Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

by Jmustang1968 Fri May 09, 2014 8:12 pm

route20 wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:I see it as much to do about nothing. It basically is what it was described to be initially. The big sticking point is either price or the harvesting of famicoms. Your issue seems to be the latter.

But yeah, that's what marketing is, to make their item sound appealing. I didn't see any lies in the marketing. There is fraud going on? what?

If it is not a big deal to you then why not either take your own advice and buy it (or not) instead of trying to make the concerns of others seem insignificant?

I am saying these posts complaining someone dare sell something for a certain price, or that they werent 100% transparent yet didn't lie, etc... arent that big of a deal.

I reply because this is a public forum. You say your piece, I say mine, we discuss, you should know the routine. If you didn't want anyone disagreeing with you, why not just email him in the link he provided? Or do you only want to hear from those who agree?
christoph
Next-Gen

by christoph Fri May 09, 2014 8:13 pm

@route20

Not explicitly referring to "RGB" as "NESRGB" is not being dishonest, in any way. The part numbers or functionality of every single tech spec is not listed either. I've received very many emails asking if it is an NESRGB as well as requests for the details on other unlisted technical information and I'm always happy to provide it.

The only thread I posted was in March, nothing else since then. All of the information wasn't provided then because it was a teaser. If you have a technical question or anything else for that matter, our emails are always read and responded to. Accurately.

I would never spread misinformation. We've been around for almost 4 years and have zero history of doing so.
christoph
Next-Gen

by christoph Fri May 09, 2014 8:15 pm

route20 wrote:Why am I being shouted down for asking questions/voicing concerns about a product I'm considering buying? Let the maker of the product answer. Isn't that what this thread's for? He seems to complain a lot about getting run off other forums, but any time someone dare voice concern some people come out and trivialize it. Very strange.

Wait, you're interested in buying one? Even after posting lies like this? I recognized your user name from tumblr / twitter.

Man, this project is bringing people out of the woodwork.
Last edited by christoph on Fri May 09, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Fri May 09, 2014 8:18 pm

route20 wrote:
TSTR wrote:butthurt

Just because you don't have the same concerns as others doesn't invalidate them. This is a pretty immature way to look at things don't you think?

Note that I never said anyone's questions or concerns about it don't matter. I just tend to find making a parody Twitter account and image macros claiming AI is run by evil, money-grubbing douchebags hell bent on destroying every Famicom in existence pretty silly.

Not to mention a bit immature, don't you think?
route20
8-bit

by route20 Fri May 09, 2014 8:21 pm

christoph wrote:
route20 wrote:Why am I being shouted down for asking questions/voicing concerns about a product I'm considering buying? Let the maker of the product answer. Isn't that what this thread's for? He seems to complain a lot about getting run off other forums, but any time someone dare voice concern some people come out and trivialize it. Very strange.

Wait, you're interested in buying one? Even after posting lies like this?I recognized your user name from tumblr / twitter.

Man, this project is bringing people out of the woodwork.

Great job sherlock, it's not like I'm trying to hide who I am or my opinions about your product. Is the leader of a company internet detectiveing his products detractors not just a bit shady? You decide.
christoph
Next-Gen

by christoph Fri May 09, 2014 8:21 pm

I think companies should be upfront and honest about their products, from day one, particularly when the audience they're targeting (people who would spend $500 on a NES) probably knows more about this sort of thing than the average joe who would take just a single look at the thing and say "that's idiotic" and move on. Their ad copy makes it out to be some kind of revolutionary device that's never been seen before and brushing that off as "just marketing" is disingenuous and not helpful to anybody. Marketing should always be questioned, particularly by it's target. The less the game community proves itself to be willing victims of fraud, the less it will happen. Do you want a reputation like the audiophiles have?

1. In March a teaser goes up. Limited information is provided because it is a teaser. No pre-orders or sales take place.

2. On 5/5, this last Monday, all Analogue Nt details are released and pre-orders are opened.

I do think it is a revolutionary device and so does everybody whose pre-ordered one. All of this 'fraud', 'disingenuous' stuff is getting way out of line. Jmustang1968 is right, it's conspiratorial.

It's important to understand that while some of these modifications and features are well known within the hardcore community, 99% of the world has never heard of them. An "NESRGB" doesn't mean anything to them. Those that are curious or would like more technical information can ask and they get all the information they're looking for. I love talking about the technical stuff - this is what we've been working on for a year now ;)
Last edited by christoph on Fri May 09, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
christoph
Next-Gen

by christoph Fri May 09, 2014 8:24 pm

route20 wrote:Great job sherlock, it's not like I'm trying to hide who I am or my opinions about your product. Is the leader of a company internet detectiveing his products detractors not just a bit shady? You decide.

It didn't take any 'detective' work, only you directly tweeting to the Analogue account... I'm pointing out that you don't seem to be here out of good nature, but for the reasons exactly as TSTR pointed out.
route20
8-bit

by route20 Fri May 09, 2014 8:25 pm

christoph wrote:I'm pointing out that you don't seem to be here out of good nature.

That's correct, I have plenty of misgivings about your product. Why is that a problem?

EDIT:

TSTR wrote:Note that I never said anyone's questions or concerns about it don't matter. I just tend to find making a parody Twitter account and image macros claiming AI is run by evil, money-grubbing douchebags hell bent on destroying every Famicom in existence pretty silly.

Not to mention a bit immature, don't you think?

I agree that the parody Twitter account and a few of the image macros are in incredibly bad taste. I didn't have anything to do with that, there are plenty of others who have the same problem with this system.
Last edited by route20 on Fri May 09, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
christoph
Next-Gen

by christoph Fri May 09, 2014 8:27 pm

Well, among other false claims, you posted on tumblr things like: "Analouge is a company well known in the Neo-Geo community for being scammers"

That is not true and never has been true, so I'm assuming you are here for the same reason - to spread lies.
Last edited by christoph on Fri May 09, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Fri May 09, 2014 8:27 pm

Hold on, Chris. I don't know route, and I know you've been hit hard on neo, but not all concerns and questions are disingenuous. The reality is this is more marketer than member and a lot of us (particularly me) aren't use to that. Christoph has long been a respected member of this and other forums.

There have been basic questions from day 1 of launch:
- Are you using Viletims RGBNES pcb's?
- Are you saccing original NES / FAMICOM CPU/PPU's?
- What is the price going to be?
- How are you achieving the HDMI?
- Will there be custom controllers?
- How is this going to output stereo when some NES games don't output stereo?

These are all easily answered questions. Each and every question evolved from the initial post Chris placed on the various forums. It took 2 months to answer them. Now that potential buyers are getting the answers - there are more questions.

I've seen similar threads about the xbone, wii u, and ps4 - constant questions about decisions made. The difference here is we have a direct line to the manufacturer, a forum member, so yes, there is frustration that it's taken months to answer questions that mostly could've been answered with "Yes" or "No". Call it marketing - cool, but then treat it like we treat any other marketed product.

I reckon I was more excited about this product than quite possibly any other person on the planet, aside Chris. My home is filled with one-off's that Chris has done custom for me. I reckon I have more of his work than any other person alive, again, aside Chris. So yeah, as I stated, I was disappointed at the marketing aspect when I consider him a friend and a forum member first, a marketer second. I'll still gladly try out a beta unit as we had discussed and if I love it - i'll sing it's praises.

Chris is my homey for as long as i've been on this board - but in his role as marketing this high end product, questions need to be answered. Ziggy's questions have been helpful too as I now exclusively use an N8.
Return to Old-School Gaming News