RetroFreak (11 consoles in 1)

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
arcadifvid
32-bit

Re: RetroFreak (11 consoles in 1)

Post by arcadifvid »

now i regret not buying this when i saw it in stores in Japan.

3 additional models the corresponding model

Retro freak gear converter (sold separately / February 2016 will be released) is a converter for connecting the cartridge, such as game gear in the MD slot of retro freak. By using this, it will be available for corresponding newly following three models retro freak.

Game Gear
Sega Mark III
(cartridge / My card Mark III)
SG-1000
(cartridge / Othello multi vision for cartridge / My card)
※ In order to use this product, you must have the update of retro freak, which is performed on sale the same period.
※ The retro freak update requires a separate microSD.

Retro freak gear converter

(2015.11.06)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Game Gear!!! SG-1000!!!

I may get one of these if the Retron 5 Game Gear attachment never pans out. Haven't heard much about that lately.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

This is only interesting to me if it can translation patch the games like the Retron can.

Also, if it's actually any good. Are there reviews out for it yet?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah I'm thinking that if I can patch PCE games I will buy this. Otherwise, there's simply too much overlap with the Retron 5.

Sold out on Play-Asia right now. Not that I can afford one at this moment anyway.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

Finally took the plunge and got this.

random thoughts:

- most of my carts are detected as unknown game and had to re insert a few times before its detected correctly.

- the install feature is really cool. i ended up putting the big cartridge adapter back in its box. leaving a small console beside the tv.

- the controller is alright. dpad is very responsive. but i generally still didnt like the feel of it. the plastic feels cheap (but not as terrible as other famiclones). what is the "option" button for??

- im using my Qanba Q4 joystick most of the time anyway. so i even regret buying the retro controller adapter. i never used it despite having controllers for all supported systems.

- omg is there a search feature on this? when you have a number of games installed, scrolling through them can be a chore. there's not even a "next page" button

- this is the first time ive seen nes games through hdmi. ugh now i probably cant go back to even the original console.and the scanlines are cool.

- i noticed there's a profile on the controller settings for "Playstation" does Dualshock 4 work with this? obviously needs usb adapter, but anything else? plug and play? anyone tried?

- didnt experience a death grip. and once installed, you really wouldnt anyway.

- so great console. hdmi, usb, install, features... some things has to be modernized i guess. couldnt say this is for everyone though. if youre choosing between this, retron5, modded wii, or getting all the consoles (and all the cables, and all the modifications and a framemeister), id still say get all the original ones. but for simplicity's sake, i recommend the retrofreak.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Thanks for posting your impressions, arc.
J_Wil
32-bit

Post by J_Wil »

I didn't notice anyone mention that you don't need any carts to use this system. You can load up your entire libraries on an SD card and just play those as you would an emulator on your PC.

You CAN load Master System, Game Gear, and NES ROMs on the SD card and play them right out of the box without a software update, though cartridge support is not available at this time (except for using an NES to Famicom adapter for NES).

It's a pretty versatile system. I didn't like it too much at first but it's growing on me.

Cons:
- Scrolling through tons of ROMs is annoying
- The system sometimes turns itself off randomly (only seems to happen from the main menu, not while playing games)
- Having a lot of ROMs on the SD card (17+ Gigs) creates a long wait time for the SD card to load (5-10 mins on average)
"Oh great, another box of useless sh*t."

Main Collection: http://connect.collectorz.com/users/ynjmwil/games?viewCollection=in-collection - Not looking to move anything on this list but would entertain offers.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

yeah i tried that out the sd card thing... i went from 23+GB down to 6GB and im still pruning ... lots of crap i'll never bother with anyway.. and mostly GBAs are the one sthat fill up a sd card.

this is weirdly the first time i regret buying a 32GB sd instead of 4GB :lol:

anyway i read the latest FW has a page up/down already, and supposedly fixes the overheating issue some people experience.
not going to try that out yet though. maybe when confirmed that it really works fine and wont brick or something
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

I will be buying this if they get the Game Gear adapter. This or the adapter for the Retron, who ever gets one in my hand first!
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
brockmoreno
8-bit

Post by brockmoreno »

I got one of these coming through the post. Any one have any tips for use? Like I was considering buying a bunch of SFC games to play and using translation patches to play in English. Has anyone accomplished this?