RetroN HD - NES 720p for $39.99

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

RetroN HD - NES 720p for $39.99

Post by Jagosaurus »

Did I miss the thread elsewhere?

Made by Hyperkin who we all know from the Retron 5. Assuming it won't run flash carts, as the R5 didn't. Because of this, I personally won't be in the market. I do like the price point, design, & ability to run in 4:3.

Edit: We'll holy smokes, looks like the N8 flash cart might work afterall. 3 different questions were asked about this on Amazon Q&As, and all were told yes by someone listed as "manufacturer." If that is true, I'll happily fork up $40.

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072PC59 ... ref=plSrch

The RetroN HD offers:
HD audio and video (720p) with 16:9/4:3 switch (HD cable only)
High compatibility for NTSC AND PAL cartridges (via bottom case switch)
Premium classic-style "Cadet" controller (10 ft. cable)
3 ft. HD cable
6 ft. Micro USB charge cable with USB AC Adapter
Also includes AV ports with AV cable

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: RetroN HD - NES 720p for $39.99

Post by Xeogred »

Looks nice. I'll wait for some RB impressions.
R9delta
8-bit

Post by R9delta »

This thing runs on a typical NOAC as opposed to the Retron 5 and Retro Freak which runs on emulation and dumping the cartridge to memory first so yeah I don't see why it wouldn't be able to run flash carts. Of course stuff like this has it's own problems as well to the point of me not understand why some people crap on emulation boxes and give devices like these a free pass. Looks decent though if you need something cheap that'll run actual NES cartridges and flash carts that'll output in HDMI (rough quality of the picture aside)
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

R9delta wrote:This thing runs on a typical NOAC as opposed to the Retron 5 and Retro Freak which runs on emulation and dumping the cartridge to memory first so yeah I don't see why it wouldn't be able to run flash carts. Of course stuff like this has it's own problems as well to the point of me not understand why some people crap on emulation boxes and give devices like these a free pass. Looks decent though if you need something cheap that'll run actual NES cartridges and flash carts that'll output in HDMI (rough quality of the picture aside)

Good point regarding flashcarts with chip clone versus emulation.

My Ever Drive N8 save states don't work on the Retro Trio (chip/hardware clone). You can have some glitches like this as well.

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I wish they would avoid making their ugly logos so predominant :(

Anybody else kinda wish they were just a bit more expensive in exchange for higher quality?
marurun

Post by marurun »

Have the Retron folks publicized that anywhere? That it's an NOAC? Do we know if its the same-old-same-old or slightly updated?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I wouldn't mind it being higher if the higher quality was less ugly self promotion, but more so if they used the $ to QC a better internal chip so you don't get the usual NOAC filth.

In a way the NOAC is the curse of the last decade with Sega Genesis + ATGames. The NOAC is the hardware flaw equal to the software suckage crap emulation of ATGames. Both get you games that won't work, random glitches, sound problems (minor to ear violating rotten), or gameplay issues due to the given output.

Amusing in a way, like a tragic comedy.

If this thing was proven to be as solid as a pin snipped NES/top loader but ran in HDMI, could deal with anything thrown at it (which includes flash kits) I'd totally be on board.

As of yet the only compromise I can tolerate is the FC Mobile 88 which runs anything I've thrown at it other than some varying expansion chip titles (VRC6 Castlevania 3J, Namco chip in Final Lap/Dochuki Yokai.) Yet the visuals, audio, and controls are right there outside of a random PCM channel softness on some titles.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

It does seem to be NOAC. I was reading some reviews and just seems to be alright, pretty good for $40, but the video upscaler is meh.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Oddly enough, the Retro Trio (NOAC) runs Castlevania 3 off my Ever Drive N8, but won't run the real cart.

Not sure what that's about? Assuming something with the mapper emulation in the N8?

Worth noting, you can use original NES controllers. For $40... HDMI 720p out, native controller support, & 4:3 aspect... I think I'm in. Not use what color though.

Do you guys think the chip clones are on par with emulators or worse? I've noticed check boarding when using s video with NOAC. Will be interested to see how HDMI looks.

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Sad that it is running a NOAC.