Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Gamestop to begin taking credit/selling retro consoles/g

by CRTGAMER Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:31 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:I just hope Gamestop doesn't willy nilly throw away boxes and manuals for retro games as they do for modern ones.
If they do, we're raising hell. I'm not just running my mouth. If they do that, I'll help to organize something that'll get them to stop. Just the very THOUGHT of it has already got me outraged!

Oh boy, Gamestop will only offer online orders for the Retro Games. Take a wild guess what the cart will look like.
Attachments
Gamestop SNES Generic Case.jpg
Gamestop SNES Generic Case.jpg (36.69 KiB) Viewed 329 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:34 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:Take a wild guess what the cart will look like.

This should be a contest.
Ack

by Ack Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:35 pm

That Pocky & Rocky is probably still worth $40.00 on eBay.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:44 pm

Luke wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Take a wild guess what the cart will look like.
This should be a contest.

Forgot to add a few more stickers including second Bar Code, Refurbish and a round sticker covering the cart slot to show if game was used by customer.

Ack wrote:That Pocky & Rocky is probably still worth $40.00 on eBay.

Yeah a poor choice for a Title of the tease, as in Metroid Trilogy Gamestop will jack up the price to Ebay listings. They do offer good prices for many games, but notable titles are way too high and then there is the non CIB and collage of stickers.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

irixith
Next-Gen

by irixith Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:50 pm

What exactly is the end game here? Does GS think this will be a massive boost to their bottom line sales? There's only a limited supply of this stuff out there, minus what's been broken, dumped, modded, painted, shells & PCB's gutted for repros, clocks, USB drives...I just don't get it. Are they dreaming about shelves full of $100 NES systems that they can steal from clueless customers on trade-in gimmicks and store credit? There's already not enough space on the shelves for current-gen stuff, and the secondary market has been motoring along just fine without them.

Bet you they won't publish the pennies on the dollar prices they expect to pay for this stuff.
Ack

by Ack Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:54 pm

irixith wrote:What exactly is the end game here? Does GS think this will be a massive boost to their bottom line sales? There's only a limited supply of this stuff out there, minus what's been broken, dumped, modded, painted, shells & PCB's gutted for repros, clocks, USB drives...I just don't get it. Are they dreaming about shelves full of $100 NES systems that they can steal from clueless customers on trade-in gimmicks and store credit? There's already not enough space on the shelves for current-gen stuff, and the secondary market has been motoring along just fine without them.

Bet you they won't publish the pennies on the dollar prices they expect to pay for this stuff.

Of course not, but they are hoping it will make a profit. Gamestop is looking at a future where brick and mortar stores continue to lose relevance in the marketplace as games go digital or buyers move to online stores to make their purchases. So they're seeking out new revenue streams. A $5 revenue stream may not seem like much money, but if it helps the bottom line, it helps the bottom line.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
irixith
Next-Gen

by irixith Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Ack wrote:
irixith wrote:What exactly is the end game here? Does GS think this will be a massive boost to their bottom line sales? There's only a limited supply of this stuff out there, minus what's been broken, dumped, modded, painted, shells & PCB's gutted for repros, clocks, USB drives...I just don't get it. Are they dreaming about shelves full of $100 NES systems that they can steal from clueless customers on trade-in gimmicks and store credit? There's already not enough space on the shelves for current-gen stuff, and the secondary market has been motoring along just fine without them.

Of course not, but they are hoping it will make a profit. Gamestop is looking at a future where brick and mortar stores continue to lose relevance in the marketplace as games go digital or buyers move to online stores to make their purchases. So they're seeking out new revenue streams. A $5 revenue stream may not seem like much money, but if it helps the bottom line, it helps the bottom line.

That's fair...obviously they expect some sort of profit out of this. What's going to suffer in-store to provide room for this stuff though? It's already difficult to find Wii U/3DS/Vita/PS3 stuff (and not just at GS)...I guess I'll wait and see how it all washes out. I'm not really a GS customer (online or in-store) because I believe in voting with your wallet when you don't want to support something...but....

There's a part of me that thinks about the future of the hobby, and how this move will impact things. We know they do ridiculous things like turfing boxes and manuals (again, there needs to be room in-store to store/display this stuff), ruining labels...but aside from that, how is the diverting of stock from the existing secondary market going to play? GS has the financial oomph with their trade-ins and store credit to attract a certain amount of this stuff fairly easily. Oomph that stores that generally trade in this stuff don't necessarily have. Will it affect them? Will the way GS treats this kind of stock have long-term effects on market pricing? Attracting more people into the hobby will certainly have an effect on availability. Oh so many questions...
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:06 pm

I highly doubt that this stuff is going up in-store. Online maybe. Or sent off to wherever, never to be heard from again, like those PS2s they started taking in again.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:07 pm

irixith wrote:What exactly is the end game here?

Profit by supply and demand. Said this earlier.

They'll be looking at high value vs. low risk games that already have high demand and low supply. It's a testing phase to see if they can amount a profit with little risk, and if they do, it will expand. But this will be a small project to start with.

Mostly internet sales too. I don't see most of this, if any of it being in stores as it serves as a location provider.
arcadifvid
32-bit

by arcadifvid Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:20 am

include the NES, Super NES, SEGA Genesis, PlayStation, N64, and SEGA Dreamcast

why is Saturn always overlooked. the Turbo and Neo i would somehow understand. but the saturn ?
Return to Old-School Gaming News