Seedi - retro emulation device

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
bmoc
Next-Gen

Seedi - retro emulation device

Post by bmoc »

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/seed ... g-system#/

In short, it is a emulation/media center device that has a built-in DVD drive. You can run games off a CD or copy them to internal storage. It can play ROMs from some cartridge based systems as well. It is all stuff you can do with a PC but it takes most of the work out of it and makes it more couch friendly.

I don't think I would get one myself as I think Polymega will be a superior product but I can see the appeal. If the price point is fair and the quality of the emulation is as good as they claim (I'm skeptical) then I think they could find a market.

What do you all think?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Seedi - retro emulation device

Post by fastbilly1 »

Its likely a raspberry Pi with a cd drive.

At 2:01 you can see a Pi2 in the build
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

No doubt. This is definitely for the crowd that likes the idea of a RetroPie but lacks initiative or skills to make one. Nothing wrong with that though.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Made me think of a cheaper, less elegant Polymega
http://polymega.com

I'm up for multiple players in this market, but Polymega's design and marketing has me excited :)
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

No doubt Bmoc, its got a market, but I dont think its us.
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

This is not worth investing. I saw a raspberry pi in the Lego pieces. Kodi really. I thought this was going to be a PS 2 console with other goodies. I'm practically doing all this with RetroPie. They are just trying to find loop holes instead being video game software engineers. They Didn't even mention Sega Dreamcast or saturn. Plus overtime cd games may fail in the near future, disc rot.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

That name, YEEEEESH! :? I mean... if you want someone to invest in your product, don't name it something so "seedy" sounding.
Merriam-Webster wrote: Definition of seedy
inferior in condition or quality: such as
a :shabby, run-down
seedy clothes

b :somewhat disreputable
a seedy district
a seedy lawyer

c :slightly unwell :debilitated
felt seedy and went home early

Metal Jesus Rocks did a review and teardown of this device. It's not even a real Raspberry Pi; it's a generic clone of a Raspberry Pi called "Orange Pi Lite". :roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h52vcspkHMk

I was a little bit skeptical of the Polymega, but this is a whole other level of nonsense. There's no way I'm spending money on the Seedi.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

lol yeah. I would have gone with a different name. I stand by my original assessment that it is a RetroPie for people that don't want to build a RetroPie. They are going to have to add a lot of spit and polish to make it desirable. I wish them luck but I seriously doubt I would ever get one.

If you really want to see some nonsense, I present you with the Spartan. These guys think they are going to get Sega to buy into their concept and re-enter the console market. :lol:
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I backed the failed Seedi campaign on IndieGogo as I'm very interested in a Retron-like system for disc based games (even if a Raspberry Pi would be simpler and cheaper). I like the concept of a box that plugs into the TV and uses my actual copies of the game even if it is just emulation at the end of the day.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I like that someone has introduced the concept for modern hardware for CD based games but nothing about the Seedi really impresses me. I'll just stick to using my PC for this sort of thing.