Gamestop to begin taking credit/selling retro consoles/games

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Gamestop to begin taking credit/selling retro consoles/g

Post by Gunstar Green »

This is why I'm really glad they're not offering more for complete copies which means people won't try to flood the market with reproduction boxes and manuals because there's no incentive to.

Games will probably get caught before distribution but really convincing boxes may have made it through.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

[quote="Gunstar Green"]They're not paying more for CIB nor are they going to sell for more or list on the website if you're going to get a box or manual. So you're basically playing the lottery as far as the condition of the game goes. On the bright side this should set aside anyone's fears that they're just going to destroy boxes./quote]

That's the only issue I have with it if i'm going to even buy any from them online. I kinda wish they had some way to put on the site what condition you prefer(I know it'd be more work for them but that much effort would be nice on their part)
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Gunstar Green wrote:This is why I'm really glad they're not offering more for complete copies which means people won't try to flood the market with reproduction boxes and manuals because there's no incentive to.

On the bright side this should set aside anyone's fears that they're just going to destroy boxes.

The boxes will be tossed, the carts repackaged in a shiny new exclusive Gamestop box.

Concerning one price fits all conditions tradein policy, a double edged sword. Gamestop contributes to the already lazy U.S. consumer trading in disc only. If more is offered for complete games, maybe would not be as many generic cases on the shelf. Even then, too many lazy bastards don't care and would bring in disc only. That is between the cycles of Gamestop themselves throwing away cases and manuals. Heck, if Gamestop did offer more up front for CIB tradeins, maybe they never would have tossed out cases all these years!

I can see some might go to the trouble for a reproduction box for better tradein, but overall it will be a dusty console and game carts piled in a storage box. Looking over the trade in prices, seems to be more comparative buyback value vs games of recent years. I can see Gamestop over valuing the retro consoles and games and charging prices higher then Ebay. This in turn will raise awareness and kill finding treasures at Thrift Stores and Swap Meets. :?

darsparx wrote:That's the only issue I have with it if i'm going to even buy any from them online. I kinda wish they had some way to put on the site what condition you prefer(I know it'd be more work for them but that much effort would be nice on their part)

The reason why I NEVER reserve online for a game thru Gamestop. Having the store telephone another location before shipping (which is free between stores) confirms if CIB or not.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

CRTGAMER wrote:A double edged sword. Gamestop contributed to the already lazy U.S. consumer trading in disc only. If more is offered for complete games, maybe would not be as many generic cases on the shelf. That is between the cycles of Gamestop themselves throwing away cases and manuals. Heck, if Gamestop did offer more up front for CIB tradeins, maybe they never would have tossed out cases all these years!

Much as I don't like it either, it probably works better for their customer base to do it that way. People who don't keep the case probably don't care about it when buying a game either. In turn, if complete copies cost more, they might try to get the store to sell them just the disc for less.

Offering decent money for retro stuff might turn out to be good. It'd be hard to call something rare and valuable if you can see it on the shelf at every other Gamestop, and it'll give sellers a consistent source to undercut.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

That's my feeling on it, however they end up pricing stuff, depending how it goes they'll cut into the scalping liars online calling all sorts of non-rare stuff rare to scoop more money out of a chumps pocket. In that case everyone but the scalper wins on that one.

I think the worry about stuff being harder to find at a flea market though is comical. That ship saled in most areas of the country some years ago. Once people started taking internet phone to check stuff as a seller (or a buyer making the seller suspicious), with more videos online popping up commonly on youtube showing all those 'finds' and how much they got in value not selling the seller, and other factors that all played into stuff going straight to hell.

Anything that could put a wrinkle in that behavior, even minor is a good thing and even if it has to be Gamestop that does it, so what? I don't have much of a dog in this one any more as I got fed up and sold my most expensive shit to buy PinBot but for those still trying I pity you.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

People who sell junk at flea markets are still going to sell junk at flea markets.

You can find loads of current and last gen games at flea markets even though GameStop takes those. The trade in values are going to be roughly 50%, the cash values are probably going to be much lower. There's not much of an incentive to trade in to GameStop or really any resale store if what you want is cash unless you need it quickly.

In that case there's always been independent stores and pawn shops so GameStop getting into the game doesn't really change anything.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

They're planning to resale online only, correct? Can't see them taking up any space in brick & mortars unless theres a small case for games $50+. This would also serve as an advertisement that they're taking in retro... but doubt they're that smart.

It's hit or miss with their cases & manuals. I found Resident Evil CVX on GCN CIB before they stopped selling them priced the same as disc only in the store one town over. It can of course work to your advantage if you not rolling the dice online & get to see the products.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Digital has done a lot to businesses like these such as movies and music. Before brick and mortar falls off looks like best course to try online only with retro games as so many people, have been successful with this market.

It will try to make them still revelant in that aspect (going online) but I'm still saying its a little to late. Supply being the huge problem, they are relying on trade ins big time.

im just saying this is truly the last chance before game over.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

TEKTORO wrote:Digital has done a lot to businesses like these such as movies and music. Before brick and mortar falls off looks like best course to try online only with retro games as so many people, have been successful with this market.

It will try to make them still revelant in that aspect (going online) but I'm still saying its a little to late. Supply being the huge problem, they are relying on trade ins big time.

im just saying this is truly the last chance before game over.

If they've done any amount of research, and of course they have, they would know this isn't going to generate enormous numbers for them and they're doing the right thing taking it slow with two pilot areas for trade-ins to see if they actually get anything. I'm still under the opinion that it's going to be underwhelming and they're going to drop this all together but we'll see.

I do agree they're looking for ways to diversify in the increasingly digital age but this seems more like a side project than a Hail Mary.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

TEKTORO wrote:Digital has done a lot to businesses like these such as movies and music.

I'm just saying this is truly the last chance before game over.

You are not kidding. For the last few years there have been digital copies included with BluRay and DVD movies. Now studios are selling ONLY digital copies and holding back on the disc versions as a tease on getting the supplemental features later on.

This has been done before with re-released special editions. However, by first selling only a hard drive clogging download, that is just plain greedy! Sadly the masses will buy this silly approach thinking they "own" the movie and will discover later the cardboard will be the only thing that will last. :?

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425