PS3, PSP, PS Vita: The (digital) End is Nigh!

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: PS3, PSP, PS Vita: The (digital) End is Nigh!

Post by o.pwuaioc »

stickem wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:If you’re into shmups, ZANAC X ZANAC is a must.

Terrible at them but yes. I'll take a look, thanks!

An update: purchased it and like it alot. Thanks for the recommendation, good looking, approachable shmup. I was never into this genre (or a few other ps1 games I thought were just kids games I've purchased) .I'm just now experiencing most of these.

There are a bunch of threads on shooters here. Feel free to browse them and start them back up. I guess a bunch of the shmup regulars aren't active anymore, but I do love the old school ones, at least.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Y'all should probably download Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative on y'all's Vitas while y'all have the chance.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I know Silent Hill (PS1) and Siren (PS2) are on the digital store. Both great horror titles.
Siren is awesome once you understand how to play it.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I forgot to post this before, but Modern Vintage Gamer recently made a video on keeping/backing up your digital content on a Vita (I assume a PSTV aswell - same software and hardware basically). Didn't watch it, but it's relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHWZgLWAwAU
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I spent the better part of the day researching things to buy and I've purchased the following PS3 content:

rain (PSN Exclusive in NA)
Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty (PSN Exclusive in NA)
Legasista (PSN Exclusive in NA)
House of the Dead Bundle Pack (HotD 4 is a PSN Exclusive on consoles)
Trash Panic (PSN Exclusive)

FFXIII-2 DLC
Jojo's All Star Battle DLC
Skullgirls Encore DLC (was cheaper than buying 2nd Encore to get what I didn't have)
Valkyria Chronicles DLC

I was thinking about some PS1 games but the above is already putting me well over $100. I'll probably just emulate those or eventually get the physical version. I also went through all my physical games and checked for free DLC. There were several that had some. Especially the "Tales of" and Trails games. I wish I had gotten the Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 characters before they were removed from the store. That happened a while ago and I somehow missed it.

Tomorrow I'm going to put in all my discs and make sure everything is patched.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Exciting news: Sony listened to the negative feedback and have decided to keep the PS3 and Vita stores active!

I'm still aiming to get more games because nobody knows how much longer those stores will be supported for, but it's no longer a mad race against the clock to see how many hundreds of dollars I can throw at the PS Store before the shutdown. I'm also aiming to have a list of most essential games to share soon just in case anyone wants my two cents on that.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

That's good news and I'd be interested in that essential games list. could you list the genre as well if you do this?
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I hope physical prices settle down as a result. There still a few I want to get. I'm looking at you Asura's Wrath.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

This is a nice reprieve, but I’m still going to snag any updates and patches I might want ASAP. (I’ve already purchased all the PSN games I might want.) I’m also inspired to look into ways I can back up my downloads and purchases to an external HDD.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

So I've been steeping myself in the digital titles available for PS3, PSP, and PS Vita. I made a list of what I'd consider essentials and oddities: the essentials are either highly revered for that platform, part of beloved series, and generally things a lot of folks would probably want for their collection with a fair amount of consensus that they're significant. The oddities are the weirdo games that definitely won't please everyone but are interesting and are at least worth taking a look at and considering. I picked 5 games per category with one highlighted but have fewer for the PS3 essentials categories because I'm just a bit less familiar with PS3 compared to PSP/Vita. (It's much more difficult to navigate the PS3 store). I decided to leave off PSOne Classics because to me the reason to get those games is because physical copies are so expensive; the market for PS1 games has exploded recently so it feels like EVERYTHING is a good deal in that category. I haven't even played all of these games yet, so a lot of this list is based on the reputation as best I can figure among folks.

PS3 essentials:
3D Dot Game Heroes (action RPG)
Drakengard 3 (action RPG)
Tokyo Jungle (survival)
Yakuza: Dead Souls (survival-horror?)

PS3 oddities:
Battle Princess of Arcadias (side scrolling action)
Legasista (roguelike)
House of the Dead 4 (light gun shooter)
Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day (anime movie & beat'em up)
Trash Panic (puzzle)

PSP essentials:
Brandish: The Dark Revenant (action RPG)
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection (RPG)
Gradius Collection (shmup) [only available for purchase with PS3, playable on Vita via file transfer with PS3]
Jeanne d'Arc (tactical RPG)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona (RPG)

PSP Oddities:
Black Rock Shooter: The Game (RPG)
Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble (beat-em-up)
Thexder Neo (run & gun mech action) [only available for purchase through PS3 with seperate PS3 version also being available, not playable on Vita]
What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord!? (tower defense)
ZHP: Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman (roguelike)

Vita essentials:
Freedom Wars (action RPG)
Gravity Rush (action/adventure)
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (rhythm)
Muramasa Rebirth (beat-em-up/RPG)
Tearaway (3D platformer)

Vita Oddities:
Monster Monpiece (pervy otaku card game RPG)
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines (RPG)
A Rose in the Twilight (puzzle platformer)
Soul Sacrifice Delta (action RPG)
TxK (arcade action)