Gamestop to begin taking credit/selling retro consoles/games

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Gamestop to begin taking credit/selling retro consoles/g

Post by Gunstar Green »

CRTGAMER wrote:
TEKTORO wrote:Digital has done a lot to businesses like these such as movies and music.

I'm just saying this is truly the last chance before game over.

You are not kidding. For the last few years there have been digital copies included with BluRay and DVD movies. Now studios are selling ONLY digital copies and holding back on the disc versions as a tease on getting the supplemental features later on.

This has been done before with re-released special editions. However, by first selling only a hard drive clogging download, that is just plain greedy! Sadly the masses will buy this silly approach thiunking they "own" the movie and will discover later the cardboard will be the only thing that will last. :?

Stores selling "physical" codes for digital releases is really puzzling to me. Do they actually sell? If so, why? And I mean at full price, I can obviously understand if someone found them on sale or something.

Seems like an enormous waste of resources.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

people probably buy them as gifts or stocking stuffers. Hell Gamestop sells download codes for DLC and XBLA and PSN games
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Some are also skittish of having their cc info online or using a service like paypal. So physical codes allows them to use digital services and not pay online.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

ninjainspandex wrote:people probably buy them as gifts or stocking stuffers. Hell Gamestop sells download codes for DLC and XBLA and PSN games

I think I would prefer a physical lump of coal.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Jmustang1968 wrote:Some are also skittish of having their cc info online or using a service like paypal. So physical codes allows them to use digital services and not pay online.

Ah, I guess I can see that.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Gunstar Green wrote:
TEKTORO wrote:Digital has done a lot to businesses like these such as movies and music. Before brick and mortar falls off looks like best course to try online only with retro games as so many people, have been successful with this market.

It will try to make them still revelant in that aspect (going online) but I'm still saying its a little to late. Supply being the huge problem, they are relying on trade ins big time.

im just saying this is truly the last chance before game over.

If they've done any amount of research, and of course they have, they would know this isn't going to generate enormous numbers for them and they're doing the right thing taking it slow with two pilot areas for trade-ins to see if they actually get anything. I'm still under the opinion that it's going to be underwhelming and they're going to drop this all together but we'll see.

I do agree they're looking for ways to diversify in the increasingly digital age but this seems more like a side project than a Hail Mary.

Nah their shitting their pants. The battle is between profits if they didn't gut their only copies of new games so people won't buy them then maybe publishers wouldnt be so pissed off they are losing money. The only time you get a new sealed game from GameStop is if you pre order, and they push pre orders so hard because if they don't then publishers don't really need them.

If you don't pre order from them they can't make a profit off the resale or up sell you anything while in stores. Idk it gets deep and I don't have the answers to it all but I'm keen and aware to see where this is going.

I don't hate GameStop and happy to get the deals they do have but its not the same company anymore and being literally the only gaming super store it has damaged the industry because if there was competition then then they would compete for the best of the consumer. But since there's not (they bought out EB) they think they can do whatever they want and we have no choice (but we do).

I mean they go as far as even hiring people that physically appear as gamers and prey on those parents that's kids are in there crying to buy that over priced used game cause it's a couple of dollars cheaper.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

so just curious. how's this working out so far? anyone got great finds ?
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Don't think they have started selling them yet as far as I know still just buying them up. If they have started selling they haven't don't a very good job publicizing it.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Fragems wrote:Don't think they have started selling them yet as far as I know still just buying them up. If they have started selling they haven't don't a very good job publicizing it.

I saw an interview where a rep said they were going to start selling them here (NYC, but also Birmingham) weeks ago, but I've checked, and no stores are yet.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Talked to the guys in my local GS (Augusta, ME). They said it'll be "mostly online only" and that I should never expect to see retro stuff in any Maine GameStops.