Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Retroblox: New 1080p "Clone" - 2600 to PCE-CD to PS1

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:32 am

bmoc wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to do some sort of partial FPGA Saturn module since it is so hard to accurately emulate. They might use a FPGA that only replicates the 3D CPU while using software emulation for the 2D CPU. That sounds like something that could be a thing with their "Hybrid Emulation" tech.

I think - if I remember correctly - they mentioned that they aim to add Saturn compatibility but that the difficulty achieving accurate emulation is the main reason that it's not currently included.

Of course, I could be TOTALLY off base, but I feel like I read that in one of their interviews.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:34 am

bmoc wrote:SNES CD support is a possibility. They are going to look into any legal ramifications before proceeding.

Why would anyone care?
marurun

by marurun Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:54 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote: (technically the Dreamcast was a GD-ROM, but that's basically just a modified compressed CD)

Nope. The GD-ROM is actually a unique physical format that requires a special drive. The pits on the surface of the disc are closer together. That's the primary difference with a DVD as well; the pits are closer together. But on a DVD they are so close you have to have a different type of laser to read them. The GD-ROM uses special motor controls so that a standard CD laser can read the more tightly packed information (whereas a DVD drive has a separate laser to read CDs). A regular CD drive cannot read the tighter pits of a GD-ROM unless someone were to hack new motor control and coordination controls into the firmware.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:32 am

marurun wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote: (technically the Dreamcast was a GD-ROM, but that's basically just a modified compressed CD)

Nope. The GD-ROM is actually a unique physical format that requires a special drive. The pits on the surface of the disc are closer together. That's the primary difference with a DVD as well; the pits are closer together. But on a DVD they are so close you have to have a different type of laser to read them. The GD-ROM uses special motor controls so that a standard CD laser can read the more tightly packed information (whereas a DVD drive has a separate laser to read CDs). A regular CD drive cannot read the tighter pits of a GD-ROM unless someone were to hack new motor control and coordination controls into the firmware.

Huh. Didn't know that. Thanks for the correction; you learn something new every day.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:57 am

fastbilly1 wrote:
bmoc wrote:SNES CD support is a possibility. They are going to look into any legal ramifications before proceeding.

Why would anyone care?

Homebrew or adding CD audio patches to existing SNES games.

If the question was in regards to the legal ramifications, I guess they want to be 100% certain they won't get hit with Cease & Desist from Nintendo/Sony/Phillips.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:05 pm

bmoc wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:

Why would anyone care?

Homebrew or adding CD audio patches to existing SNES games.

If the question was in regards to the legal ramifications, I guess they want to be 100% certain they won't get hit with Cease & Desist from Nintendo/Sony/Phillips.

Fair enough. I only know of one homebrew title for the system so it seems like a lot of R&D budget for a very limited audience.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:21 am

fastbilly1 wrote:Fair enough. I only know of one homebrew title for the system so it seems like a lot of R&D budget for a very limited audience.

I think it's crazy how the Pier Solar Genesis cart can use the CD placed in the Sega CD for the music.

The Enhanced Soundtrack Disc-Grab the disc!
By using the Mega-CD/Sega CD add-on for the Mega Drive/Genesis, you can enhance your Pier Solar gaming experience with the hi-fi soundtrack and ambient sound effects of the optional Enhanced Soundtrack Disc, which creates a richer atmosphere with stronger emotion. WaterMelon did what SEGA should have done!

I could see home brewers making a hook/patch for CD quality music in existing cart games. A Link to the Past with CD quality music for example would have people going nuts. Of course, they could do it for new homebrew/indies and hacks as well.

Agree, Limited audience.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:48 pm

bmoc wrote:
Now that I think about it, I don't think they have commented on how they are handling original controllers for PS1. You will definitely be able to use Retroblox's wireless controller. But for original PS1 controllers, I suppose they would have to make an optional "controller module" or USB adapter. Sega CD and PC-Engine CD are covered via their respective cartridge/card modules.

Probably PS3 controller via USB. That's what I would do if it was my decision.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:42 pm

Soooo...we haven't heard much since the project announcement. And the Kickstarter allegedly begins in April. I poked around the Retroblox forums and found this:

http://retroblox.com/forums/topic/proje ... #post-8785
Hi Guys, we’re still full steam ahead. You will know right away why we haven’t been posting updates once you see the announcement. Please hang tight in the meantime.

I'm putting my money on them being bought out by a larger company. Possibly no Kickstarter needed now.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:58 pm

Turns out that another company somewhere is using the name Retroblox so they are going to have to change it. The Kickstarter is being pushed back so they can rebrand. However, they have secured enough capital to take the project to completion without crowdfunding. They will still do a Kickstarter to gauge interest for the first order. I suspect that any extra money may go to stretch goals.
Return to Old-School Gaming News