Game Boy is back sorta as Ultra Game Boy

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Game Boy is back sorta as Ultra Game Boy

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Why are we all forgetting the Game.com?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Why are we all forgetting the Game.com?

Probably because it’s the Game.com.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

marurun wrote:It's not gonna have anything but GameBoy, I'm pretty sure, which means it's not particularly useful. Hyperkin needs to start making better products instead of focusing so much on packaging.

Perhaps that is the issue. They're very self aware they're not good and collecting new projects out of the cheap Chinese factories to sell here domestically, so to make up for it they're all about amazing exteriors and very retail catching and friendly box art to help rope in heaps of sales on their mediocre garbage.

If they really really cared, they'd do it right instead of circling the toilet and this wannabe Gameboy is a great example. It wouldn't have set them back really to double the CPU and RAM in there more or less, and allowed for it to handle the entire GB library which includes hybrid and dedicated GB Color games too. GBA is another beast given the ARM processor and using the GBC core as a secondary, but to just only support what the GB Pocket could do and no more was just straight up dumb.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

nullPointer wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:
SpikeSlania wrote:
Throw in Atari Lynx support while they're at it.

F**k it. It’s got to have N-Gage now.

Throw in some extra buttons & gimme dat WonderSwan. :lol:

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Segata wrote:No love for R Zone?

:lol:

No R Zone = No Sale

Tiger Telematics Gizmodo support or GTFO! :lol:
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Guys, you're asking for too much with NGPC, Game Gear, N-Gage, etc. support. You gotta be realistic and only expect Game Child support.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

You can get the original hardware modded with a biverted and backlit screen that looks great at a price cheaper than this.

Considering you've also got the AliExpress GBC clones to choose from at a much lower cost, I don't see much use for this. It needs to be a lot cheaper.

It looks like a nice thing, but I think they might have over-estimated the demand for this one.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Yeah I don’t know who the market is for this. Retro collectors would rather play on the original hardware. Tech junkies know that it’s worse than other options that are the same price or cheaper. Casual retro fans don’t tend to buy systems that require the original carts; they go for all-in-one packages like the NES Classic.

So really all that’s left is people who just buy everything. Lol.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I also don't understand this focus on the audio market. There are a lot of folks using the Gameboy for chip music, but they are going to want authentic hardware, and sometimes specific revisions of that hardware. If this is an emulator or a GBOAC it will not be something the musicians want.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Hyperkin has a history of announcing vapor products first, then measuring the market reaction after the fact. Consider the "retron 77" and the "retron x86" product announcements. Neither product has materialized thus far, possibly because of insufficient market demand to offset development cost.

Hyperkin also has a record of announcing new products on April 1st so as to play coy towards their own ambiguity. If the market guffaws at their new product, then it was an April fools joke all along. If the market reacts enthusiastically to their new product, then it was a serious announcement all along. :roll:
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

samsonlonghair wrote:Hyperkin has a history of announcing vapor products first, then measuring the market reaction after the fact. Consider the "retron 77" and the "retron x86" product announcements. Neither product has materialized thus far, possibly because of insufficient market demand to offset development cost.

Hyperkin also has a record of announcing new products on April 1st so as to play coy towards their own ambiguity. If the market guffaws at their new product, then it was an April fools joke all along. If the market reacts enthusiastically to their new product, then it was a serious announcement all along. :roll:

Didn't they do that with a HD Turbografx and we all wanted that but nothing has come out of it yet?