Retro Fighters "Brawler64" controller

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Re: Retro Fighters "Brawler64" controller

Post by GSZX1337 »

I remember seeing this on Kickstarter last year. Nice to see it's coming to fruition. I might get one, depending on how they're reviewed.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

Anyone seen any news about a definitive release date yet?
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

I was very surprised and delighted when the mail came yesterday. Immediately came in and broke it in with some Mario 64 for about an hour. 14 stars later and I must say they nailed it with this controller. It feels great in the hands and plays wonderful. The control stick does a great job replicating the OEM controller with a minimal amount of dead zone space and good analog calibration. Precision and slow movement is easy to pull off and feels great.

I need to play some other games before giving a final verdict but so far so good! 8)
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Nice to see a funded project like that keep their word and deliver on something that may really have that level of promised precision.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

8bit wrote:Image

I was very surprised and delighted when the mail came yesterday. Immediately came in and broke it in with some Mario 64 for about an hour. 14 stars later and I must say they nailed it with this controller. It feels great in the hands and plays wonderful. The control stick does a great job replicating the OEM controller with a minimal amount of dead zone space and good analog calibration. Precision and slow movement is easy to pull off and feels great.

I need to play some other games before giving a final verdict but so far so good! 8)

Thanks for the first hand information, 8bit!

If you get the chance, please try playing a song on Link’s ocarina. I’d like to know if the button presses feel natural and if the timing is right.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Mine's in the mail apparently. It could take a while for it to make its way to me in the UK though (and if it's anything like when I ordered Undertale, it'll get delayed in customs and will end up being taken hostage by Royal Mail until I pay import tax and admin fees).
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
funk_Farmer
8-bit

Post by funk_Farmer »

That controller looks awesome. Wish it would've came out back in the day. Ever since the 64 Nintendo has definitely been a company that everyone else just has to respond to. They make wacky controllers that work perfectly for the games they design but it takes other developers a couple years to wrap their heads around the concept and really throws a wrench in third party support. Still, lovely controller. I need to get a Mayflash adapter and try to get some old controllers working on pc.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

8bit, I hate to be that kind of person but how is it for Smash Brothers?
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Supposedly there's a design flaw with this controller. There's someone on the NG forum showing others how holding down the triggers affects the use of the analog stick and C-up button. From what I saw, he's right because the molding of the triggers is too close to those areas.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

As far as I know it's only the analogue stick and L button that's affected? I haven't heard anything about the C up and R buttons.

The thing is - and I've been called an apologist for this - but I really don't see the big deal. The original N64 controller was created in a way that meant the analogue stick and L button are not actually used in conjunction. The design meant that games either utilised the analogue stick and Z button OR the D-pad and L button. Therefore there aren't any games that it actually affects.

You can also just open the thing up and shave the L button if you really care.

It is a flaw and I don't dispute that, but it's a minor one and unlike some, I can understand how they missed it in quality control and testing, because no games utilise a control method that would require use of the L button and analogue stick...
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328