Tectoy Sega MegaDrive with SD card

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Tectoy Sega MegaDrive with SD card

Post by samsonlonghair »

Do I have your attention?

Tectoy of Brazil is teasing a new MegaDrive with SD card slot.
Tectoy's official teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_6dC8k-hfQ

What (we think) we know
  • SD card slot to load "save files" :wink:
  • This is not a mini console; It's a full-size Sega MegaDrive.
  • Model 1 style case
  • NOT made by at@games
  • Manufactured in Brazil to keep cost down for Brazilian domestic market
  • Rumored cost is 499 Brazilian Real ($158.90 US Dollars)
  • Cartridge slot confirmed
  • Reports vary on bundled controller. Some say six button; some say three button. All say only one controller will be bundled with system.

Caveats: This is mostly based on rumor and speculation released in Portuguese and auto-translated via google. Take it with a grain of salt.

Sources:
http://www.campograndenews.com.br/lado- ... ara-dia-31

https://jovemnerd.com.br/nerdnews/novo- ... -sd-rumor/
Last edited by samsonlonghair on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Re: New Sega MegaDrive with HDMI and SD card

Post by IrishNinja »

prolly gonna be more cheap crap like the last thing, isn't it?

who am i kidding; i bought a neo geo gold x. day 1
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

IrishNinja wrote:prolly gonna be more cheap crap like the last thing, isn't it?

Possibly not. Most of the crappy genesis clones we have seen were made by at@games, who has nothing to do with this hardware. This one is made by Tectoy in Brazil.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

An oddball thing here I should share. I found a review of the newest atgames handheld as it added saving. Wrote a reviewer on it who said that only those 3 games included did when I speculated buying it. He said to hold off that they were planning a full on brand new retooling of the genesis console and handheld hardware for 2017 that fixes the problems people have with the current atgames genesis.

Perhaps they are in bed with tectoys supplier on this? Or maybe they licensed a good solid android emulator andwill use the similar ARM core the current coleco and intellivision boxes they have use. This would correct the few graphics problems, off key audio, and broken saving. Id buy that.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

I don't think Tectoy needs to go through at@games. They do their own manufacturing in Brazil. This is due to strict tariffs on imported electronics. In this case, it's actually cheaper for Tectoy to manufacture their own device than to import Chinese-made crap from at@games.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yup. It's why the Master System still continues to sell there, too. The import tariffs there are absolutely ridiculous.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Re: Tectoy Sega MegaDrive with SD card

Post by samsonlonghair »

Update: we have news from Tectoy. Looks like the SD card slot is confirmed as speculated. Cartridge slot is also confirmed. Speculation was wrong about the HDMI port though. Looks like Tectoy considered HDMI, but ultimately decided against it to save cost. I can't blame them for the decision. Tectoy understands that they need to make their product affordable in order for their customers to purchase it.

I updated the first post to reflect this info.

Source:
http://www.tecmundo.com.br/video-game-e ... o-2017.htm
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

so yeah, no HDMI but still far better than what we've had before! wonder what getting it out of brazil would cost...man it'd be cool just to see the box with new (haha) sega hardware for sale!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

IrishNinja wrote:so yeah, no HDMI but still far better than what we've had before! wonder what getting it out of brazil would cost...man it'd be cool just to see the box with new (haha) sega hardware for sale!

I love the idea also but imagine getting the PAL signal to run on our monitors would be rough. Power converter can be solved easy enough.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

samsonlonghair wrote:Update: we have news from Tectoy. Looks like the SD card slot is confirmed as speculated. Cartridge slot is also confirmed. Speculation was wrong about the HDMI port though. Looks like Tectoy considered HDMI, but ultimately decided against it to save cost. I can't blame them for the decision. Tectoy understands that they need to make their product affordable in order for their customers to purchase it.

I updated the first post to reflect this info.

Source:
http://www.tecmundo.com.br/video-game-e ... o-2017.htm

Brazil PAL Genesis Clone SD Slot Console
The composite output makes the console more universal for older PAL TVs, though HDMI would have been better due to many now own an HDTV. The SD slot and HDMI combined would have made the console a tempting buy. However, even if HDMI available it would not work on NTSC TVs; even at the HD resolutions.

Since no HDMI and the PAL issue anyways, perhaps an Everdrive SD Cart a better solution combined with a real Genesis? Thanks to this thread, I'm looking again into the SD Cart route for my 1st generation Genesis and ATGame Genesis clone console. V2 ram load vs V3 direct load; price still the obstacle.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425