Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Re: Retroblox: New 1080p "Clone" - 2600 to PCE-CD to PS1

by Forlorn Drifter Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:45 pm

I'm definitely interested in this, though it will depend on future support. Obviously there is a lot already planned, and many systems seem like they have a solid chance of getting support. I'm just curious that, if, for example, the patent on N64 is up, they'd make a thing for this.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:38 am

The CD support was all it took to sell me, but getting N64 support would be great.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:04 pm

With the disc drive (though I admit I don't know what all it can currently read), I think there is amazing potential for future consoles to add IF patents run out. The idea of say, OXbox or PS2 on here is delicious, though I don't know our chances of seeing that because I don't know how parents work.

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:44 pm

Does the Polymega use a DVD drive? I assumed it was just a CD-ROM drive. Either way. It's probably not much more expensive to manufacture one over the other these days.

I suspect the BIOS of the PS2 is already secured under many layers of copyright protection. Sony will keep that code under copyright as long as they can.

Here's a thought: A person could rig up a media center PC with a CD-ROM drive for a tiny price - maybe just build it out of stuff laying around, or bought second hand from Goodwill. One could build it into a nice enclosure, and maybe add some controller adapters or retrode-esque cartridge ports. It wouldn't be terribly hard to make something that works better than this already.

Of course, I don't mean to rain on your parade. If you want to buy a Polymega just 'cause you think it's cool, that's your prerogative.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:32 pm

All I would need from this is PCE and Neo Geo CD. Likely won't be able to afford this but I will see if I can find a way. I seriously need this thing.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:24 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:Does the Polymega use a DVD drive? I assumed it was just a CD-ROM drive. Either way. It's probably not much more expensive to manufacture one over the other these days.

I suspect the BIOS of the PS2 is already secured under many layers of copyright protection. Sony will keep that code under copyright as long as they can.

It will have a DVD drive.

They are using custom BIOS to get around the legality of using original BIOS (or having people download the original BIOS from the internet). This also allows for improvements such as the drastically reduced load times for Neo Geo CD games.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:12 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:Does the Polymega use a DVD drive? I assumed it was just a CD-ROM drive. Either way. It's probably not much more expensive to manufacture one over the other these days.

Here's a thought: A person could rig up a media center PC with a CD-ROM drive for a tiny price - maybe just build it out of stuff laying around, or bought second hand from Goodwill. One could build it into a nice enclosure, and maybe add some controller adapters or retrode-esque cartridge ports. It wouldn't be terribly hard to make something that works better than this already.

Of course, I don't mean to rain on your parade. If you want to buy a Polymega just 'cause you think it's cool, that's your prerogative.

My buy would be totally predicated on support and such. I have no physical collection of cart games besides a handful of N64 currently, so as of current it's not offering me much.

I'd build something like that if I had the know how, and could make it a small enough size. I wouldn't even know where to get parts for a decent price. I'd also like the emulators to seem non existent after setup, which as far as I know would best be done in Linux. I'm better off just hacking a Wii, but then I don't have any way to cover the paltry amount of PS2 I want.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:04 am

Forlorn Drifter wrote:

My buy would be totally predicated on support and such. I have no physical collection of cart games besides a handful of N64 currently, so as of current it's not offering me much.

I'd build something like that if I had the know how, and could make it a small enough size. I wouldn't even know where to get parts for a decent price. I'd also like the emulators to seem non existent after setup, which as far as I know would best be done in Linux. I'm better off just hacking a Wii, but then I don't have any way to cover the paltry amount of PS2 I want.

You can load & play over 95% of the PS2 library directly off the PS2 Phat HDD. You can do this with 100% of the oXbox library off the internal HDD. See my signature links. Those are two systems where drive failure isn't as crippling to system preservation. Until, the systems start experiencing other hardware failures such as capacitors, etc.

The main draw to me is that all CD based games will work on this with no additional add on, correct? PCE CD through PS1? Have they mentioned anything about SS? Those are all aging system starting to exhibit hardware issues.

I do love emulators that allow you to put in a physical disc of a game that you own. Then again, I guess I like the idea bc I've only ever done it a few times. I normally rip my personal copy of the game, then load said iso :lol:
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:23 pm

http://polymega.com/2018/06/04/element- ... ntrollers/

Finally some news! The above link has pics of a module in the box along with their custom classic wired controllers.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:00 pm

Segata wrote:All I would need from this is PCE and Neo Geo CD. Likely won't be able to afford this but I will see if I can find a way. I seriously need this thing.

Both are supported.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to Old-School Gaming News