Polymega/Retroblox: New 1080p "Clone" 2600 to PCE-CD to PS1

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Retroblox: New 1080p "Clone" - 2600 to PCE-CD to PS1

Post by bmoc »

Nintendo Life just released a lengthy video detailing the system menu and a tiny bit of gameplay.

https://youtu.be/xP2th2UHmJo

It sure does look slick and easy to navigate. Pretty much every E3 impression that I have read is positive. I think I am down for at least two modules at launch. Most likely Genesis and NES. I only have a stock NES at the moment so that will be a nice upgrade. My second one will probably be the Genesis module so that I can remove all those power bricks from my setup.

I'll have to save the SNES and Turbografx 16 modules for later unless they have a really nice bundle deal when preorders start.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

bmoc wrote:Nintendo Life just released a lengthy video detailing the system menu and a tiny bit of gameplay.

https://youtu.be/xP2th2UHmJo

It sure does look slick and easy to navigate. Pretty much every E3 impression that I have read is positive. I think I am down for at least two modules at launch. Most likely Genesis and NES. I only have a stock NES at the moment so that will be a nice upgrade. My second one will probably be the Genesis module so that I can remove all those power bricks from my setup.

I'll have to save the SNES and Turbografx 16 modules for later unless they have a really nice bundle deal when preorders start.

Definitely excited about this! I think TG16 would be my first pick. Any word on it handling all the different formats in the family? Like am I gonna have to swap units if I want to jump between HuCards and TurboCDs?
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

You'll just need the one module to do everything Turbografx/PC Engine. In fact, you won't need any module to do CD based games. That will work with the base unit alone.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Any hope that this will play Saturn games? What about N64 or 7800?
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

They have expressed interest in Saturn but that is a tough one to properly emulate even now. They want to do N64 but they are waiting for patents to expire. There was a 2600/7800 module planned when they first announced the project. I think there is a good chance that it will return post launch.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

bmoc wrote:You'll just need the one module to do everything Turbografx/PC Engine. In fact, you won't need any module to do CD based games. That will work with the base unit alone.

Oh That’s so good — thanks!
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Looks like preorders are happening in August. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkxm8kcl2Ab/
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Preorders are still on schedule for this month. They are also going to announce support for another disc based system - playable at launch. I really hope it is Saturn.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

bmoc wrote:Preorders are still on schedule for this month. They are also going to announce support for another disc based system - playable at launch. I really hope it is Saturn.

While it would still be cool to have 3DO support, the Saturn or Dreamcast would be phenomenal. However, both those would be harder to emulate?
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I think the smart bet would be 3DO or CDi because they are easier to emulate. However there is a ton more demand for Saturn and Dreamcast. If they got one of those two working well for launch it would help them sell more consoles.

Now that I have said that, watch it be something really obscure like FM Towns Marty, PC-FX, or Amiga CD32.