*sigh* Bubsy is back..yeah

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: *sigh* Bubsy is back..yeah

Post by Tanooki »

If this site like AA had a like button, that post would get it. If you're remaking, do it to improve, not make it worse which is what happens most the time annoyingly. Bubsy didn't have a huge bar to crawl over some do, but even in its mediocrity the original was a solid enough game and from all I've read up this one meets and exceeds it if only by a moderate bit. When I can get some more stuff out of my face and feel comfy with my time I intend to pick it up.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I actually really like the look/art style & fairy tale theme level design of Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales which is the Atari Jaguar exclusive (not a port like most lump it in as).

It has a floating/semi flying mechanic which is required to master the game. Just pray the reboot doesn't borrow that...

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Gunstar Green wrote:Forgot this was even a thing.

Honestly I prefer this kind of revival. If you're going to remake something, remake something bad and make it better instead of constantly remaking something good and making it worse.

They remade something bad and still made it bad.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

You're being dramatic just to be snarky.

I think the reviewer over at gaming-age said it best and even metacritic quoted that part of his writeup to tie back to the review which I'll paste here.

"There really isn’t much to say about this new Bubsy that can persuade the haters out there. It’s a simple, underwhelming platformer with a goofy plot and mediocre challenge. Many of the problems that plagued the past Bubsy games have been fixed or completely removed, at least making this new game playable, but that’s the only new thing really presented here. It’s fun in small doses, but gets boring with longer play sessions. I’m still puzzled as to why anyone thought Bubsy needed to make a comeback as no one really missed him. It’s not as bad as I originally thought it would be, but it’s nothing new at the same time. Give it a try if your curious, you might like it. Just be thankful they didn’t try to remake Bubsy 3D. "

If you like Bubsy or platformers, it's a good game, but it's not a great one, it's just a middler. The problems that made Bubsy a pain in the ass to enjoy in the past with the control and stuff has been resolved making for a game that's a fine platformer that just doesn't stand out at all as it's now (for Bubsy history) playable. Nothing else has changed. If you hated the visuals, the audio, the snarky comments, goofy cat animations, the weird enemies, and the rest you'll still hate it. If you hated it because the controls/mechanics got you killed, they're fixed. It's no A-game like a Mario, but it's no F- like Bubsy 3D either -- it's just a C-effort for a C-game that at least plays right.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. At least it was a genuine effort unlike the Cheetahmen 2 thing. In this media overload of a world what does it really hurt to have another Bubsy game?
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

TK Island Boy Gamer

Post by TK Island Boy Gamer »

Bubsy was one of the only carts I had from childhood, so its always had a special place in my heart. But I've always understood why it gets its hate. The one hit KO and momentum of the game is annoying, but on the other hand, you were given 9 lives, because hooray for edgy puns!
Retrogameresource
16-bit

Post by Retrogameresource »

I played Bubsy all the time when I was little. It isnt horrible, but it is definitely far from good. I think if it wasn't for the physics the 2D games would have been okay.
http://retrogameresource.com/ Your Source for Retro Game Curation