N64 HDMI Clone on the Way - Hyperkin Ultra Retron

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

N64 HDMI Clone on the Way - Hyperkin Ultra Retron

Post by Jagosaurus »

We thought it would eventually happen.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... o_64_clone

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. I dig the video is 4:3. Wondering if that's the output or changed in TV menus.

Support for Everdrive would be great. Anyone have flash carts running on any Hyperkin hardware?

After some digging:
The reviews I've seen for the RetroN HD indicate it does not work with the Everdrive N8.

Says it'll support OEM 64 controllers. Would like confirmation the new brawler or Retro Bit Tribute 64 controllers will be compatible as well.

Thoughts?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
SpaceBooger

Re: N64 HDMI Clone on the Way - Hyperkin Ultra Retron

Post by SpaceBooger »

I love the cost-effective Hyperkin HDMI systems... except that the ONE TV I want to play them on the audio doesn't seem to work. I have tried the NES and Genesis one - they work on all of my TV's except my old SONY 720 LCD.
The N64 is my least favorite console, but like all of Hyperkin's other budget HDMI systems, I am interested.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Great video here & detective work by the community.

https://youtu.be/5fWQ6JCNrH4

Looks to be running Munpen64 Plus Next emu upon further digging.

Also concurs flash cart support not likely.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah, I'll be getting this eventually, especially since the Polymega won't support the N64.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yeah, I'll be getting this eventually, especially since the Polymega won't support the N64.

Polymega has said in the past that they would make an N64 module when it is legal to do so. I suppose that the patents have finally expired given that Hyperkin is making this clone system presumably without fear of being shutdown by Nintendo. I would not be shocked if Polymega formally announces their intention to make an N64 module at E3.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

bmoc wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yeah, I'll be getting this eventually, especially since the Polymega won't support the N64.

Polymega has said in the past that they would make an N64 module when it is legal to do so. I suppose that the patents have finally expired given that Hyperkin is making this clone system presumably without fear of being shutdown by Nintendo. I would not be shocked if Polymega formally announces their intention to make an N64 module at E3.

N64 patent expired in 2016, dude. I'm surprised that it took this long to bring an n64 clone to market.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I've heard that before but I think it is just speculation based on the N64 releasing in 1996 with patents typically lasting 20 years unless you pay to extend them. I have heard other dates thrown around too, some as late as 2021.

Polymega has said that they had their legal team look into it and they basically recommended to hold off for now (as of a year ago). Source: https://www.rpgsite.net/interview/7350- ... tro-gaming

Hopefully their lawyers know their stuff.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

I'll pass on this. I want an HDMI N64, but with FPGA-based hardware or using the patented hardware design as the base.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I love that this exists, but I don't want one personally. At least not at this point. But I am really interested in their controller. Their clone console has 4 controller ports for OEM controllers. But will the bundled controller work on a real N64? Will they sell that controller separately? It looked pretty sweet in that video.

Melek-Ric wrote:I'll pass on this. I want an HDMI N64, but with FPGA-based hardware or using the patented hardware design as the base.

Are FPGAs currently powerful enough to replicate the N64?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:I love that this exists, but I don't want one personally. At least not at this point. But I am really interested in their controller. Their clone console has 4 controller ports for OEM controllers. But will the bundled controller work on a real N64? Will they sell that controller separately? It looked pretty sweet in that video.

Looks like they're showing of a wireless version at E3:
https://www.reddit.com/r/n64/comments/b ... eless_n64/

Makes me think a la carte option will be there.