Gamestop to begin taking credit/selling retro consoles/games

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Gamestop to begin taking credit/selling retro consoles/g

Post by Tanooki »

Don't under estimate any Nintendo handheld game. GB/C was insanely huge and GBA was right there behind. Plenty of excellent stuff most the classic game buying snobs overlook for the console stuff which has helped keep a lot of it cheap. They take up little space which would be a plus to the corporate types too and being cheap they'd be easy enough to roll through them too. DS wasn't listed either and it had crazy system sales.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

I bet you they have tons of PS2 games stored, why else would they want to buy any PS2 systems back. I agree with the GB/C games well anything Nintendo will have huge supply and demands so maybe they will roll that out too if things go as they plan with the launch test.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Teh Lurv
24-bit

Post by Teh Lurv »

TEKTORO wrote:I bet you they have tons of PS2 games stored, why else would they want to buy any PS2 systems back. I agree with the GB/C games well anything Nintendo will have huge supply and demands so maybe they will roll that out too if things go as they plan with the launch test.

I've heard that Gamestop is planning on selling the consoles in bulk to exporters. PS2 has a strong demand on the secondary market in Central/South America.

A Gamestop employee reported on this Reddit thread on doing his first retro trade-in yesterday: http://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/commen ... es/cqoltal

$58 for Donkey Kong Classic, Double Dragon, Excitebike, Super Mario Bros 2 (2 copies).
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Ehh it sounds interesting but I don't know if I'd be willing to attempt it(even if I do have those ps2, and other games I've been trying to get rid of forever that would nice guinea pigs if my stores offered it). But I don't know how far I'd be willing to throw the line and how far we can trust this like it's already probably been mentioned. Though to be honest if they ever do sales and everything like they do for modern stuff now on the old stuff I might think about it...maybe

Bad part about it is, if they really do start carrying all the stuff even stuff they just dropped like psp, and have a somewhat decent selection I may be tempted to go to them instead of the local retro store...especially since sadly gamestop is a lot closer(I think roundtrip the retro store I visit every once in awhile is close to 30 miles away round trip vs maybe 5...)
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Teh Lurv wrote:
$58 for Donkey Kong Classic, Double Dragon, Excitebike, Super Mario Bros 2 (2 copies).

That's...actually not as bad as I would have thought. I did laugh at the reddit guy for completely missing Zelda in their system.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Still reading all 8 pages but...

Some time ago they had common NES carts (Mario, etc) as reward points and it was A LOT of points. Now, the whole rewards points model is a rip out, trade in 50 games, get a poster... but worth noting they were proud of those carts.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

CRTGAMER wrote:All disc based retro games and all DVD/BluRay movies are stored in resealable plastic envelopes. Sooo many games in pristine condition! This store is very successful, hopefully will expand further in the US

This is torture every time I see it, you guys that live near one of the better sounding retro stores(compared to what I have that's in a decent driving distance :| ). I'd really hope they expand and put one in the matthews area over here in NC :roll: I'm tired of drooling looking at pics of that :lol:
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

A YouTube user I subscribe to breaks down some of the trade-in credit and other information for this right here.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

ExedExes wrote:A YouTube user I subscribe to breaks down some of the trade-in credit and other information for this right here.

I was waiting for someone to finally report on this. Thanks.

According to this video:

Console value in store credit:

$35 SNES and NES
$30 N64
$30 Dreamcast
$20 Genesis

That's pretty competitive with most mom and pop stores and other resellers.

As for game values if the video is correct they're using eBay sold prices as a basis with 50-60% of the value in store credit for trade-ins.

I've heard this part from other sources as well:

They're not paying more for CIB nor are they going to sell for more or list on the website if you're going to get a box or manual. So you're basically playing the lottery as far as the condition of the game goes. On the bright side this should set aside anyone's fears that they're just going to destroy boxes.

The two big concerns I have are still counterfeits and lack of testing. I feel like they're going to be taking in a lot of repros and broken consoles.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

That would be interesting how long that would stand if people started churning out a few hundred dollar nes/snes games as convincing repros. It's not like they'll have a game bit at every store to check into that junk and they can't really blame the seller as they could just feign ignorance.

Seems they're paying pretty well for the stuff too which seems different from their usual modern system MO so that's good.