Earthion - New Genesis Shmup by Yuzo Koshiro

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Note
Next-Gen

Earthion - New Genesis Shmup by Yuzo Koshiro

Post by Note »

Yuzo Koshiro and his development company Ancient have been working on a new shoot 'em up for the Genesis titled, Earthion. There's been some short gameplay footage videos released, but more recently Yuzo shared on his Twitter account a vid that's slightly longer. I have to say after being skeptical for a bit, I'm pretty impressed! There are some interesting graphical effects seen in the vid, and the music is sounding good.

At the recent Tokyo Game Show event, it was announced that LRG and Super Deluxe Games will be releasing Earthion as a physical copy on the Genesis in 2024. Here's to another year of fun games being released on the Genesis! I've included some screenshots, a promo poster from the Tokyo Game Show, and a link to the video Yuzo recently released.

And here's the link to the gameplay vid on Twitter: https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/status/ ... 6014336067
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Earthion - New Genesis Shmup by Yuzo Koshiro

Post by Jagosaurus »

This looks pretty solid. Like the destructible environment & the Sega Genesis bassy tunes.

I wish more devs make games for older systems would sell ROMs. I'd definitely support them and legally/ethically play the games, but am highly likely not buying any carts, CDs, etc.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

I agree with you about indie developers selling ROMs for games on older consoles. I do see them from some companies such as Bitmap Bureau and Neofid, but more need to do it. If a developer wants their game to get out to the widest audience possible, it's something they have to move forward with.

Hopefully either the ROM or a port on modern consoles will be available.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Yeah, I'm buying this one. Not like I don't already have enough... :oops:

Here's more info and a Youtube link posted on shmups forum:

https://youtu.be/nXD8T990g18?t=12659 is the TGS trailer

Couple things he mentions during the event:
    Wants people to play it on a CRT, even tho this trailer is straight RGB capture
    No one hit death, you have a health gauge. Its this way so not just hardcore fans can enjoy it
    US release through Limited Run Games, JP release through Super Deluxe
    Hopes to have it out next Summer, but definitely 2024
    He and the host cracked some jokes about this being a Mega Drive game, it should have been hosted at the Sega booth not the Happinet booth :lol:
    Has nothing to announce about playing it on modern platforms during TGS but basically said it will release at some point
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Appreciate the additional info, o.pwuaioc. I'm glad to hear that the game's going to have a health bar. I love shmups, but admittedly I'm still not too good in the genre.

I plan on picking this one up too. What I've seen so far has looked good! Hope this does come out next year.