ULTIMATE Old-School Gaming TV??? (Might Be!)

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
artphotodude

Re: ULTIMATE Old-School Gaming TV??? (Might Be!)

Post by artphotodude »

Shogun wrote:Is this different than a typical tri-sync monitor? I have a NEC XM29 Plus and it does 15khz 240p all the way up to 1080i as well. I had never heard of these. I'm curious how the picture quality compares to the NEC or Sony PVR series.

It is the same type of product. Damn those things used to be expensive!!!!
artphotodude

Post by artphotodude »

theclaw wrote:
Anapan wrote:This is all very cool. I couldn't find one locally, but I'll definitely be sniffing around.

You can get the equivalent of a PS2 Linux/VGA cable by using a Sync Strike. Switch your PS2 to RGB and use a generic Sony-to-SCART cable. Those other cables are rare and hard-to-find.

Won't that only work for games without 480p? PS2 switches its RGB to sync on green if it detects a game using high-resolution modes.

You are right - that was the issue with the DVD/RGB playback when it first launched. So a component to VGA transcoder is probably required. The crappy thing is that ones that support both 480i and any 'p' setting are UBER expensive. With PS2 and GC, this is usually not a problem to switch to 480p during boot by holding x and triangle, so 480i transcoder support would likley be skipped over.
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

artphotodude wrote:You are right - that was the issue with the DVD/RGB playback when it first launched. So a component to VGA transcoder is probably required. The crappy thing is that ones that support both 480i and any 'p' setting are UBER expensive. With PS2 and GC, this is usually not a problem to switch to 480p during boot by holding x and triangle, so 480i transcoder support would likley be skipped over.

Meh a 480p only scaler is worse. Not enough compatibility, can't even view the system menus.
Lum fan.
artphotodude

Post by artphotodude »

theclaw wrote:
artphotodude wrote:You are right - that was the issue with the DVD/RGB playback when it first launched. So a component to VGA transcoder is probably required. The crappy thing is that ones that support both 480i and any 'p' setting are UBER expensive. With PS2 and GC, this is usually not a problem to switch to 480p during boot by holding x and triangle, so 480i transcoder support would likley be skipped over.

Meh a 480p only scaler is worse. Not enough compatibility, can't even view the system menus.

Well, at least there is no shortage of progressive scan tvs out there. But for a retro setup, this is pretty nice. The difference between S-Video and SD component is barely noticeable, but that coupled with the ability to use lightgun games, and also hook-in Dreamcast VGA, or perhaps a vintage Mac/PC for retro computer gaming on the same system for cheap is no small thing.

To be honest, 480p is not really that special anyway. Most PS2 games look better in S-Video anyway.