Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
User avatar
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6502
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

by Jmustang1968 Fri May 09, 2014 8:28 pm

lol at route20. Now who is spreading misinformation? Acting like you are a customer on the fence seriously considering the product but unsure about the marketing in order to bad mouth them.
User avatar
route20
8-bit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 10:30 am

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

by route20 Fri May 09, 2014 8:30 pm

christoph wrote:Well, among other false claims, you posted on tumblr things like: "Analouge is a company well known in the Neo-Geo community for being scammers"


You can go to the Neo-Geo community forum right now and find plenty of people calling you exactly that. I'm not sure how it's a lie.
mjmjr25
 

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

by mjmjr25 Fri May 09, 2014 8:35 pm

Route - your off base now. There is no legitimacy to calling Chris or AI scammers. I've seen him go above and beyond to fix the issues that have arisen. No one has claimed things didn't arrive, etc. There are def. legit questions and imo Chris could have handled this much better. A few CMVS's had issues with wood and Chris offers to replace / repair. A few have had issues with cables and Chris has worked to troubleshoot.

Yes, some guys prefer the Omega and they say why. Some guys don't like Chris. But no one has legitimately said he every scammed anything - stay on point. Come correct or don't post.
User avatar
route20
8-bit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 10:30 am

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

by route20 Fri May 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Jmustang1968 wrote:lol at route20. Now who is spreading misinformation? Acting like you are a customer on the fence seriously considering the product but unsure about the marketing in order to bad mouth them.


I am potentially interested in buying an RGB modded NES. When this was announced I was VERY interested. I am this guy's exact potential customer, yet every single detail that has come out about this product not only repels me but seems shady as hell. I wanted to say that and I have. I don't really think I have anything more to say, sorry for interrupting the cheerleading I guess?
User avatar
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6502
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

by Jmustang1968 Fri May 09, 2014 8:36 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:Hold on, Chris. I don't know route, and I know you've been hit hard on neo, but not all concerns and questions are disingenuous. The reality is this is more marketer than member and a lot of us (particularly me) aren't use to that. Christoph has long been a respected member of this and other forums.

There have been basic questions from day 1 of launch:
- Are you using Viletims RGBNES pcb's?
- Are you saccing original NES / FAMICOM CPU/PPU's?
- What is the price going to be?
- How are you achieving the HDMI?
- Will there be custom controllers?
- How is this going to output stereo when some NES games don't output stereo?

These are all easily answered questions. Each and every question evolved from the initial post Chris placed on the various forums. It took 2 months to answer them. Now that potential buyers are getting the answers - there are more questions.

I've seen similar threads about the xbone, wii u, and ps4 - constant questions about decisions made. The difference here is we have a direct line to the manufacturer, a forum member, so yes, there is frustration that it's taken months to answer questions that mostly could've been answered with "Yes" or "No". Call it marketing - cool, but then treat it like we treat any other marketed product.

I reckon I was more excited about this product than quite possibly any other person on the planet, aside Chris. My home is filled with one-off's that Chris has done custom for me. I reckon I have more of his work than any other person alive, again, aside Chris. So yeah, as I stated, I was disappointed at the marketing aspect when I consider him a friend and a forum member first, a marketer second. I'll still gladly try out a beta unit as we had discussed and if I love it - i'll sing it's praises.

Chris is my homey for as long as i've been on this board - but in his role as marketing this high end product, questions need to be answered. Ziggy's questions have been helpful too as I now exclusively use an N8.


Chris seems to have answered all those questions and concerns that arose from what he described as his initial teaser. I have had no issues with the questions that have been asked, and many of them have been good ones and informative. My only issue came up with the new user route20 and the nature of his badmouthing and instigating in the guise of being a potential consumer asking questions.
Last edited by Jmustang1968 on Fri May 09, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6502
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

by Jmustang1968 Fri May 09, 2014 8:38 pm

route20 wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:lol at route20. Now who is spreading misinformation? Acting like you are a customer on the fence seriously considering the product but unsure about the marketing in order to bad mouth them.


I am potentially interested in buying an RGB modded NES. When this was announced I was VERY interested. I am this guy's exact potential customer, yet every single detail that has come out about this product not only repels me but seems shady as hell. I wanted to say that and I have. I don't really think I have anything more to say, sorry for interrupting the cheerleading I guess?


Cheerleading? If you follow this thread, there are many of us who have questioned things and the price.

Why would you buy from him if he, according to you, is a scammer on previous items?
User avatar
christoph
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:05 pm
Location: USA

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

by christoph Fri May 09, 2014 8:45 pm

Oh, no, no. I'm not saying that any questions are disingenuous. I'm saying Route20's claims are...read his tumblr and twitter posts... I have no problem with anybody who doesn't like the Nt...I'm just pointing out that he's already spreading lies (that were scammers) so he's clearly not here out of good nature and he's got an axe to grind.

Again, right - those questions were all asked after putting up a teaser!! We weren't ready to release all the information. We weren't taking pre-orders either. Obviously this irritated some people because they want to know exactly "how" we were doing what we claimed. But yeah, I can still understand the frustration.

That said, all these questions have been answered at this point! Every question you listed. I can re-answer them again for consolidation:

- Are you using Viletims RGBNES pcb's?

Yes, the Nt uses the NESRGB design.

- Are you saccing original NES / FAMICOM CPU/PPU's?

We use original CPU and PPU's from HVC-001 units.

- How are you achieving the HDMI?

The HDMI Adapter (sold separately) is a custom developed RGB > HDMI upscaler. It's achieved through the upscaler.

- Will there be custom controllers?

While we have them designed, it's unfortunately too costly to produce them at the quality we'd be happy with. So unfortunately no.

- How is this going to output stereo when some NES games don't output stereo?

It's "mixed" stereo, not true stereo. The Nt separates the five sound channels and splits them into left and right. The way we refer to this is "Stereophonic Sound Effect". It is adjustable between Mono and SSE as Mono is the original way it was intended to be heard.
Last edited by christoph on Fri May 09, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
christoph
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:05 pm
Location: USA

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

by christoph Fri May 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Also yeah, of course I still want to get a beta unit in your hands!
User avatar
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 21718
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:28 pm
Location: Under a pile of retro stuff in H-town

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

by Hobie-wan Fri May 09, 2014 8:50 pm

So for the people crying for all the unloved yellow Famicoms (which I saw plenty in junk bins in Japan too when I was there) being used, where are the people crying for all the perfectly good unyellowed PS1 screens murdered to make portables? Have you adopted a piss yellow and lavender harlequin SNES today? Are console painters the modern equivalent of gas chamber* workers? Does using an ugly paddle toggle switch hanging off your system like a tumor for a region mod make you the antichrist? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

Film at 11.

:roll:

*really, the Famicaust thing is fucking stupid and disrespectful
User avatar
route20
8-bit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 10:30 am

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

by route20 Fri May 09, 2014 8:50 pm

christoph wrote:Oh, no, no. I'm not saying that any questions are disingenuous. I'm saying Route20's claims are...read his tumblr and twitter posts... I have no problem with anybody who doesn't like the Nt...I'm just pointing out that he's already spreading lies (that were scammers) so he's clearly not here out of good nature and he's got an axe to grind.

Again, right - those questions were all asked after putting up a teaser!! We weren't ready to release all the information. We weren't taking pre-orders either. Obviously this irritated some people because they want to know exactly "how" we were doing what we claimed. But yeah, I can still understand the frustration.

That said, all these questions have been answered at this point! Every question you listed. I can re-answer them again for consolidation:

- Are you using Viletims RGBNES pcb's?

Yes, the Nt uses the NESRGB design.

- Are you saccing original NES / FAMICOM CPU/PPU's?

We use original CPU and PPU's from HVC-001 units.

- How are you achieving the HDMI?

The HDMI Adapter (sold separately) is a custom developed RGB > HDMI upscaler. It's achieved through the upscaler.

- Will there be custom controllers?

While we have them designed, it's unfortunately too costly to produce them at the quality we'd be happy with. So no.

- How is this going to output stereo when some NES games don't output stereo?

It's "mixed" stereo, not true stereo. The Nt separates the five sound channels and splits them into left and right. The way we refer to this is "Stereophonic Sound Effect". It is adjustable between Mono and SSE as Mono is the original way it was intended to be heard.


Why were these questions not answered immediately? You keep saying it's a teaser as if that justifies it, when it really seems you didn't want to come out with the facts until after the preorders have come in. You're very forthcoming now, after everyone's put their cash down.

Hobie-wan wrote:So for the people crying for all the unloved yellow Famicoms (which I saw plenty in junk bins in Japan too when I was there) being used, where are the people crying for all the perfectly good unyellowed PS1 screens murdered to make portables? Have you adopted a piss yellow and lavender harlequin SNES today? Are console painters the modern equivalent of gas chamber* workers? Does using an ugly paddle toggle switch hanging off your system like a tumor for a region mod make you the antichrist? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

Film at 11.

:roll:

*really, the Famicaust thing is fucking stupid and disrespectful


Great job trivializing something others care about, A+.
Return to Old-School Gaming News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests