Light Gun Games on Modern TVs

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Light Gun Games on Modern TVs

Post by Jagosaurus »

Worth noting, I'm fairly certain the CDi light gun uses some form of early IR & works on CRTs & LCDs.

Anything in that technology that is different that the Wii remote might help this mod.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Necro Bump!

It looks like this project is getting close to market. https://www.lightgunverter.com/
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

That looks far far more reasonable than that 110% pure BS campaign starter for a dumb device doing much the same that only worked with Duck Hunt. This one works across multiple platforms, does 2P even, and made up but works 2P for single player like switching between for targets in Duck Hunt which is a slick idea.

It seems far more practical using a cheapo Wiimote than cannibalizing the hell out of old Zappers (or cheap copies) for a lot more money and labor to make it so.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

From a technical standpoint, the failed Modern Mallard kickstarter was very impressive. If he had started with say 5-10 NES games with plans to add more, it probably would have succeeded if the price was right.

I'd like to see emulation boxes such as the Retron 5 and/or Polymega take the Modern Mallard approach. Patch the light gun games and release a specially made light gun so that no sensor bar is needed. However, I have no idea how hard it would be to code those patches. It might not be practical.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Practical or not I think it sounds do-able, and Wii like LED arrays to track such a shot are super cheap so either method could work we've seen now. I'd buy it, if all light gun games worked, but not that hellish price for just Duck Hunt which was idiotic announcing it like that with that price.
Kingkongkool

Post by Kingkongkool »

That's pretty cool to be honest, I would like to see where things go from here. Modern tvs have there ups and downs... probably more upset then downs, but tvs won't be perfect for everything we need to do on them until they're completely virtual. :mrgreen:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Timely. I realized yesterday that the Wii U Virtual Console has three NES lightgun games with Wii Remote support (e.g., Duck Hunt, Hogan’s Alley, and Wild Gunman). I bought them all and would’ve loved to see more. The fact that Nintendo never ported SNES Super Scope games to the Wii/Wii U is a crime against humanity.
IMJ
24-bit

Post by IMJ »

I've got the PS3 Time Crisis box set with the crazy T.V. sensors. Generally speaking, it works well but the setup is a PITA and the calibration is fairly annoying. This thread makes me want to boot up the original PSOne Time Crisis and GunCon on my old CRTV though - man that was a fun game.