Retro Gaming Cables' RAD2X Retro Console HDMI Cables

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
bmoc
Next-Gen

Retro Gaming Cables' RAD2X Retro Console HDMI Cables

Post by bmoc »

Retro Gaming Cables has a new line of products. Their line of RAD2X cables are plug and play HDMI cables with in-line modified RetroTINKs. At this time they have 4 offerings:

-Sega Genesis (Model 2 style connector)
-Sega Saturn
-PlayStation
-Nintendo (SNES, N64, Gamecube)

You can also get Turbograx 16 support with the Genesis cable if you have any of the following devices that have a Genesis model 2 connector:

-dbGrafx Booster TTP by db-electronics
-Super SD System 3 by Terraonion
-Engine Block AV (TurboBooster) from Stone Age Gamer

Like the RetroTINK, the RAD2X cables have a toggle switch to enable/disable a smoothing feature. Right now they cost around $50 each. Also, if the console supports RGB video, the cables will default to that video signal first. These cables seem like the best option for someone that does not want to invest in a high end upscaler/line multiplier or if you only have a small number of retro consoles that you want to upscale.

http://retrogamingcables.co.uk/RAD2X-HD ... 3fb4c077bb

RetroRGB's review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyE85OFGQpM
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Retro Gaming Cables' RAD2X Retro Console HDMI Cables

Post by samsonlonghair »

What resolution do they output? I checked the page, but I didn't see a resolution. Tell me they're not trying to send 240p via HDMI.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

480p same as a RetroTINK
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

by the time you spend money on a few all in one cables, you're just better off buying a high end upscaler to me. they do seem to make good stuff though.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

stickem wrote:by the time you spend money on a few all in one cables, you're just better off buying a high end upscaler to me. they do seem to make good stuff though.

I've been thinking about that. Quality SCART cables and switches are hella expensive these days. However there are lots of good inexpensive HDMI switches out there. Seems to me you can buy a lot of these RAD2X cables for less than the cost of a SCART solution.

OSSC - $150
gscartsw switch - $180
SCART cables - $10-$40 a piece

So for 4 consoles, that is $370 minimum assuming you get cheap SCART cables from eBay or wherever. So you can get six RAD2X cables for $300 and have plenty of money left over for an HDMI switch and HDMI patch cables.

You are trading optional scanlines for optional smoothing in the scenario above. And possibly some of the OSSCs higher resolution modes if your display supports them. So yeah, these cables seem like a really good value the more I think about it.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

My scart switchbox was 45 bucks. I see what you are saying. I think I have 5 or 6 consoles hooked up to my ossc. Seems like after I bought the upscaler, then all these dam all in one cables come out.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I've been thinking about getting a RetroTink 2X. That honestly makes the most sense for my setup right now. Later on, I may go for an OSSC, but I'd need to buy a ton of SCART cables and a switcher. Right now, most of my consoles top out at S-Video. And having a RetroTink 2X to pair with the OSSC makes a lot of sense as well, so you can get composite/S-Video.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

These cables are really impressive! Far better for the price than anything that has ever been available. I would not hesitate to recommend these to anyone that doesn't already have an expensive RGB scaler.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

their dreamcast pack-a-punch scart cables are pretty sweet as well. has a toggle switch for the few that don't like vga mode. i was glad to get that clunky looking vga box out of my setup, which didn't have the toggle switch.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

I use HD Retrovision cables for pretty much anything that isn't my Genesis.

Only reason I'd get these is if they negate the Resolution changes some Saturn games have.