Retrovision Making Component Cables for SNES/Genesis

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
MrPopo

Re: Retrovision Making Component Cables for SNES/Genesis

Post by MrPopo »

Ziggy587 wrote:My suggestion would be the same for the Genesis, but that console can't output S-Video without being modified. This cable would be perfect for those that want something better than composite but cannot modify the console themselves. Same goes for the SNES if your new HDTV doesn't have S-Video. That is, of course, depending on how much these cables end up costings versus how much other (possibly better or equal) solutions would cost.

That's why I'm really only looking for Genny cables. The SNES looks great by using S-Video.

Regarding input lag, I suspect these cables won't do much to help in that regard. It's really a function of the TV doing post processing. The nice thing about the X-RGB is it outputs a PC signal, so the TV will go into monitor mode, rather than acting as a TV trying to clean up a signal.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Simply put, is this better than standard composite for the Genesis on a ED/HD CRT?

Is it better than a modded S-Video signal?
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

JoeAwesome wrote:Simply put, is this better than standard composite for the Genesis on a ED/HD CRT?

Better than composite, comparable to s-vid
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

That's what I thought, but thanks for confirming.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

MrPopo wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:My suggestion would be the same for the Genesis, but that console can't output S-Video without being modified. This cable would be perfect for those that want something better than composite but cannot modify the console themselves. Same goes for the SNES if your new HDTV doesn't have S-Video. That is, of course, depending on how much these cables end up costings versus how much other (possibly better or equal) solutions would cost.

That's why I'm really only looking for Genny cables. The SNES looks great by using S-Video.

But since you have the XRGB-3, why not use RGB for the Genesis? And why not RGB for the SNES as well?

Jmustang1968 wrote:
JoeAwesome wrote:Simply put, is this better than standard composite for the Genesis on a ED/HD CRT?

Better than composite, comparable to s-vid

+1

That is, assuming quality of the cable and all that. If it's some sort of 1 chip RGB-YPbPr conversion that fits inline with a cable, we'll have to see how good it is. Or assuming the YPbPr encoding is flawless, they could potentially wreck it with cheap cables. But I'd like to think they'd build these with decent cables, otherwise, what's the point?

I, for one, would definitely like to know how they're encoding YPbPr.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ziggy587 wrote:
MrPopo wrote:

But since you have the XRGB-3, why not use RGB for the Genesis? And why not RGB for the SNES as well?

Tried it with the SNES and it was temperamental and didn't want to work. And I was using a Japanese RGB cable. Honestly S-Video is just fine; the main reason I have it is to combat input lag. It's just the Genny looks so terrible on composite.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Post by ApolloBoy »

Ziggy587 wrote:YPbPr offers basically no advantage over S-Video for ~240 video.

Bullshit. The same goes for RGB as well, it beats the snot out of S-video.
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

ApolloBoy wrote:

RGB and YPbPr are very different, despite many people on the internet claiming they're "equals". If you wanna say RGB beats the snot out of S-Video, I'm not gonna argue at all. But saying that YPbPr has a massive improvement over S-Video with 240 sources, you're really kidding yourself if you believe that.

Again, for DVDs, other 480 resolution sources, and 720p/1080i, yeah, component all day over S-Video. But for 240p like SNES, Genesis, N64, etc... YPbPr has no real visual improvement over S-Video.

People agreeing with me: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=124838#p124838
Taintedreality
8-bit

Post by Taintedreality »

Ziggy587 wrote:
ApolloBoy wrote:

RGB and YPbPr are very different, despite many people on the internet claiming they're "equals". If you wanna say RGB beats the snot out of S-Video, I'm not gonna argue at all. But saying that YPbPr has a massive improvement over S-Video with 240 sources, you're really kidding yourself if you believe that.

Again, for DVDs, other 480 resolution sources, and 720p/1080i, yeah, component all day over S-Video. But for 240p like SNES, Genesis, N64, etc... YPbPr has no real visual improvement over S-Video.

People agreeing with me: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=124838#p124838

Ugh, reading this thread makes my brain wanna melt. I just got my XRGB-mini in the mail. As soon as I get the English firmware, I'm gonna see what it's really capable of and screw with the settings. But I did my own little test and before I hooked it up, I played Sonic 3 for a few minutes on composite, then hooked in the XRGB-mini via SCART. Even on its standard settings, night and day. I just think I'm gonna be happy with this set-up for the foreseeable future.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Taintedreality wrote:Ugh, reading this thread makes my brain wanna melt.

I don't understand what you're trying to say in regards to the posts that you quoted.

Taintedreality wrote:I just got my XRGB-mini in the mail. As soon as I get the English firmware, I'm gonna see what it's really capable of and screw with the settings. But I did my own little test and before I hooked it up, I played Sonic 3 for a few minutes on composite, then hooked in the XRGB-mini via SCART. Even on its standard settings, night and day. I just think I'm gonna be happy with this set-up for the foreseeable future.

The Genesis is gonna show the most dramatic improvement just because of how shitty the composite quality is out of that console. Composite is so much worse out of the Genesis than any other console I've seen. But yeah, the XRGB mini is amazing, you're gonna like it a lot. I think with all the talk on the internet about it, the bar is set a little high. But overall, it's the best thing to use for retro consoles on HDTVs. The only thing I really don't like about it... It seems like almost every consoles needs at least minor changes to settings. I wish there were profiles that you could save settings to. So you could make profile 1 NES, profile 2 SNES, etc etc.

I'd recommend getting this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/XRGB-Mini-Frame ... 35cbc7149d

Some people say you don't need it since you can easily figure out what all the buttons do. Well that's true, but I'm never gonna have them memorized. I got this overlay and it's actually very good quality.