Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
fuctfuct
128-bit

Legend of Zelda: Link To The Past Gets Unofficial CD Audio

by fuctfuct Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:53 pm

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/super- ... pdate.html

Hope this wasn't already posted. Did a quick search.
aaron
Next-Gen

Re: Legend of Zelda: Link To The Past Gets Unofficial CD Aud

by aaron Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:54 am

fuctfuct wrote:http://www.retrocollect.com/News/super-nintendo-classic-legend-of-zelda-link-to-the-past-gets-unofficial-cd-audio-a-fmv-video-update.html

saw this earlier on another site. really cool. i wonder if this could be done on repro carts.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:39 am

aaron wrote: i wonder if this could be done on repro carts.

Nope, impossible. The Sd2snes supports MSU-1 though, and is the only hardware that does to my knowledge.

fuctfuct wrote:http://www.retrocollect.com/News/super-nintendo-classic-legend-of-zelda-link-to-the-past-gets-unofficial-cd-audio-a-fmv-video-update.html

When I clicked this link, the page loaded but Malwarebytes blocked an IP.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:40 am

I clicked on the link and Malwarebytes started complaining about a malicious website (edgtru.monsterclassifiedsfree.ca). So they may be using a known malvertiser. I'd proceed with caution by using Adblock/NoScript if you feel the need to read the article. Or just watch the Youtube video from the article: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v788KslHvbU
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:48 am

Ziggy587 wrote:

Nope, impossible. The Sd2snes supports MSU-1 though, and is the only hardware that does to my knowledge.

Just to clarify, I shouldn't say it's impossible. Someone could build a repro board with MSU-1, but until then, the only way currently to use MSU-1 on real hardware is with the Sd2snes.
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:59 am

Ziggy587 wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:

Just to clarify, I shouldn't say it's impossible. Someone could build a repro board with MSU-1, but until then, the only way currently to use MSU-1 on real hardware is with the Sd2snes.

gotcha. i'm not familiar with snes cart architecture at all, so it was just a "huh, i wonder" sentiment. still pretty cool.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:51 am

Yeah MSU-1 is essentially an expansion chip that doesn't truly exist. I believe byuu created it for bsnes in order to make cooler hacks possible, then ikari decided to include it as a chip to be done with the fpga on SD2SNES.

I gotta load this up and try it. I was never a huge LttP fan (I know, I know, blasphemy) but I want to see it just the same.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:58 am

bmoc wrote:I clicked on the link and Malwarebytes started complaining about a malicious website (edgtru.monsterclassifiedsfree.ca). So they may be using a known malvertiser. I'd proceed with caution by using Adblock/NoScript if you feel the need to read the article. Or just watch the Youtube video from the article: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v788KslHvbU

It's certainly impressive, so does this basically give the SNES all of the Sega CD's neat qualities?

Besides that, all I can think is "what you fucks gave Link a voice in that FMV that's NOT RIGHT"
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:30 pm

The advantage of the SCD considering it didn't do much to boost the Genesis hardware itself was to allow for more storage, cd quality audio, movies. I don't know all the tech about the MSU1 but I think it wouldn't be a stretch to say you're right since you're getting more storage, cd quality audio, and those movies and since it's not on a disc, it's faster with no load times.

I wish that site that was tied in the earlier posts didn't mandate a registration to check out the music, the videos and the rest. I'd just like to sample all the movies they lifted to put into the old game.
ryanstein
24-bit

by ryanstein Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:14 pm

While very impressive, I think I still prefer the original due to nostalgia reasons. Though, I wonder if this could be added to a Retron 5 with the IPS swap trick and maybe an emulator APK addition or change to BSNES. I can't remember if there's a BSNES port to android though, which would definitely impair that.
Return to Old-School Gaming News