option? That makes no sense. Also, these collection are certainly not expensive. The PS2 Genesis Collection was only $20, and that's crazy considering you get all three Genesis Phantasy Star games. Plus there are video interviews and other unlockables.


Thank you.

And BTW, I have the PSP version. Got it for only $15 at K-Mart. Sadly, no Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star 1, or even Revenge of Shinobi.

Hopefully, they'll do a second one with the Streets of Rage Trilogy, Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Knuckles in Sonic 2, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic CD (I can dream), and all the Master Drive games that should have been included but weren't.
Citizin
24-bit
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

by Citizin Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:08 pm

Flak Beard wrote:
Citizin wrote:
REPO Man wrote:A) The free versions are illegal and require emulators that can't be played on a home console unless you mess around with the insides, so these "expensive compilations" are just easier.

B) To buy all the original carts of these games would costs far more than the compilation, since many of them are hard to come by. And due to the nature of retro games, many won't work right away. So, really, it's more feasible to pay at least $20-30 for a compilation than shell out at least twice as much for the original cartridges, since the original cartridges also take up far more room. But if it's about using the original controls, that can be arranged with either the right know-how or even commercially available adapters.


Why the need to play them on a home console that they weren't designed for?

Retro games can be hard to find, but it's a lot better than these compilations.


Not necessarily. As someone who collects original carts, the compilations are still a blessing. I don't always have my Genesis hooked up, so I'm always busting out my PS2 Genesis Collection if I feel like playing Sonic 2 for a bit. Plus you can save anytime and anywhere in the games you want.

You mention why someone would want to play the on a console they weren't designed for yet you suggested emulation as a better option? That makes no sense. Also, these collection are certainly not expensive. The PS2 Genesis Collection was only $20, and that's crazy considering you get all three Genesis Phantasy Star games. Plus there are video interviews and other unlockables.


Paying for Genesis games to play on the Xbox is just stupid imo. When you could do the same thing for free by emulation.

It's not worth the money to me unless I was paying for the actual cart. I see these compilations as expensive once you already know that you could emulate the games and not have some half-ass scaling going on.

The only downside to emulation is that it will take a bit more patience and configuration for some systems compared to just sticking the disc into your console.
User avatar
elvis
128-bit
 
Posts: 909
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:20 am
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

by elvis Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:05 pm

REPO Man wrote:B) To buy all the original carts of these games would costs far more than the compilation, since many of them are hard to come by.

Like what?

Sonic, Columns, Shinobi, Streets of Rage - these are all $3-5 on eBay.
User avatar
Flak Beard
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1766
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Perpetual Time Loop

Re: Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

by Flak Beard Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:14 pm

elvis wrote:
REPO Man wrote:B) To buy all the original carts of these games would costs far more than the compilation, since many of them are hard to come by.

Like what?

Sonic, Columns, Shinobi, Streets of Rage - these are all $3-5 on eBay.


The PS2 Genesis Collection was $20 and it had 28 Genesis titles. That's roughly 71 cents a game. Actual carts or not, that can't be beat.

The games also look better on my PS2. The Genesis didn't have s-video (without modding) and outputted natively in 320x240.
Image
User avatar
Mozgus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 10:31 pm

Re: Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

by Mozgus Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:41 pm

Flak Beard wrote:
elvis wrote:
REPO Man wrote:B) To buy all the original carts of these games would costs far more than the compilation, since many of them are hard to come by.

Like what?

Sonic, Columns, Shinobi, Streets of Rage - these are all $3-5 on eBay.


The PS2 Genesis Collection was $20 and it had 28 Genesis titles. That's roughly 71 cents a game. Actual carts or not, that can't be beat.

The games also look better on my PS2. The Genesis didn't have s-video (without modding) and outputted natively in 320x240.

The emulation quality didn't meet my standards. I tried half the games on there before never touching it again. For some reason Sega themselves will never figure out how to emulate Genesis's sound chip properly. The games always sound wrong.

To clearify, their efforts have been better in recent years than back on Saturn and Dreamcast with shit like Sonic Jam and Sega Smash Park. Those were REAL turds. If you can deal with off-pitch sound effects from the newer offerings, all the power to you. I just can't.
Probably not the Mozgus you remember. More understanding, more drunk, less irate, less informative.
User avatar
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9207
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:56 pm
Location: Denver CO, USA

Re: Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

by RyaNtheSlayA Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:05 pm

Mozgus wrote:
Flak Beard wrote:
elvis wrote:Like what?

Sonic, Columns, Shinobi, Streets of Rage - these are all $3-5 on eBay.


The PS2 Genesis Collection was $20 and it had 28 Genesis titles. That's roughly 71 cents a game. Actual carts or not, that can't be beat.

The games also look better on my PS2. The Genesis didn't have s-video (without modding) and outputted natively in 320x240.

The emulation quality didn't meet my standards. I tried half the games on there before never touching it again. For some reason Sega themselves will never figure out how to emulate Genesis's sound chip properly. The games always sound wrong.

To clearify, their efforts have been better in recent years than back on Saturn and Dreamcast with shit like Sonic Jam and Sega Smash Park. Those were REAL turds. If you can deal with off-pitch sound effects from the newer offerings, all the power to you. I just can't.


I dont notice any sound problems in Sonic Jam and as one person pointed out a long time ago to one of my posts. The games in Sonic Jam are ported and not emulated.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Return to Old-School Gaming News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests