*sigh* Bubsy is back..yeah

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: *sigh* Bubsy is back..yeah

Post by Segata »

CFFJR wrote:I'm on board for new Bubsy. I always kind of enjoyed the first game, though admittedly much more so when I was a kid. Revisiting it as an adult was irritating.

I mean if it turns out great, then great, we have an enjoyable new platformer.

But it'll be kind of funny, in a watch the world burn kind of way, if the game turns out to be really bad. Maybe I'm just an asshole, I dunno. :lol:

Let's be honest though, despite the franchise history, there's nothing stopping this new game from being a good one. It's not the same team or hardware or industry. That different environment is an early point in it's favor, so it doesn't hurt to be optimistic. Hell, I'll bet they take the opportunity to make fun of the older games with a wink to the player.

Anyway, I'll be playing it.

Sload Soap wrote:Black Forest games who did the new Giana Sisters games which were pretty good, so there is hope.

I didn't catch this. I quite liked both Giana Sisters DS and Twisted Dreams, so that's great news.

Maybe but it's still 4 hours of bad voice acting with cat puns. I rather listen to Mighty Number 9 advertising about anime fans on prom night.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I dunno, I think the voice provided for Bubsy is more tolerable than most voices provided for Mega Man.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

marurun wrote:I dunno, I think the voice provided for Bubsy is more tolerable than most voices provided for Mega Man.

If I find the voice actors for Bubsy will I find DR Wawee?
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I like many, did not mind Bubsy as a kid, but as an adult find the game falls victim to many bad design choices that make it age horribly.

I actually think this will end up better than the originals.,which I obviously don't think is hard, have a camera than pans more than 2 meters and to me it will be better than them.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

It's 2017. What's old is new again, apparently.

Even Bubsy.

Get ready for the Gex and Duke Nukem crossover game next.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

No fall damage. Seriously why they put that in the 16 bit games is beyond me.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Segata wrote:No fall damage. Seriously why they put that in the 16 bit games is beyond me.

It works in cinematic platformers like Flashback and Blackthorne, but not in a cutesy mascot platformer
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

That accolade image was pretty amusing to see come back.

I had a good history with that company when it came to various games, but they also were notable for being ultimately a hit and miss turd factory. Not like LJN on NES bad, but up there.

For me I did enjoy Bubsy 1 but their console stuff was usually crap. I loved them in the early 90s for their awesome PC titles they published. Speed Racer in the Challenge of Racer X was amazing, the best cartoon conversion of that franchise. They also handled both Star Control 1 and 2. Hardball was ok too, and I think it's a given to throw a nod to the Test Drive franchise which I found more rewarding than NFS from EA. And then again they also did publish Turrican too on some systems like the Gameboy and TG16.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Hey, let's resurrect this because why not.

I just finished this game tonight, and I rather enjoyed it. Short, but honestly pretty fun.

The only real problem I have with it is that it's fairly plain and average. The original games had more personality. Plus they really needed to record more lines for Bubsy. You'll hear them all in short order.

Better game overall compared to the originals though, that much is certain.

Anybody else bother to play it?
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Forgot this was even a thing.

Honestly I prefer this kind of revival. If you're going to remake something, remake something bad and make it better instead of constantly remaking something good and making it worse.