All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Upcoming record label to press retro game OSTs to vinyl !
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:48 am 
Next-Gen

So I know a guy that's starting up a record label that will be pressing retro video game soundtracks to vinyl. What's more, he's open to suggestions and opinions that I have.

One question that a lot of vinyl enthusiasts will ask is: What will the quality be like? The short answer to that is, don't worry. These will be legit releases. The rights will be obtained, they wont be bootleg releases. He has an audio engineer that is apparently very good. The soundtracks will be properly remastered.

What are some soundtracks that YOU would like to see released?

Post subject: Re: Upcoming record label to press retro game OSTs to vinyl
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:52 am 
Next-Gen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYV4IYo5XYE

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:29 am 
Next-Gen

Streets of Rage 2.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:32 am 
Next-Gen

they'd better be 180g

anyways I'd like Tm Follin stuff on vinyl, don't care what

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:43 am 
Next-Gen

dsheinem wrote:

I feel like that's this forum's version of a rickroll. Sidebar: I hate you a little right now. :)

--

I have the Retro City Rampage soundtrack on vinyl, and...well...it sounds the same as the version I have on CD and the FLAC version they provided. Considering just about every game soundtrack is produced digitally these days, remastered or not, pressing it to vinyl just isn't the same as people want it to be. It's paying top dollar for a completely silly product. I see remastered LPs selling in electronics stores today...which is the remastered CD audio pressed to vinyl. It's just plain silly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:52 am 
Next-Gen

irixith wrote:
dsheinem wrote:

I feel like that's this forum's version of a rickroll. Sidebar: I hate you a little right now. :)

--

I have the Retro City Rampage soundtrack on vinyl, and...well...it sounds the same as the version I have on CD and the FLAC version they provided. Considering just about every game soundtrack is produced digitally these days, remastered or not, pressing it to vinyl just isn't the same as people want it to be. It's paying top dollar for a completely silly product. I see remastered LPs selling in electronics stores today...which is the remastered CD audio pressed to vinyl. It's just plain silly.

Eh that's rarely if ever the case. A lot of CD masters physically couldn't be pressed on vinyl, not without the needle flying all over the place and skipping constantly.

Vinyl typically requires it's own specific master.

...and yeah I wouldn't spend 'top dollar' certainly, but I do enjoy the format a lot and for a reasonable price i'd be interested.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:48 am 
Next-Gen

EllertMichael wrote:
Streets of Rage 2.

Funny you mention that one (I don't know if I can say more).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:06 am 
Next-Gen

irixith wrote:

I don't really wanna go down that road in this thread (we already talk about it in the vinyl thread) because it's a whole can of worms. There's a lot of wrong assumptions though, regarding vinyls. Vinyl doesn't automatically mean better sound quality than CD. Also, your setup matters (a $15 preamp versus a several thousand dollar receiver). If the CD isn't compressed to shit, and the vinyl version sounds just as good, that's NOT a bad thing. There's other benefits of vinyl over CDs, aside from a possible sound quality difference, from a collectors standpoint. Personally, I really enjoy looking at artwork, and that's always better on vinyl over CD.

But I understand the concern completely. I grilled this guy about quality already. With another label that he has, he explained to me that he's doing it right (getting original source where possible and properly mastering it). I'll have to talk to him more about retro game OSTs though, since there isn't gonna be master tapes. I'm curious myself what the process will be. I'll report back when I have more info on that. What I can say now though is that he told me he's got an audio engineer that is apparently very good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:13 am 
Site Admin

Most any Gen 5 RPG soundtrack would be excellent. Heck Sega might let him rerelease the Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:50 am 
Next-Gen

I got the impression that, to start with, he wanted something from the 4th (16-bit) generation. That's not to say that he wont branch out into other eras, but I think he wants to launch with something 16-bit. The 5th generation would be especially nice since most games were on CD and some games had fully orchestrated OSTs.