The Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment in Oakland

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
8BitMagic
16-bit

The Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment in Oakland

Post by 8BitMagic »

Stumbled upon this place walking by the other day and I was surprised I hadn't heard of it sooner and especially to find no mention of it here.

http://themade.org/

http://themade.org/faq

Here are a few pics (sorry about the quality), doesn't really do the collection justice but you get the idea. :wink:

Currently they're doing a Lucas Art's themed installation:

If you're in the bay area you should definitely stop by!
8bit
Next-Gen

Re: The Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment in Oakland

Post by 8bit »

Pretty neat but I worry that they will ever have the audience or full public support to take it from a basic startup idea to full fledge museum that really educates the masses. The classes they offer free to the public are a good first baby step I guess. I also wonder what their funding/fund raising is like since its not a business that brings in revenue...

On another note, I think that The Museum of Play in New York has already beat the to the punch with the worlds first fully realized interactive museum that features video and electronic games. It has collections of Pinball, Arcade, Computer, and Console video games plus tons of other exhibits and collections... It is seriously amazing!!

http://www.museumofplay.org/collections
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
TheMADEgames

Post by TheMADEgames »

8bit wrote:Pretty neat but I worry that they will ever have the audience or full public support to take it from a basic startup idea to full fledge museum that really educates the masses. The classes they offer free to the public are a good first baby step I guess. I also wonder what their funding/fund raising is like since its not a business that brings in revenue...

On another note, I think that The Museum of Play in New York has already beat the to the punch with the worlds first fully realized interactive museum that features video and electronic games. It has collections of Pinball, Arcade, Computer, and Console video games plus tons of other exhibits and collections... It is seriously amazing!!

http://www.museumofplay.org/collections

Well, yeah, the Museum of Play in New York may have the largest free-play games museum on the East Coast, but that doesn't exactly offer much for the rest of us over here on the West Coast. But the most I've seen of the MOP has been through online reviews and their website. It's something entirely different to go there in person, no doubt!
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Come visit! I'll take you guys to the MoP and then we can go play more games at my place :lol:

Though last time I was there (admittedly a couple years ago), it was coin-operated on the arcade cabs unfortunately. Might have changed by now.

Kinda a cool place, even on top of the video games.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

KalessinDB wrote:Come visit! I'll take you guys to the MoP and then we can go play more games at my place :lol:

I may take you up on this in the fall.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Honestly if this was just another game room thread I'm not sure I would've been able to tell.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

I'm gonna be in Norcal for a few weeks come October, I will definitely make it out to this place.

@ those talking about the Strong Museum of Play in NY, if those still interested are coordinating trips, I can get me and 4 other people in for free through the month of September (workplace promotion). I would totally come out multiple times if people wanted to make trips out of it, also have many places to take people for afterhours play :mrgreen:, If you have ideas Kalessin, hit me up!
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
TheMADEgames

Post by TheMADEgames »

cha cha wrote:I'm gonna be in Norcal for a few weeks come October, I will definitely make it out to this place.

@ those talking about the Strong Museum of Play in NY, if those still interested are coordinating trips, I can get me and 4 other people in for free through the month of September (workplace promotion). I would totally come out multiple times if people wanted to make trips out of it, also have many places to take people for after-hours play :mrgreen:, If you have ideas Kalessin, hit me up!

Great! We'll keep an eye out for you around October! There's also lots of places to eat and drink and plenty of emerging nightlife around the area, too! :)
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

TheMADEgames wrote:Great! We'll keep an eye out for you around October! There's also lots of places to eat and drink and plenty of emerging nightlife around the area, too! :)

Glad to hear! What is your typical weekday foot traffic like in terms of crowds? Also is there a "best" time to come, in order to get the most unimpeded time with everything you have to offer?
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

cha cha wrote:I'm gonna be in Norcal for a few weeks come October, I will definitely make it out to this place.

@ those talking about the Strong Museum of Play in NY, if those still interested are coordinating trips, I can get me and 4 other people in for free through the month of September (workplace promotion). I would totally come out multiple times if people wanted to make trips out of it, also have many places to take people for afterhours play :mrgreen:, If you have ideas Kalessin, hit me up!

Shit son... I'm off the first couple weeks of September, once I come back from Dragoncon I'm down for whatever. I'll PM when we get closer so as to not continue to threadjack, since I won't be in Cali until next April, and it'll be Southern when I do :lol:
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread