Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: The OSSC Thread

by Anapan Sun May 06, 2018 8:30 am

I have both the Framemeister and OSSC, and I still strive to get 240P to 480P with scanlines. Both do it well, but I'm so glad I have both. Neither can do it perfectly, but when I get it right on one, it's totally worth it. If someone wants to get that 480P smooth scanline look that is my only goal - the OSSC wins hands down. It is easily the only scaler I need. The Framemeister is so much more, I do need it for some situations when the signal is badly offset, dirty, or too nonstandard. The OSSC can do everything the OSSC can, but the Framemeister is so much harder to tweak because of it's advanced frame processing engine. I love that it can adjust the entire image by the sub-pixel, but I hate that it has to be tweaked by the sub-pixel to get it right. The OSSC can just fit the pixels properly into your display,
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: The OSSC Thread

by bmoc Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:44 am

My Life in Gaming released a new episode yesterday on 4K gaming. The OSSC was heavily featured. I highly recommend that you check it out if you have a 4K TV that you are planning to use the OSSC with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dym6XD3-8qw

On a side note, there have been a few firmware updates since I last posted in this thread. A good chuck of it has been bug fixes and tweaking really advanced features. However the most recent firmware added Hybrid Scanline support. Hybrid Scanlines lighten the image a good deal. So if you think that OSSC's normal scanline feature makes the image too dark, this will help greatly. I haven't tried it myself because I'm happy with the way mine is operating.
Return to Old-School Gaming News