Ouya WILL Survive the End of its Online Mode...

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
artphotodude

Ouya WILL Survive the End of its Online Mode...

Post by artphotodude »

Just went through the 200+ Ouya games I have downloaded (about half cost me around $1-$9, the rest were Free), and after disconnecting from the network to see which ones might not be as much fun when they can no longer talk to the network, there were only 10 that either required online for gameplay, or would not be able to verify purchase. Only one of those, MouseCraft, is one I will miss. So to those of you who are choosing not to get an Ouya because of its coming demise in a year, give it another think.

I've had as much fun with it over the last year as any other gaming rig I have (especially at parties - with 4 controllers!!!).

There are some TRULY AMAZING titles on the little box that are very much worth your time!

Happy to post recommendations of the best 20 or so if requested.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (289.9 KiB) Viewed 5078 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (253.54 KiB) Viewed 5078 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (276.54 KiB) Viewed 5078 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (300.8 KiB) Viewed 5078 times
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Ouya WILL Survive the End of its Online Mode...

Post by Reprise »

Is the Ouya's demise official? I mean, I know the writing is on the wall, but I was just wondering if there has been an announcement. That could make selling my Ouya harder.

I agree, it has some great games and it's very nice, with it being Android based.

That said, I was interested in selling mine. I tried selling it to CEX (UK DVD and Games shop), but it "failed" their tests. They claimed the power lead didn't work properly (it does, I tested it before I took it in. It's just a little loose as it's not the official lead, since I'm from the UK and the original models were sent with US leads) and the controller wouldn't sync (haven't tested this in ages, since I always use the PS3 controller). Regardless, I have two Ouya controllers. I doubt both don't work.

If anyone's interested in buying my Ouya, let me know? I'd retest it. Otherwise I'm just going to take it to a charity shop.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
artphotodude

Post by artphotodude »

Reprise wrote:Is the Ouya's demise official? I mean, I know the writing is on the wall, but I was just wondering if there has been an announcement. That could make selling my Ouya harder.

I agree, it has some great games and it's very nice, with it being Android based.

That said, I was interested in selling mine. I tried selling it to CEX (UK DVD and Games shop), but it "failed" their tests. They claimed the power lead didn't work properly (it does, I tested it before I took it in. It's just a little loose as it's not the official lead, since I'm from the UK and the original models were sent with US leads) and the controller wouldn't sync (haven't tested this in ages, since I always use the PS3 controller). Regardless, I have two Ouya controllers. I doubt both don't work.

If anyone's interested in buying my Ouya, let me know? I'd retest it. Otherwise I'm just going to take it to a charity shop.

Sadly Razor bought them out and will only be supporting for another 10 months or so. You should just sell it on eBay - Will probably get the best price for it anyway. JUST MAKE SURE TO REMOVE ANY CREDIT CARD NUMBERS FROM YOUR PROFILE!!!!! The 'Factory Defaults' setting in advanced should do it nicely.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

artphotodude wrote:
Reprise wrote:Is the Ouya's demise official? I mean, I know the writing is on the wall, but I was just wondering if there has been an announcement. That could make selling my Ouya harder.

Sadly Razor bought them out and will only be supporting for another 10 months or so. You should just sell it on eBay - Will probably get the best price for it anyway. JUST MAKE SURE TO REMOVE ANY CREDIT CARD NUMBERS FROM YOUR PROFILE!!!!! The 'Factory Defaults' setting in advanced should do it nicely.

Why'd they buy them out only to shut them down?

Yeah, regarding credit card info, I did that before I tried selling it to CEX. It turns out, that unless I'm mistaken(?), it's actually impossible to remove your credit card information from your profile! I just factory reset the console to remove my linked card.

I'd sell it on Ebay, but it seems like too much effort... (I'm lazy, never sold anything on Ebay before). Maybe I'll try and sell it locally first.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
artphotodude

Post by artphotodude »

Reprise wrote:
artphotodude wrote:

Why'd they buy them out only to shut them down?

Yeah, regarding credit card info, I did that before I tried selling it to CEX. It turns out, that unless I'm mistaken(?), it's actually impossible to remove your credit card information from your profile! I just factory reset the console to remove my linked card.

I'd sell it on Ebay, but it seems like too much effort... (I'm lazy, never sold anything on Ebay before). Maybe I'll try and sell it locally first.

Razor is buying out their games catalog to put on their own upcoming set-top android console.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

So I should just grab a used one and an extra controller on ebay and give it to my nephew for Christmas?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Only thing I bought on it was Nostalgia frontend for emulators. Well worth the 2 bucks I think it cost me. I bet that's pulling from nostalgia servers, but I should probably load it up and get all the box art downloaded before they pull the plug anyway

Reprise, I'd be interested in picking up the spare controller you have if shipping it to the states doesn't make it silly expensive. I for one don't mind their controllers and I only have one, but don't want to pay the eBay prices for a second.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
artphotodude

Post by artphotodude »

Anapan wrote:So I should just grab a used one and an extra controller on ebay and give it to my nephew for Christmas?

Well if you want to give your nephew access to better games than you are likely playing! ;0)

P.S. I think they probably still have controllers on ouya.tv

Here is one on ebay with extra controller - http://www.ebay.com/itm/OUYA-Android-Mi ... 1791334897
bretthorror
8-bit

Post by bretthorror »

When I bought my Ouya, it came with free cards to use in the store and I bought multiples, so I have like $35 left to use up. I guess I better spend it before the store goes away.

Anyone have any suggestions? I like platformers and FPS, I suppose. Also wouldn't mind something wacky. Open to any suggestions, some of those pictures of games in the first post look good, though I'm not sure which games they're from.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I love my Ouya (I got one of the ones signed by Levar Burton with the Reading Rainbow Kickstarter), but I don't use it much. I'd really appreciate that recommendation list you mentioned. =)
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.