Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Re: Sega Announces Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

Post by RadarScope1 »

Just picked it up at BB, but haven't broken the seal yet. I'll be playing Flower tonight instead. :D

I decided to go for the PS3 version because I already have a controller with a decent d-pad for that system. I really thought about picking up the SF4 fightpad for the 360 today with this game, but I just couldn't swing all of it. My PS3 d-pad is already paid for.
jonathang
24-bit

Post by jonathang »

RadarScope1 wrote:Just picked it up at BB, but haven't broken the seal yet. I'll be playing Flower tonight instead. :D

I decided to go for the PS3 version because I already have a controller with a decent d-pad for that system. I really thought about picking up the SF4 fightpad for the 360 today with this game, but I just couldn't swing all of it. My PS3 d-pad is already paid for.

the ps3 version of sonic ultimate sega genesis collection is the best one.i also goings to get the ps3 version also tomorrow
Game systems:Original Xbox,PS2 Slim,PS3 60GB.
jonathang
24-bit

Post by jonathang »

does it have the graphic filter just like the sonic 2 on xbox 360
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I picked this up for the PS3 yesterday at Best Buy. Using a 10% off BB coupon and a $10 Reward Zone certificate, the game came to about $18 w/tax. That was an insane deal for the amount of games featured here.

My impressions so far:

- There is absolutely no reason to use the filter on any game, nor is there any reason to want to stretch to 16:9 as this causes the game to zoom the image (so you can't see everything). On my 55" HDTV, the default graphics look as crisp and clear as they would on a top of the line large CRT TV hooked up to an original Genesis, if not better. Sound quality is fantastic as well, and the control feels spot on.

- Hunting for trophies from game to game is a lot of fun, although I am not sure that I agree with their decisions for what counts as bronze, silver, or gold. For example, getting 10,000,000 in Sonic Spinball level 1 (gold trophy) strikes me as much easier than getting to level 3 without dying in Alien Storm or earning 80,000 points in Flicky (both bronze trophies). That said, it is a very smart decision that the trophy challenges=challenges to unlock the bonus games and videos. This way you get more than just PSN (or XBL) cred for your work.

- The interface is simple and games load fast (as someone who collects compilations, this is appreciated). Two nit-picks here, though. One: on the game-select screen they show the game loading on a smaller TV so that you can preview it. Unfortunately, they make you watch all the bootup screens (e.g. company logos) on this preview before showing the game in action. I think it would have been better to be able to instantly preview some brief action scenes from each game on this menu. Two: the unlocked games are not accessible directly through the main menu, and thus can't be organized in the same ways (e.g. by year). Again, these are minor annoyances.

-No online multiplayer. Inexcusable. Maybe this can be fixed with a patch?

- It can't be emphasized enough what a great compilation this is, and I hope it is a harbinger of more to come (from Sega and other companies). As someone who grew up with the Genesis as his main system (and already owns probably half of these games on original carts) I still think that this is well worth the purchase. Highly recommended.
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

Awesome. Thanks for the impressions. I don't think they intend to patch in any online multiplayer, unfortunately. They just weren't going for that. I've also heard the borders around the 4:3 ratio are annoying but someone figured out that if you're on a HD set, just set your tv to 4:3 and it will cover them up.

The one thing people seem hung up on is no lock-on for Sonic 3 & Knuckles. You can only play them as separate games. I'll probably dig into my copy today or tomorrow!!!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

RadarScope1 wrote:The one thing people seem hung up on is no lock-on for Sonic 3 & Knuckles. You can only play them as separate games. I'll probably dig into my copy today or tomorrow!!!

Wow, that's massively dropping the ball. I can understand leaving out Knuckles in Sonic 2, but S3&K is the way that game was meant to be played.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dlmvii
Next-Gen

Post by dlmvii »

My biggest gripe was that you cannot globally remap buttons. I have the usb saturn pad, and though you can map the controls for each game, you have to do it for every game. Also, there's no select button on the saturn controller, so to go to the menu screen, you have to unplug the controller. A minor complaint, but it doesn't seem like it would have been hard to implement.
jonathang
24-bit

Post by jonathang »

I finally got sonic ultimate sega genesis collection i got the ps3 version.the games is really good in high definition.
IcKy99
Next-Gen

Post by IcKy99 »

im gonna pick this up this weekend it sounds awesome
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

MrPopo wrote:
RadarScope1 wrote:The one thing people seem hung up on is no lock-on for Sonic 3 & Knuckles. You can only play them as separate games. I'll probably dig into my copy today or tomorrow!!!

Wow, that's massively dropping the ball. I can understand leaving out Knuckles in Sonic 2, but S3&K is the way that game was meant to be played.

Pretty much why the Internets are so mad.