RetroFreak (11 consoles in 1)

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: RetroFreak (11 consoles in 1)

Post by Fragems »

arcadifvid wrote:havent seen or heard anything like that, was there anything connected like the controller adapter or SD card? tried removing them ? how about also removing the cart adapter as well turning on just the "brain"

Basically it just came on and would hang on the title screen. Tried a few different things but no dice :P. Tried it attached to the Cartridge adapter and then console only with no luck. Same goes for controller plugged into outer shell then directly to console. Tried turning it on and off a few times. Let it sit for an hour while I did other stuff and etc. Made sure the USB ports were getting power by plugging in my 360 controller which lit up properly. Didn't have a micro SD card that I felt like reformatting to pop in and out of the slot but I doubt that would have had an effect if only the firmware updates didn't require a request file to be generated within the menus :P. Anyways it was through Amazon and was a trade in so even though it looked brand new with everything still seemingly sealed it could have just been a botched firmware update from a previous user and/or a faulty unit with corrupted internal memory.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

looks like theyre coming up with their own NES adapter. i wonder if i could use that for my AV Famicom. it looks nice.

also black color variant of the console... 8)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Just purchased one of these from Play-Asia, along with the SG-1000/Mark III/GG adapter. Super stoked. Should be interesting to see how this compares to the Retron 5.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

:P

"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@TH, what is the matching device over to the left? Looks like a separate controller bay? I know very little about this product but my interest has grown.

With this guy, can't you boot games directly from a SD card?

What about save states?

Seems like a cool mix of a Retron 5 for carts and a flash cart/emu box for ROMS.

@Bonez, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

If I remember the system itself has this one spot on it I think in the back, and in that you can place one add-on dock to it, but after that you get into tethered goods. The system has so-so controllers but you can buy an adapter to use real game pads. In this picture it appears the dock is tethered and off to the side. I never dug largely into it as I was using the R5 a lot at the time, and was not amused by the lack of a NES cartridge slot on it while having TG16 (which is nice) that I have no use for as the hucards are expensive.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

If I can ever get out of debt (I'm starting to sound like REPO and NYC with that one :P ) and find one of these affordably, I'm totally getting one.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Three main reasons I'm getting this:

1. To play Game Gear games on a television
2. To consolidate TG-16 and PC Engine into one system
3. To finally get into the SG-1000 scene

If this is as good as the R5, then I'll likely be putting my TG-16 away into storage, which is what I ended up doing with my NES, SNES, and Genesis.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@Bonez, I've really enjoyed playing GG ROMS on TV through emu so popping in an actual cart would be legit too. Mark III & PCE adds a nice advantage.

I do like the option that you can use it as an emu box as well, not a work around with patching

Found this post over at Retro5. Pretty good info:
-It supports US cartridges for all systems it supports out of the box with the exception of Famicom/Nintendo, which require a cheap Famicom->Nintendo pin adapter to do so. If you don't want to spend the money on one you can still play NES games by throwing roms on a MicroSD card which brings me to my next point....

-It supports Roms. Not through hacking, not through exploiting the patch system like on the Retron 5...but directly and out of the box without having to do anything special. You can back up your own cartridges or you can just throw a ton of them on a MicroSD card from the internet. It doesn't care.

-I wouldn't make the mistake of thinking you speak for everyone when claiming you have no interest in PC Engine/TG16 games. You don't want to play them? Then don't. You don't want to spend the money on TG 16 and PC Engine HuCards? Then don't. You can just download roms of them and play them that way if that's what you want.

-Stock controller is not a complete heap of shit like the R5 and it has support for practically every USB controller out there. Even generic USB adapters to use original controllers if that's a must for you.

-The Retro Freak supports English. In fact it asks you what language you would prefer on boot-up.

Now is the Retro Freak superior in every way? No not necessarily. It doesn't take wireless controllers like the Retron 5 (So the Retron 5 controller and NES30 in wireless mode are out). You'll need to purchase the official adapter (which is overpriced) or some generic ones if you want support for the original controllers. The Retro Freak's cheat database is actually even WORSE than the Retron 5's...which is why i'm thankful you can use the Retron 5's database for it instead.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

lol I was just reading the same thread!

Another awesome perk: Famicom Disk System games. No, the system won't play the actual disks but will boot the disk images off a SD card.