Gamestop to begin taking credit/selling retro consoles/games

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: Gamestop to begin taking credit/selling retro consoles/g

Post by Jmustang1968 »

I dont see it as a bad or good thing. They will use ebay market prices just like everyone else does, and their mark-up wont be as high probably. The interesting thing will be that they will probably price carts and disc only same price as cib
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Overall this could lead to further increased prices in the retro gaming market, if Gamestop buys up a lot of retro stock and holds on to it for a strong profit angle. They do have the presence required to corner a market such as this.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

If anything I think it will start to normalize the market. Instead of just ebay as the go to pricing point, GS would also be a factor. They typically price their stuff below ebay or right at it. It will give a buyer an alternative option and temper some of the more volatile ebay pricing. GS doesn't like to hold on to product, they want to move it.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

It will certainly be interesting to see how this affects the retro market overall.

I just hope Gamestop doesn't willy nilly throw away boxes and manuals for retro games as they do for modern ones.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Exhuminator wrote:Gamestop is hoping to undercut ignorant consumers by offering them peanuts for their "old games" and then making a massive markup profit on reselling via online markets. (They will sell the less valuable games in store.) Capitalism 101.

And? The brick and mortar shops thanks in part due to some national chains and clearly ebay and amazon scalpers have been cutting people far deeper who don't know less taking a page from the original book of Gamestop. If anything you have the circle of life here. :D

Personally GOOD. I'm glad they're doing it. It means more ways to find stuff, more ways to pay a lot for it if you're fine with that and if you're not, then it shouldn't matter one damn bit unless you scalp games for a living too because now you have a huge gorilla in the room competing with you for limited supplies. It should probably drive some more stuff out of hiding and into the market. Perhaps gamestop will work as a break to the higher end of stuff forcing others to drop their prices to compete with the retail giant. I don't really see a loser in this at all, other than if they return to their 'let us all trash the manuals and boxes' mentality as no one wins there.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Eh, maybe it will bring SNES games down to 2012 values. I'd pay $50 for Pocky & Rocky.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

My only concern is the logistics of what they're doing and what refurbishment entails. It could be a good thing. Right now I'm skeptical but not about them doing it right but about them doing it at all, at least in a way where there's enough profit justify bothering.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

But will they stock Pico games? This is my concern.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Will I be able to buy a refurbished Bally Astrocade at my local Gamestop? If not Gamestop is the devil and they hate gamers and they want to kill us all.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:But will they stock Pico games? This is my concern.

Yeah. I didn't see any Atari systems on Gamestop's list...and I want another place to buy $1 2600 carts.

EDIT: I also do not see the Gamecube, PS2, or original Xbox on Gamestop's list...I guess they don't care about that generation.

Also...Arcadia 2001 or GTFO.