Hyperkin’s Retron5 License Violations :P

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Ziggy

Re: Hyperkin’s Retron5 License Violations :P

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:Ziggy.... take your drama to the other boards discussing this topic you'd fit in nicely. Notice the "to play devil's advocate" verbiage... you then proceed to wiki a topic I know a lot about & act like an IP attorney. I was starting a discussion... you know... the purpose of online message boards.

Why are you on the attack? I wasn't trying to flame you out.

You started a discussion, exactly. That was me continuing the discussion. No drama intended.

I linked the Wiki topic for those not familiar with what you were talking about.

I'm not acting like an IP attorney. I simply stated what both situations were/are (Ford and ALAM, Hyperkin and emulators). I fail to see how one relates to the other, which is exactly the point I opened with.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Maru I don't blame you or anyone as I have no proof in hand, just the story. I just know long ago in another state and life shady things were afoot.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

nightrnr wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:How does that compare to Hyperkin? Is Hyperkin suppose to be Ford?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Licensed_Automobile_Manufacturers

ALAM was a greedy organization that chose who could make cars, who couldn't, and collected ridiculous royalties. When Ford was denied a license, he identified that ALAM was evil and reasoned that something should be done. Ford only wanted the automobile to be affordable for everyone, not just a select few.

Hyperkin, apparently, used emulators in their Retron5 that were freely available on the internet. If YOU spent countless hours coding something, with no intent of ever charging for it, only to have some company profit from it... wouldn't you be pissed? It's not at all the same as what Ford did.
So then, if they had every user download/install the emulators separately (not part of the purchase price), would there not be a problem?

If so, it seems like it would have been an easy issue to avoid.

That makes sense to keep everything legit. The Emulators were coded to be free and licensed as such. Though less Retrons would sale if this had happened, the system could simply be upgraded after a purchase with a system update full of EMUs downloaded to SD Card. A silly solution since the end result would be the same. It would be like buying a PC with just the operating system and downloading the free Emulators yourself.

Someone mentioned earlier that Hyperkin could claim the hardware is the price and as a bonus includes the freeware Emulators. Obviously the EMUs are a big portion of the selling point; the original authors really should be compensated to instill continual developement. Another can of worms is to find the original authors for compensation since many of the EMUs have so many coders over the years improving each revision.

Maybe this is why Hyperkin went ahead and released the console, knowing it would be difficult to prove in court who owns the Emulators?

@ Ziggy - That was an interesting article concerning the Automobile patent. Not sure if it fully corelates since both car entities were seeking a profit versus the Hyperkin situation.

However, good thing Ford prevailed, imagine if that Electric Car took precedance back in the 1900s? Maybe the electric car would have gained a foothold in the beginning since ALL automobile manufacturers would have to pay a license fee back to the Electric Car Company. A reverse situation happened many decades later (Who Killed The Electric Car), sadly this time the oil industry and big three car manufacturers prevented consumer choice of a non gas powered vehicle back in the 1990s. I really would like to have owned one of those EVOs with the woosh low volume jet sound. Fortunately we now have the electric transport option today, though still expensive. :?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

pepharytheworm wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:Ziggy.... take your drama to the other boards discussing this topic you'd fit in nicely. Notice the "to play devil's advocate" verbiage... you then proceed to wiki a topic I know a lot about & act like an IP attorney. I was starting a discussion... you know... the purpose of online message boards.

How was his response not furthering the discussion? It seems you took personally offense.

The "YOU" in all caps is a pretty decent indicator it was directed at me rather my hypothetical comparison.. nor in the intent of simply furthering discussion.

Back to the topic... I'm indifferent on this, seeing both sides. Freeware is free... but not out there for you to make money. Then again, how many products are out there doing just this? There is likely case law out there in favor of both sides. At that point, it comes down to who can lawyer up the best & hyperlinks pockets are deeper than some guy in his basement creating emus.

How do companies get away with using Linux based systems. Who gets a cut there? Google makes a ton of each Android phone with Linux code on it.

Edit: Just saw your new post clarifying Ziggy. Your initial response seemed pompous & directed at me. Im not a timid guy who is afraid to point that out lol. Apparently read too deep. No worries here. Seems your Wiki article did help some ppl as well. B)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:The "YOU" in all caps is a pretty decent indicator it was directed at me rather my hypothetical comparison.. nor in the intent of simply furthering discussion.

Edit: Just saw your new post clarifying Ziggy. Your initial response seemed pompous & directed at me. Im not a timid guy who is afraid to point that out lol. Apparently read too deep. No worries here. Seems your Wiki article did help some ppl as well. B)

Yeah, I meant that "you" as a generic you. It was just to state that side of the argument, and not intended to refer to anyone specific.

But no worries. It's not the first time some one got the wrong vibe from a post of mine (Ack, I'm looking at you!) and it probably wont be the last.

CRTGAMER wrote:However, good thing Ford prevailed

Yeah, you should watch the History Channel mini series called "The Men Who Built America." IIRC, Ford won his court case right around the same time the courts were breaking up the ruthless monopolies the country had at that time, so it was good timing for him. Also, I've seen that documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car" before. I think you'd like "The Men Who Built America," you should give it a watch.
Purkeynator
64-bit

Post by Purkeynator »

foxhound1022 wrote:My question is: Whoever has the rights to the code, or whatever, did they have any plans to release a piece of hardware to the community?

Yeah that's how I see it. Hyperkin took something with no value to me (emulators) and added value to it through hardware that can play the original carts. At least now the emulators are being used to play legitimately purchased games rather than roms downloaded off the internet en mass.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ziggy587 wrote:(Ack, I'm looking at you!)

Yeah, screw you too, Ziggy! I love you!
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

i'm just trying to start a discussion!

don't start a discussion with me you dickhead!
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Purkeynator wrote:
foxhound1022 wrote:My question is: Whoever has the rights to the code, or whatever, did they have any plans to release a piece of hardware to the community?

Yeah that's how I see it. Hyperkin took something with no value to me (emulators) and added value to it through hardware that can play the original carts. At least now the emulators are being used to play legitimately purchased games rather than roms downloaded off the internet en mass.

Probably the true-est argument I've seen in this whole entire thread so far to be honest about the r5's whole thing...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Well, that was what I was kinda driving at.

This is something that people who wanted a viable alternative to having multiple consoles hooked up, and is usable on newer TV's.

I do agree the way they went about it is shitty, but the end result is a console that was made for people who have enough passion for our collective hobby, addiction, etc.; that we actually own these pieces of what has and will eventually become gaming history.