Save state add-on for SNES (in development)

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Ziggy

Save state add-on for SNES (in development)

Post by Ziggy »

I just came across this and thought it was awesome.

SNES-Tap

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/save-s ... tendo.html

It's currently in development. It's an add-on for the SNES that gives you save states! It plugs into the expansion port on the bottom of the console. I would assume that the finished product would be a unit that the SNES sits on top of. How cool is that?

Now I know a lot of people will argue "save states are cheating!" and they would be right. But then there's people (myself included) that would love to use save states for games that don't have passwords or save features. Or even to avoid having to input passwords. If the price isn't ridiculous, I will definitely purchase one if this project makes it to production.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Save state add-on for SNES (in development)

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Cool stuff!

I'll just continue to use the Retron 5 though.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ziggy587 wrote:I just came across this and thought it was awesome.

SNES-Tap

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/save-s ... tendo.html

It's currently in development. It's an add-on for the SNES that gives you save states! It plugs into the expansion port on the bottom of the console. I would assume that the finished product would be a unit that the SNES sits on top of. How cool is that?

Now I know a lot of people will argue "save states are cheating!" and they would be right. But then there's people (myself included) that would love to use save states for games that don't have passwords or save features. Or even to avoid having to input passwords. If the price isn't ridiculous, I will definitely purchase one if this project makes it to production.

You will play through Super Star Wars in a single run and you will LIKE IT!
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

MrPopo wrote:You will play through Super Star Wars in a single run and you will LIKE IT!

I beat Super Star Wars on a rental back in the day. I left my SNES on for like 2 or 3 days. Maybe that's why my original SNES has problems now?

Some years later, I tried using that Game Saver thing but it worked like shit so I got rid of it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I have that Game Saver - but I purchased it solely to use as a pass-through for imports.

It's complete ass.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I have that Game Saver - but I purchased it solely to use as a pass-through for imports.

It's complete ass.

Of course, breaking the tabs off in the cart slot is a much better option. But if you don't want to for whatever reason, a Game Genie works well.

You still have to break off tabs, but at least the Game Genie doesn't suck like the Game Saver thing.
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

Incredible!
Please update this thread when any news surfaces. I'd like one if indeed it isn't too expensive. If only to have used that expansion port.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

d123456 wrote:If only to have used that expansion port.

I know, right?!

d123456 wrote:Please update this thread when any news surfaces.

I'm hoping someone else will. :lol:

This was posted on the Nesdev forums, which I try to take a peek at often. If the thread there is updated, I'll update this one.