*sigh* Bubsy is back..yeah

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Segata
Next-Gen

*sigh* Bubsy is back..yeah

Post by Segata »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCA3j59IrfQ

Welp. These were terrible games in the 16 bit era and bottom of the barrel in 32 bit. We got Shaq Fu and now Bubsy. Anyone want to shoot for Cheetamen 3?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: *sigh* Bubsy is back..yeah

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Segata wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCA3j59IrfQ

Welp. These were terrible games in the 16 bit era and bottom of the barrel in 32 bit. We got Shaq Fu and now Bubsy. Anyone want to shoot for Cheetamen 3?

No because Cheetamen was so far below the already low caliber of those mentioned titles.

Look, of all the times to reboot the franchise, now is the time. It could be good... it could be bad. If it is great, we all win. If it is bad, big whoop... none of us was craving a Bubsy reboot in the first place. No reason to be disappointed if your hopes aren't high and it could possibly be a lot of fun! Who knows!?
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

I assume the Bubsy rereleases on Steam did enough to warrant this? Either way this new one is being made by Black Forest games who did the new Giana Sisters games which were pretty good, so there is hope.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I'm on board for new Bubsy. I always kind of enjoyed the first game, though admittedly much more so when I was a kid. Revisiting it as an adult was irritating.

I mean if it turns out great, then great, we have an enjoyable new platformer.

But it'll be kind of funny, in a watch the world burn kind of way, if the game turns out to be really bad. Maybe I'm just an asshole, I dunno. :lol:

Let's be honest though, despite the franchise history, there's nothing stopping this new game from being a good one. It's not the same team or hardware or industry. That different environment is an early point in it's favor, so it doesn't hurt to be optimistic. Hell, I'll bet they take the opportunity to make fun of the older games with a wink to the player.

Anyway, I'll be playing it.

Sload Soap wrote:Black Forest games who did the new Giana Sisters games which were pretty good, so there is hope.

I didn't catch this. I quite liked both Giana Sisters DS and Twisted Dreams, so that's great news.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I liked the first one and had it in the day on SNES. The franchise on the whole though was horribly bungled and ruined peoples memories of anything Bubsy entirely.

While the original wasn't a masterpiece, it wasn't a turd like every other release. Annoyingly you had to get used to some odd drifting physics when jump/gliding and the hit box was insanely unfair landing on enemy stuff from those woolies to the bouncing manholes. Outside of that though you had well made stages, solid audio effects, a really funny set of death/fear animations and cute quips to go with much of it. It was a good B-tier platformer. I welcome a new one if it's not jacked up again horribly, like the first, but with the rough edges smoothed out so it doesn't feel like quite a few cheap deaths thrown in there.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Each day we stray further away from God
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, this is pretty much the Twisted Dreams engine. Looks very similar in gameplay. Which means, of course, it should be at least competent.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

They ressurected the Accolade name also. That was a flashback to Hardball '94 for me.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

retrosportsgamer wrote:They ressurected the Accolade name also. That was a flashback to Hardball '94 for me.

For me it brought back memories of Mean 18 on my Apple IIGS. That game had a course editor and the title sequence was a dancing gopher which looked awfully familiar to another dancing hold gopher from some movie.

The, "Accolade presents (cue sound for a golf swing)" intro sound byte still lingers strong in my memory to this day.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Test Drive on the Apple II actually used the basic Apple speaker to playback a scratchy sampled spoken "Accolade presents". It had to load a lot of data to playback that sample, and then it had to dump it all and load a bunch more for the actual game. Kinda wish they hadn't done that : )
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.