Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

Post by REPO Man »

Citizin wrote:
REPO Man wrote:
Mozgus wrote:I rage every time emulation packs like this get upscaled with a 4xHQ filter and are advertised as "Now in HD!!". That's not HD, you dumbfucks.

WHO THE FU_CK CARES?? It's classic Genny games on the 360 (and PS3, but for the moment that doesn't concern me) made to look gr8 on an HDTV! Just STFU and enjoy the ride, but remember to keep your arms and legs inside the car at all times.

I don't see what's so great about upscaled Genesis games that could be emulated for free are being released in an expensive compilation.

If you are willing to pay for these games, why not go for the original carts instead?

A) The free versions are illegal and require emulators that can't be played on a home console unless you mess around with the insides, so these "expensive compilations" are just easier.

B) To buy all the original carts of these games would costs far more than the compilation, since many of them are hard to come by. And due to the nature of retro games, many won't work right away. So, really, it's more feasible to pay at least $20-30 for a compilation than shell out at least twice as much for the original cartridges, since the original cartridges also take up far more room. But if it's about using the original controls, that can be arranged with either the right know-how or even commercially available adapters.
Citizin
24-bit

Post by Citizin »

REPO Man wrote:A) The free versions are illegal and require emulators that can't be played on a home console unless you mess around with the insides, so these "expensive compilations" are just easier.

B) To buy all the original carts of these games would costs far more than the compilation, since many of them are hard to come by. And due to the nature of retro games, many won't work right away. So, really, it's more feasible to pay at least $20-30 for a compilation than shell out at least twice as much for the original cartridges, since the original cartridges also take up far more room. But if it's about using the original controls, that can be arranged with either the right know-how or even commercially available adapters.

Why the need to play them on a home console that they weren't designed for?

Retro games can be hard to find, but it's a lot better than these compilations.
AwesomeMonstar
128-bit

Post by AwesomeMonstar »

everybody bitching about hd splotchyness

http://kotaku.com/5079490/mega-drive-co ... e-optional

... you're all losers.
Don't that just look oh so tasty?
NES-GB-GENESIS-SNES-GBC-32X-SATURN-3DO-N64-DREAMCAST-GBA-PS2-XBOX-GAMECUBE-DS-PSP-WII-360
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

Post by Flak Beard »

Citizin wrote:
REPO Man wrote:A) The free versions are illegal and require emulators that can't be played on a home console unless you mess around with the insides, so these "expensive compilations" are just easier.

Not necessarily. As someone who collects original carts, the compilations are still a blessing. I don't always have my Genesis hooked up, so I'm always busting out my PS2 Genesis Collection if I feel like playing Sonic 2 for a bit. Plus you can save anytime and anywhere in the games you want.

You mention why someone would want to play the on a console they weren't designed for yet you suggested emulation as a better option? That makes no sense. Also, these collection are certainly not expensive. The PS2 Genesis Collection was only $20, and that's crazy considering you get all three Genesis Phantasy Star games. Plus there are video interviews and other unlockables.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Flak Beard wrote:
Citizin wrote:

Not necessarily. As someone who collects original carts, the compilations are still a blessing. I don't always have my Genesis hooked up, so I'm always busting out my PS2 Genesis Collection if I feel like playing Sonic 2 for a bit. Plus you can save anytime and anywhere in the games you want.

You mention why someone would want to play the on a console they weren't designed for yet you suggested emulation as a better option? That makes no sense. Also, these collection are certainly not expensive. The PS2 Genesis Collection was only $20, and that's crazy considering you get all three Genesis Phantasy Star games. Plus there are video interviews and other unlockables.

Thank you.

And BTW, I have the PSP version. Got it for only $15 at K-Mart. Sadly, no Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star 1, or even Revenge of Shinobi.

Hopefully, they'll do a second one with the Streets of Rage Trilogy, Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Knuckles in Sonic 2, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic CD (I can dream), and all the Master Drive games that should have been included but weren't.
Citizin
24-bit

Post by Citizin »

Flak Beard wrote:
Citizin wrote:

Paying for Genesis games to play on the Xbox is just stupid imo. When you could do the same thing for free by emulation.

It's not worth the money to me unless I was paying for the actual cart. I see these compilations as expensive once you already know that you could emulate the games and not have some half-ass scaling going on.

The only downside to emulation is that it will take a bit more patience and configuration for some systems compared to just sticking the disc into your console.
elvis
128-bit

Post by elvis »

REPO Man wrote:B) To buy all the original carts of these games would costs far more than the compilation, since many of them are hard to come by.

Like what?

Sonic, Columns, Shinobi, Streets of Rage - these are all $3-5 on eBay.
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

Post by Flak Beard »

elvis wrote:
REPO Man wrote:B) To buy all the original carts of these games would costs far more than the compilation, since many of them are hard to come by.

Like what?

The PS2 Genesis Collection was $20 and it had 28 Genesis titles. That's roughly 71 cents a game. Actual carts or not, that can't be beat.

The games also look better on my PS2. The Genesis didn't have s-video (without modding) and outputted natively in 320x240.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Flak Beard wrote:
elvis wrote:

Like what?

The PS2 Genesis Collection was $20 and it had 28 Genesis titles. That's roughly 71 cents a game. Actual carts or not, that can't be beat.

The games also look better on my PS2. The Genesis didn't have s-video (without modding) and outputted natively in 320x240.

The emulation quality didn't meet my standards. I tried half the games on there before never touching it again. For some reason Sega themselves will never figure out how to emulate Genesis's sound chip properly. The games always sound wrong.

To clearify, their efforts have been better in recent years than back on Saturn and Dreamcast with shit like Sonic Jam and Sega Smash Park. Those were REAL turds. If you can deal with off-pitch sound effects from the newer offerings, all the power to you. I just can't.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Mozgus wrote:
Flak Beard wrote:
elvis wrote:Like what?

The emulation quality didn't meet my standards. I tried half the games on there before never touching it again. For some reason Sega themselves will never figure out how to emulate Genesis's sound chip properly. The games always sound wrong.

To clearify, their efforts have been better in recent years than back on Saturn and Dreamcast with shit like Sonic Jam and Sega Smash Park. Those were REAL turds. If you can deal with off-pitch sound effects from the newer offerings, all the power to you. I just can't.

I dont notice any sound problems in Sonic Jam and as one person pointed out a long time ago to one of my posts. The games in Sonic Jam are ported and not emulated.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.