Polymega/Retroblox: New 1080p "Clone" 2600 to PCE-CD to PS1

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Retroblox: New 1080p "Clone" - 2600 to PCE-CD to PS1

Post by bmoc »

The rebranding is complete. They have gone with the name "POLYMEGA". The old site now redirects to the new domain. There is should be a lot of new info dropping next week with a big announcement during E3 (I'm guessing preorders will go live).

http://polymega.com/2017/05/29/introducing-polymega/
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I'm actually getting really excited about this. I can't wait to hear more details.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

So the E3 annoucement is NeoGeo CD support with improved load times! 80% faster than the base NeoGeo CD console.
marurun

Post by marurun »

This thing is still looking to be WAY more expensive than it needs to be. There's no way this is an affordable thing for classic gamers.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

marurun wrote:This thing is still looking to be WAY more expensive than it needs to be. There's no way this is an affordable thing for classic gamers.

I think they are aiming for quality somewhere between the Retron 5 and an Analogue NT product. I'm pretty sure there is a market for such a device. Polymega hasn't announced a price yet but they have said that the base unit will be under $300 and modules will be $60 or less.

I'm excited about the project for its inherent space saving ability and its preservation potential. Those early CD based consoles are getting pretty old and are prone to failure. Having a modern disc drive will help reliability considerably and being able to dump the discs to an SD card will help extend the life of its own disc drive.

I am hoping that Polymega will knock one out of the park and learn from the past mistakes of other clone consoles. If they can strike a balance in build quality and price, I think they could find a fairly large audience. I still have a few questions that I want answered before I am on board 100% but I see a lot of potential here.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

If I can afford it this will be my first fake retro console. I need this so bad. be cheaper than getting all those systems.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

bmoc wrote:80% faster than the base NeoGeo CD console.

Awesome! I'll only have to wait three months between rounds of Samurai Shodown II!

My bet is that the base unit will run between $200 and $250 and the modules will be $50 each.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

A newer drive will only be more reliable for a few years. But newer drives don't hold up well, so after a few years it will decline and the original hardware will go back to being more reliable, because that stuff is tank-like.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

marurun wrote:A newer drive will only be more reliable for a few years. But newer drives don't hold up well, so after a few years it will decline and the original hardware will go back to being more reliable, because that stuff is tank-like.

Then disc rots sets in...

Then all the capacitors in the system die...

Our entire hobby is actually a ticking time bomb :lol:

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I think another site I'm on found them quoted as around $200 for the base system with the disc drive, and for every individual system module you're looking around $60 for that.

Since the base unit isn't covered in cartridge slots, you'll be paying at a bare minimum $60 for Nintendo(any console), Sega (any), TG16 (hucards), and so on for whatever is intended.

Also what about these CD systems, some save inside, some use memory cards like the NGCD and the PS1. They going to sell a memory card module too?

No mention of handheld being included in same or differing modules so Gameboy family and Game Gear family could be more.

If you wanted to get a full blown does it all box it's going to keep pacing with the updated microsoft and sony v1.5 systems of their current generation stuff which is laughable.