RetroFreak (11 consoles in 1)

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
R9delta
8-bit

Re: RetroFreak (11 consoles in 1)

Post by R9delta »

brockmoreno wrote:I got one of these coming through the post. Any one have any tips for use? Like I was considering buying a bunch of SFC games to play and using translation patches to play in English. Has anyone accomplished this?

Yeah it's easily accomplished. I've been converting and fixing up patches for the Retron 5 for that purpose for about a year and a half that work identically on the Retro Freak (bought one to replace my old Retron 5 and it's been tested). If you need the link where I share them you can find them here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/b5kjab ... r_Retron_5
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

brockmoreno wrote:I got one of these coming through the post. Any one have any tips for use? Like I was considering buying a bunch of SFC games to play and using translation patches to play in English. Has anyone accomplished this?

The utility used to Patch games is here:
http://www.zophar.net/utilities/patchutil/samips-2.html

By the way, we would love to hear your first hand impressions of using the gamefreak console after you've had a chance to play it.
brockmoreno
8-bit

Post by brockmoreno »

Thanks guys. I am still waiting for it from Japan. It looks like it will get here sometime this week. I plan on trying Chrono Tigger SFC with a patch as soon as I get it. I will let everyone one how it works. I also bought a translated ver. of Mother 3. I am not sure if it will play in the system though.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

tips?? hmm...
1. upgrade to latest FW. the tweaks there are much needed.
2. stick to normal graphics. all the filters are just terrible.
3. do not fill up your SD card with "everything". it makes startup too long.
4. you can use retron5 cheat db files. just rename them
5. have FDS bios to use FDS games.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

if anyone's interested theres a new FW update. seems the upgrade method is back to the old way unlike the previous big one which was basically drag and drop. the changes are very minor so ill probably leave it be for awhile
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Got one coming in Tuesday from Amazon. A repackaged unit popped up in their warehouse deals for $160 shipped after taxes and I hopped on it :P.

Now I'm set to pick up the gamegear adapter when it comes out in July so I can finally play the small pile of games I've been accumulating.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Does the Freak work with any HID device? Specifically I am looking at the ZD/Zero Delay Encoders for arcade sticks.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Okay so I got my retrofreak in today and it was surprisingly brand new with everything sealed. However... It's not loading properly. I start the system get to the retro freak screen and it just sits there the logo is still animated so the screen isn't frozen but it's just not launching the setup menu :P.

So am I essentially boned or is there a way to update the firmware without getting into the system?
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

havent seen or heard anything like that, was there anything connected like the controller adapter or SD card? tried removing them ? how about also removing the cart adapter as well turning on just the "brain"
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

fastbilly1 wrote:Does the Freak work with any HID device? Specifically I am looking at the ZD/Zero Delay Encoders for arcade sticks.

im not sure with zero delay encoders. but it definitely does NOT work with any device (example xbox stuff wont respond) my qanba q4 3in1 works, using playstation to USB adapter works (hence my ps1, ps2 pads and sticks works). but my 360 MLG gamepad does not.