Seedi - retro emulation device

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
chuckster
32-bit

Re: Seedi - retro emulation device

Post by chuckster »

I'm with you guys, Pi-based emulation solutions just aren't impressive these days. I don't want to comment of the creators here, I'm sure they've worked hard, but every time I see these linux emulation boxes I just see a cash-grab. Anyone who is truly passionate about retro games knows that cheap linux-based emulation is the bare minimum of acceptable quality, and the same or better performance can be had from an old laptop in most cases. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the accessible nature of Pi and I have been eyeing a RGB board to try out, but if I am going to pay good money for a commercial emulation system, I'd like something I can't make at home.

This is the same thing that happened with NES and SNES though, first come cheap emulation boxes, then comes the Retron5, a dressed up version with more features, then true FPGA solutions. I'm more hopeful than ever about the hardware replacement market, and I'm sure in time quality FPGA implementations will become cheaper and more common for all systems.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Why not just use a laptop? Many now have HDMI output; the laptop more "open source" versatile for USB/Bluetooth controllers, emulation and even regular PC games for the HDTV.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

CRTGAMER wrote:Why not just use a laptop? Many now have HDMI output; the laptop more "open source" versatile for USB/Bluetooth controllers, emulation and even regular PC games for the HDTV.

I have a recycled laptop for just such a thing.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

chuckster wrote:Anyone who is truly passionate about retro games knows that cheap linux-based emulation is the bare minimum of acceptable quality, and the same or better performance can be had from an old laptop in most cases.

Thank you.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Speaking of other options...

I'm thinking about a macmini circa 2010. I think that was the last year they came with DVD-ROM drives. 2010 was after the intel transition, so I would be able to install windows 10 or windows 7 if I please. Then I could load up a PS1 emulator like ePSXe and a SegaCD emulator like Kega Fusion. I can load DOS games in DOSBOX with better compatibility. Saturn emulation continues to elude me, but I could always give it another shot. I never looked into the requirements for a NeoGeoCD emulator because I never owned a game for that system.

Wait a second...
Gamestop lists used PS3 systems for $70 - $150 depending on the SKU. That handles PS1 emulation right out of the box. What's the hacking scene look like for PS3 these days? I'm out of that loop. Has anyone ported retroarch to PS3 yet?

I guess what I'm saying is that better tech already exists on the second hand market. You could walk out of a gamestop today with an PS1 emulation box (that also happens to play PS3, DVDs, Blu-Rays, music CDs, and SACDs) with HDMI output for the same or less money. :wink:
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

samsonlonghair wrote:I guess what I'm saying is that better tech already exists on the second hand market. You could walk out of a gamestop today with an PS1 emulation box (that also happens to play PS3, DVDs, Blu-Rays, music CDs, and SACDs) with HDMI output for the same or less money. :wink:

The reason that something like Seedi interests me over using my PS3 for PS1 emulation is the ability to play import games and use translation patches. To the best of my knowledge, that's not an option on PS3.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:I guess what I'm saying is that better tech already exists on the second hand market. You could walk out of a gamestop today with an PS1 emulation box (that also happens to play PS3, DVDs, Blu-Rays, music CDs, and SACDs) with HDMI output for the same or less money. :wink:

The reason that something like Seedi interests me over using my PS3 for PS1 emulation is the ability to play import games and use translation patches. To the best of my knowledge, that's not an option on PS3.

Not with a PS3 yet so far as I know (like I said I'm out of the loop regarding PS3 hacking), but you could with a form factor PC that has a CD-ROM drive. Doesn't even need to be a Mac mini. I just picked that one because I'm an Apple nerd. Any form factor PC from around the past ten years that includes an optical drive would fit that bill.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

samsonlonghair wrote:Not with a PS3 yet so far as I know (like I said I'm out of the loop regarding PS3 hacking), but you could with a form factor PC that has a CD-ROM drive. Doesn't even need to be a Mac mini. I just picked that one because I'm an Apple nerd. Any form factor PC from around the past ten years that includes an optical drive would fit that bill.

I think a big factor with the Seedi or similar is (as has been mentioned) the intention to be plug and play. From the video posted though, that seems to be a bit hit and miss so far...and may only be at that point because of how readily some things work in RetroArch/etc already.

Generally, I'd agree with the "just get a PC" suggestion for those who are aren't completely averse to tinkering with it. Nice as the form factor for the Mac Mini is (I have a 2012 model in my living room), it's not going to be your most cost-effective or versatile option. What I'd point at instead are the myriad of refurbished business PCs out there - many small form factor or ultra small form factor machines are console size anyway, and are fairly common for the market. If a Core 2 (as the Mini has) would be fine, then you can likely find one sub-$100 (eBay had some buy-it-nows sans HDD for under $20). 3rd gen i5s can be found under $200, with plenty in between. Plus, you're typically getting a Windows license included.

Now, again, the Seedi is kinda operating in a different space, because they're looking at manufacturing the things brand new and still turning a profit. However, from the consumer end, you can find much, much more capable hardware for similar money.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

isiolia wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:Not with a PS3 yet so far as I know (like I said I'm out of the loop regarding PS3 hacking), but you could with a form factor PC that has a CD-ROM drive. Doesn't even need to be a Mac mini. I just picked that one because I'm an Apple nerd. Any form factor PC from around the past ten years that includes an optical drive would fit that bill.

I think a big factor with the Seedi or similar is (as has been mentioned) the intention to be plug and play. From the video posted though, that seems to be a bit hit and miss so far...and may only be at that point because of how readily some things work in RetroArch/etc already.

Want plug-and-play simplicity? Get a PS3. Want nigh-infinite configuration options? Get a computer.

Generally, I'd agree with the "just get a PC" suggestion for those who are aren't completely averse to tinkering with it. Nice as the form factor for the Mac Mini is (I have a 2012 model in my living room), it's not going to be your most cost-effective or versatile option. What I'd point at instead are the myriad of refurbished business PCs out there - many small form factor or ultra small form factor machines are console size anyway, and are fairly common for the market. If a Core 2 (as the Mini has) would be fine, then you can likely find one sub-$100 (eBay had some buy-it-nows sans HDD for under $20). 3rd gen i5s can be found under $200, with plenty in between. Plus, you're typically getting a Windows license included.

Exactly! There's a million small form factor PCs on the second hand market. Dell, and Lenovo sell 'em by the truckload. Granted, I pay more for the "Apple tax". If the next person chooses a different brand to save money, then more power to him.

Core 2 Duo seems sufficient to me. I use those kind of processors every day in my MacBook. I can reboot into windows 10 and emulate SegaCD games or PS1 games without a hitch.

Now, again, the Seedi is kinda operating in a different space, because they're looking at manufacturing the things brand new and still turning a profit. However, from the consumer end, you can find much, much more capable hardware for similar money.

Granted, I was looking at the consumer end, not the production end. I'm not sure how much they're actually manufacturing though. The orange pi lite is already manufactured. The USB port, the DVD-ROM drive, and the internal cabling look like ready made parts to me. I guess they're just manufacturing the plastic shell... which isn't the most terribly attractive case I have ever seen. So, what value are they bringing to the market?
marurun

Post by marurun »

That's one advantage I perceive in RetroPi. It's a tiny little unit that barely takes up space. I know I don't have 1: room for a big PC of any vintage hanging around that isn't my daily use PC, and definitely no room by the TV, or 2: the spare change to build a little microPC just for emulation.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.