HD Atari Clone - Retron 77

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

HD Atari Clone - Retron 77

Post by Jagosaurus »

Well, seems we're discussing new HD options almost monthly now. Check it out.

What's the price point need to be for you to be in?

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/atari-con ... 7-e3-2017/

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: HD Atari Clone - Retron 77

Post by CRTGAMER »

Not sure on price, but hopefully solid limit switches for the joysticks. This certainly a niche audience in light that original carts have to be used, hope it succeeds. I know target is HD, but should also have composite "PlugNPlay" option.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

If it's just 2600 (or even 2600 and 7800) and nothing else, $100 is the absolute most I'd pay, personally. My 2600 is already composite modded, I only have four 7800 games, and the Polymega folks say that they plan to support 2600. Don't get me wrong, I think this is really cool, but I'm not going to dish much out to have an HD option for one 40 year old system.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I'm not the target market for this system. The 2600 and 7800 emu scene is extremely developed and even supports multiple original controllers natively. I try to look at this unbiased though.

The market is likely 45 to 60 yr old adults who just have their HD sets. This is much different than the NES resurgence audience who is ~20 years younger with kids at home to share these games with.

Caveat... requires a stack of carts (likely from ebay). Now, here's where I do think Hyperkin is making a mistake. Their latest NES HD Clone is hardware based but doesn't boot the NES N8 EverDrive. Odd choice. Most (all?) other SoaC do run flash carts. If this new 77 Console doesn't boot the Harmory, or other Atari SD cart, you've moved to an even narrower market that want a stack of carts around the house.

Imagine how many of these you'd see at conventions with SD carts! Within the commnity, they (RetroN and A77) would be a slick all in one, HD option, at a nice price, with the ability to boot real carts....but nope.

@Elkin, man get on the 7800! There's about a dozen great games and a lot more solid. Start with these below, from a recent post of mine in the ongoing Atari thread:
my top 5 7800 games are probably:
Centipede
Dig Dug
Xevious
Commando
Ikari Warriors

Honorable Mention:
Pole Position II
Joust
Food Fight
Galaga
Donkey Kong
Choplifter
Ms. Pac Man
Desert Falcon

Cool Novelties:
Ninja Golf (wow...)
Double Dragon (interesting this was ported. So hard though.)
Mario Bros (fun & cool history)
Dark Chambers (7800 dungeon crawler)
Ballblazer (3D on 7800!)
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ok, well scratch my hardware comments above. They licensed a version on STELLA so sounds like it's emu based. No flash carts still.

According the Phil at AA (link to his YT channel vid below), they mentioned $50 but are striving to get under $80.

Looking into 7800 compatibility but no promises there.

https://youtu.be/mu1KHOlFRTs

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I'm actually really interested in this. I actually went hunting for it before realizing it hasn't been released still.
I'd really like one to put in the living room to play with my kids instead of on the original console.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

racketboy wrote:I'm actually really interested in this. I actually went hunting for it before realizing it hasn't been released still.
I'd really like one to put in the living room to play with my kids instead of on the original console.

How old are your kiddos? I've had no luck with 2600/7800 with my 2 yr old kiddo. He does however like 8-16 bit games that look like cartoons. I'm thinking once he gets gameplay the 2600/7800 will be a good place to start.

Hoping it does end up with 7800 support. Albert who owns Atari Age confirmed that he has the most issues with 7800 consoles out of the entire Atari console line up. He brings multiple to conventions expecting them to act up randomly. I know I've owned 2 of 2 7800s that gave me issues.

HDMI out is obviously a huge plus with these. Hyperkin released the HDMI out NES (Retron HD) earlier this year. I didn't read the articles, on my list for this weekend, but seems the SNES is next on their list.

If they supported flash carts, in addition to original carts, I'd be all over it . I have an emu PC connected to my gameroom TV but I like the idea of easily using carts and controllers I own. That plus flash cart support would make it an all in one box for me.

I should get a RetroFreak I guess so I can do all that & also load off SD cart. Best of both worlds 8)

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Jagosaurus wrote:
racketboy wrote:I'm actually really interested in this. I actually went hunting for it before realizing it hasn't been released still.

How old are your kiddos? I've had no luck with 2600/7800 with my 2 yr old kiddo. He does however like 8-16 bit games that look like cartoons. I'm thinking once he gets gameplay the 2600/7800 will be a good place to start.

Hoping it does end up with 7800 support. Albert who owns Atari Age confirmed that he has the most issues with 7800 consoles out of the entire Atari console line up. He brings multiple to conventions expecting them to act up randomly. I know I've owned 2 of 2 7800s that gave me issues.

HDMI out is obviously a huge plus with these. Hyperkin released the HDMI out NES (Retron HD) earlier this year. I didn't read the articles, on my list for this weekend, but seems the SNES is next on their list.

If they supported flash carts, in addition to original carts, I'd be all over it . I have an emu PC connected to my gameroom TV but I like the idea of easily using carts and controllers I own. That plus flash cart support would make it an all in one box for me.

I should get a RetroFreak I guess so I can do all that & also load off SD cart. Best of both worlds 8)

They are 2 and 4. I'm not expecting Emily to get into at 2, but Jon might. But yeah it's possible he might need NES or newer.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

racketboy wrote:They are 2 and 4. I'm not expecting Emily to get into at 2, but Jon might. But yeah it's possible he might need NES or newer.

"You'll get Atari and like it!"

These new Atari players remind me of this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010127034 ... rp/062900/
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

racketboy wrote:They are 2 and 4. I'm not expecting Emily to get into at 2, but Jon might. But yeah it's possible he might need NES or newer.

My son is ~2.5 yrs old. Here's some we've had luck with. Food Fight is the only Atari system game to date.
Jagosaurus wrote:So far he's more into the cartoon style games. We've had fun & the most luck with these:

- TMNT Arcade II - NES
- Chip & Dale - NES
- Little Nemo Dream Master - NES
- Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion - SMS
- TMNT Hyperstone Heist - Genesis
- Outrun - Genesis
- Food Fight - 7800

He also likes hot wheels, and he was actually able to steer the car in Genesis Outrun. I was very impressed.

Today we tried out some 7800 titles for the first time. He really liked Food Fight because you "eat ice cream!" & "throw bananas!" :lol:.

I'd like to get him into more Atari. He seems drawn more to the cartoon style games with more colorful base sprites for now. The 7800 has some colorful games. That may be the perfect mix of simple gameplay but eye catching as he gets more into playing vs watching.